The History of Michael Novakov

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

budgie
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

The History of Michael Novakov

Post by budgie »

Where do I start with such an underated legend?

Nov was once or twice featured in Surfing World mag and from the photos instantly become my kneeeboarding hero

Then in the 82 or 83 Oz titles at Cabarita in northern NSW, I arrived hungover and late for a heat with my hero.

I paddled out late as I mentioned and watched him pull the ariel 360 s he was famous for and just collapsed in the heat beaten before I had caught a wave.

Nov back then was more radical than the up and coming South African foot boarder Martin Potter who had ariels down to a T

Nov as I said to you the last time I saw you 2 years ago at Phillip Island I still have fond memories of your radical and still unsurpassed kneeboarding

you are still my favourite ever kneeboarder

Budgie
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

The only kboarder to make the Australian surfing hall of fame the same yr as Damion Hardman :P
poorboy0007
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by poorboy0007 »

I saw a Nov Hot Buttered Rainbow graphic board on ebay the other day! Took me back 25 or so years (sorry Michael) to when I started.

Nov was the inspriration for many kneelos then and we have a lot to thank him for now!!

However, Nov was also responsible for more kneelos landing head first on the reef while trying the barrel-roll!! I tried once for a time but enjoyed living way too much to continue trying! He was and still is indeed 'The Man!'
Quick, lets paddle out before we come to our senses!!
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Thanks for starting this Budgie, and for the info guys. I met Mike at the Worlds in NZ 2009. It was a pleasure to chat with him at the restaurant. I saw him pull off a few 360 loops on waves, not spinners. The guy still rips!
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Mike by "360 loop" do you mean like a carving 360 turn ? Wow. What does he ride now, ...Aussie style quads or tri-fins ?
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Yes, a carving one at the end of his waves in NZ. He had them 4/5ths of the way around on most, and would land it at the end coming over with the whitewash.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
wolruss

Post by wolruss »

Fossil, believe Mike, Novo and his sons - Matt & Tom - are very proficient kneeboarders, I can't wait to get into the next age group so's I won't have to surf against him :roll:

Cheers Wolruss
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

anyone else remember nov doing an upsidedown reo under an 8' snapper lip at the DBah comp early 80's the whole beach went oooowwww faaark orfff.
And wolruss your a rare breed only bloke i know who can't wait to get older :lol:
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

I remember Novo doing those "el rolos" quite a bit in that surf video "Waterslaughter" at Black Rock. Those were pretty awesome :)
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Hey Fossil,

I only met Michael one time in NZ last year and it was a pleasure! Somehow the topic of trifin kneeboards came up and I can tell you that he's a devoted rider of three fin boards. Brad
Fossil Man

Post by Fossil Man »

Thanks Southpeak, I was wondering what his preference is these days on fin set-ups. I think in all that footage from Waterslaughter he was on some kind of twinnie but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. Waterslaughter...great surf flick w/ classic Nov and Simon, anyone out there able to make a copy of that ?
Kneeboarding since 1976; always searching for the ultimate sled, always in awe and grateful for the work of master craftsmen, Romanosky, Frye, Cleary, Mc Cray, Timpone, Ballestar, Minami, Hart.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Xmas

Post by Xmas »

I sat with Michael on Monday nite for 2 hours in a cold community hall in Mona Vale ... it had nothing to do with kneeboarding :?

It did give me a chance to mention this thread and talk about Water Slaughter. Did you know that both Tim Bonython and Guy Finlay (sp) are kneelos and were responsible for much (if not all) of the footage? I didn't - but I'm sure some of you are :D

And there is no doubt that kneeboarding can be genetic - both of Nov's sons Matt and Tom have been ripping lately - keep up the good work young fellas.

Big Nov still has it - he showed up at an SKC comp last month and proceeded to beat all comers with his 360 close out moves - still scoring big points form the judges after all these years 8)

True legend - and I so wish I had of kept the full page Peak wetsuit ad that I cut out of Tracks and stuck on my wall in 1982 or 83 - Nov in a green and gold steamer pulling into (what looked like) a big N Narra pit. Could have got Nov to sign it lol.
szrbloke

Post by szrbloke »

Met him at a barbie after the Xmas Classic in the 80s. Bought him a schooner of Tooheys New. The end.
all the best,

Scotty
weirdo

Post by weirdo »

1988 surfing for school sport at North Narrabeen. Was alternating then between standup and lid riding (drop knee mainly). Anyway Nov was out the alley there when we had sport was ripping it up, nice clean barrel riding.
But the thing that sticks in my mind is a wave he got took off...bottom turn..up..and barrel rolled the section..handled.. kept going and sprayed us groms with his cut back...

Got my first kneelo (single fin) not long after..