In Memory of David Schiller

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Doc Turbo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Doc Turbo »

I have been informed that David Schiller (American) kneeboarder has passed away during the last week. I am traveling right now abroad, and the news has reached me second hand by email.

David Schiller and Daniel Madre shared my house in Jakarta back in the mid-1980's and heavily involved in surfing and exploring Panaitan and the Mentawai Islands.

I will try to collect some pictures and stories... plenty of stories as David lived life to his fullest.

We will miss you David

______________________________ this is the message I received____________
Dave was buried yesterday at Makam Giri Tama, Kampung Kemang (near Bogor), Nusa Indah 005. See pictures attached.

He was laid to rest in a beautiful West Javanese garden in a ceremony that I think he would have appreciated. I think it was a credit to Lisa.

Despite the difficult circumstances Lisa took the time to talk to us and explain her take on what happened. Dave had apparently been battling alcoholism and had just returned (December) to Jakarta from 3 months rehab in the states. It seems he was keeping a low profile to avoid temptation. After a night out with Lisa , last Friday, he started feeling ill. Eventually, at Lisa’s request, he went to hospital later that night and died there. Apparently he died as a result of total organ failure due to alcoholic poisoning.

He was a brilliant thinker, fearless surfer and a larger than life character. Although we’ll miss him , I am sure his legendary behavior will be the topic of discussion for years to come. I was able to slip a short note into his grave, on some recently taken photos of nice Indo waves, bidding farewell from his friends. I signed it from the Jakarta boyz, which is how he sometimes referred to his circle of friends.

If there’s surf in heaven I’m sure he’ll find it.

Regards,
Dan

Post by Doc Turbo »

[albumimg]24380[/albumimg]
Dave on the far right down in Pelabuan Ratu with some of the boys

[albumimg]24381[/albumimg]
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by randiego »

Stephen, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. :(
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Scott

Post by Scott »

Sounds like quite a character. I wish I had known him and am sorry for his abrupt passing. We just never know when or how...
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

So sorry for the news Stephen. It must've been fun to hear about the waves he would find back when he was traveling/exploring and living with you.
Bruzer
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Bruzer »

I first met David at several WSA contests at County Line & elsewhere about 1973 or '74. He had a smooth carving fast style and loved to kneeboard w/ his friends. Then in 1987 or 1990 up paddles a smiling kneeboarder on a nicelooking fish at G-Land -- he recognized me but not vice versa as I don't wear prescription glasses in the water -- we enjoyed a fine arvo and then caught up on old times at Bobby's Camp, where he was staying for the night. He was excited about the great waves he was surfing [though he certainly did not let onto the Ments], enjoying geology, and had a joie d vivre that he'd left the California rat race and found a place where he could do interesting work and ride great waves w/ just a few friends.

My condolesnces to his family, friends and loved one. David, we all enjoyed riding waves w/ you.
Bill F

Post by Bill F »

That's a sad ending. I met Dave, in the mid eighties , when Toby brought him by my house one night on the way to the ranch. Those two in my house running around with a video camera of "who knows what, " laughing hysterically like juveniles!! He was a character for sure.. He was telling us of very perfect surf all around that region.Toby had just delivered his new board. It was the one that the Indies trader much later found in an old Search video.Can you imagine the surf Dave was getting back then?? ............RIP Dave.
Last edited by Bill F on Sun May 09, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

He sounds like a true kneeboarder / surf explorer and a classic personality. Would love to hear more stories about this adventurer...
"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman
shmackles

Dave Schiller old mate

Post by shmackles »

Hi Steve,

I was scanning some old photos of mine and came across a roll of photos from 1987. I thought of Dave and googled him because we lost touch and came across these shots. Me and a mate were travelling thru indo for a year in 87 and were lucky enough to meet up with dave and go on a trip through java in his 4x4. we had such a great time and scored great surf. we also spent christmas with him and had the best time ever up in jakarta.
although i haven't seen dave for so long it was sad to hear that he passed away, but glad that i was lucky enough to know him and what he stood for (a fucking awesome guy and explorer). he was quite a guy and had a few surf spot secrets and we had a few of our own too which made life interesting. he loved george greenough!
I have some photos of him if you would like me to email them to you.

Happy surfing from Oz,

Paul

[/img]
Doc Turbo

Re: Dave Schiller old mate

Post by Doc Turbo »

I would really enjoy to see photographs of Dave Schiller from the early 80s.

I think each of us have many stories about Dave

he lived life to its fullest and more.

I have to say that I didn't stay all that close to him in the later years.

Please drop me some photos to my email which is

S.JamesBooth@Gmail.com.

Also might want to take a look at my posting on David Wiley. the other David from Java who also recently passed away last 12 months

I have a tendency to believe that the filter of living in Indonesia did attract a lot of us with unique characters to say the least

whoever's the writer amongst us should document this.

shmackles wrote:Hi Steve,

I was scanning some old photos of mine and came across a roll of photos from 1987. I thought of Dave and googled him because we lost touch and came across these shots. Me and a mate were travelling thru indo for a year in 87 and were lucky enough to meet up with dave and go on a trip through java in his 4x4. we had such a great time and scored great surf. we also spent christmas with him and had the best time ever up in jakarta.
although i haven't seen dave for so long it was sad to hear that he passed away, but glad that i was lucky enough to know him and what he stood for (a fucking awesome guy and explorer). he was quite a guy and had a few surf spot secrets and we had a few of our own too which made life interesting. he loved george greenough!
I have some photos of him if you would like me to email them to you.

Happy surfing from Oz,

Paul

[/img]

Dave Schiller

Post by Bruzer »

This weekend I will look and hopefully should be able to find a b/w photo of Dave in a 1974 edition of Seabreeze, the "Voice of the Western Surfing Assn." The caption read something like "A Jammin' County Line Kneeboarder." The one afternoon in September 1987 at G-Land that Dave and I surfed together after not seeing each other for 10 to a dozen years was crankin'. And he was very excited by the opportunities to do geo consulting in Indo, which he made sure inevitably led to finding and riding great waves. Per chance was anyone else on this site along w/ Dave @ G-Land in 09/87? Also had some fun sesh's w/ Tim Pierce and Paul Wuslich in Bali on that trip.

Bruce
Bud

Post by Bud »

[albumimg]24749[/albumimg]
Dave's in there! 8)

I've got a few more really great shots and some video of Dave surf'n off Pagai Utara.
I was with him when we torched the Toby board as a surf sacrifice while anchored one night at Lance's Left.
In fact, it was my idea.
I have video of the whole event.
Due to some incriminating evidence :shock: contained there in, it's not for public consumption. :lol: