Peter Wilkenson & Michael Dee

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

poorboy0007
Local (More than 25 post)

Peter Wilkenson & Michael Dee

Post by poorboy0007 »

Not sure what happened to Peter Wilko (shaper for Trigger Brothers 70s & 80s) and kneelo god when I started. Will NEVER forget the way he used to pull in at peak rock at Sucicide (Pt Leo, Vic) deeper than was sane!

Heard he doesn't surf anymore??? How can someone that good and that committed not want that anymore??

Michael Dee is still shaping at Torquay (Vic) and his hand laid fins are pieces of art! Doesn't seem to be part of the online scene! His boards don't seem to be discussed in the forum???

His early 80s Turbo and XT Turbo fin boards should be in a design museum, they are that sweet!
Quick, lets paddle out before we come to our senses!!
Kev
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Kev »

my first board (in the early 80's) was a Strapper scooped deck with Turbo Fins
http://www.diyfactory.com/surf/Kev01.htm (bottom of the page)

yes it was very pretty and so to the Turbo Fins
I wish I had kept it and the remaining FIN
I lost one of the fins on a reef

I never met the maker of the fins but the board and fins did seem to be ahead of there time
jdc
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: Peter Wilkenson & Michael Dee

Post by jdc »

poorboy0007 wrote:
Michael Dee is still shaping at Torquay (Vic) and his hand laid fins are pieces of art! Doesn't seem to be part of the online scene! His boards don't seem to be discussed in the forum???

His early 80s Turbo and XT Turbo fin boards should be in a design museum, they are that sweet!

LIKE KEV THE FIRST NEW BOARD I EVER BOUGHT WAS A STRAPPER SCOOP DECK TURBO FINS (OPPS CAPS)

I still see quite a few michael d boards around here and in most cases they are square tail twins or tri set ups (rather than thruster)

Ive mentioned michael d a few times in that im surprised by his seemingly lack of kneeboarding ventures in favour of his flourishing buisness as a surf gear merchant and stand up shaper.

He still rips at winki, surfs the odd national or state titles and shapes kneelos but leaves the kneelo scene interms of development, at that. I run into his brother at a mates place from time to time and he waxs about their latest indo trips together. Steves a standup.

Last time i was in the strapper shop in torquay i noted the scoop deck hanging from the roof, a second hand kneelo on the rack outside and one new custom on the rack inside.

The 80's boards were surfed off the tail with flippers more or less being a flex tail addition (which makes me wonder about flipper issues and drag as an argument because these boards certainly were outa the box...fantastic at Bells)

The guys who surf strapper kneelos are generally good surfers but again most are in their middle age and been surfing for 20 to 30 years at least, so youd expect some form.

Hed be worth talking too if one was considering a custom and then compare notes with dp, hart et al.
i like surfing
barry

thanks

Post by barry »

Great topic fellas
I appreciate the history.
also Kev
sweet rundown on your boards mate
awesome webpage
poorboy0007

Post by poorboy0007 »

Allright...stay tuned!! When I work out how to post photos (Yeah, I will rad all the old posts, LOL), I will post some photos of my 1984 (I think?) Fluoro Pink and Green Strapper with XT Turbo fins. These ore the one with the straight edge bend and not the original turbos that bent around the full fin.

Tried to speak to Michael about a custom board but found it really hard to get onto him as the clothing business seems to take most of his time!!

Whereas, if you call or email Neil Luke or Bruce Hart you always seem to get a reply!

Also he had some interesting things to say about thruster setups siting the fact that kneelos dont push off the rear fin as a stand up does and that the twin fin make more sense (to him!).
jdc

Post by jdc »

poorboy0007 wrote:
Also he had some interesting things to say about thruster setups siting the fact that kneelos dont push off the rear fin as a stand up does and that the twin fin make more sense (to him!).
strapper surfers seem to lack the drive of other boards. The twin fin idea regarding no push does have merit but then the quad fin boards would be the progressive next step in terms of drive.

however Michael d's argument could be counted with the idea that there is "some" weight in the middle part of the board at the back and its enough to engage a middle fin, particulaly on pintails.

He's a good surfer so its a tough topic. Neil Luke. hart and DP shape a broad range of boards for a broad range of kneelos so these days one might suggest their ideas and feed back from surfers is a more complete overview.

I look at twins these days and always feel they seem a gear short.
i like surfing
poorboy0007

Post by poorboy0007 »

jdc, thanks for the good feedback. after the last week, I kinda agree with you.

I was away at Inverloch and took my old 80s Strapper for my boys to ride. I hopped on it at about 4 foot on the beach break and found a distinct lack of speed down the line compared to my current 'Freak'

The thruster argument of Michael's sound logical....until you look at the surfing of someone like Simon Farrer!!!!!! What no drive? LOL!