All Things Must Pass

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

RW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

All Things Must Pass

Post by RW »

Aloha all.

For almost 30 years the Ocean Beach Geriatric Surf Club has been entertaining the masses nationwide. For 19 of those years we put on the annual Surfer Bowl surfing contest on Super Bowl Weekend. But time takes it toll, and try as we might, we just couldn't do 20, and lose our youth forever. Sadly this era, ours, has come to an end with the passing of our Founder, motivational leader, mentor, and friend, "Unca Mikey" Berrill. On June 23 he left us for better surf elsewhere after a battle with a surfer's worst enemy, melanoma. He was diagnosed two and a half years ago, just a year after retiring to enjoy the good life. He was one of OB's greatest civic statesman, always with a kind word, and an eternal optimism that left one believing things will be better in a little while.

When KneeRiding was being dropped from all amateur surf contests, it was Mikey who gave us a ray of hope by including Kneeboarding in the Surfer Bowl. His response to the critics was "It's a surf contest, some of the best kneeboarders in the world are our local treasures, and they will be included." The rest is history. Remember that one year when it was huge and stormy, no one on the beach ready to go but us, so the Geriatrics bought all of us breakfast instead? Will there be a 20......who knows.....it was always Mikey's never say never attitude that wanted the Club to go for that one last positive wave....going out softly in style.

For those of you who had the opportunity to participate and feel the soul groove of our event towards the closing years, we, The Geriatrics, thank you for your participation and stoke for our efforts at keeping things simple. The Club, the antics, the Parades, the gigs for money, and the Surfer Bowl......all were a reflection of Mike and his philosophy on life. The rest of us were along for the ride. Laughing and learning under his gracious shadow.

One of OB's favorite Son's Mike Berrill...Peace and Love forever.

Thanks MR. Moderator for allowing my posting to this online community at large as Mikey did have an impact on KneeBoarding; as an inspirational catalyst for many towards their starting the KSUSA itself, and the successful hosting of it's annual US Titles.

Mahalo
8)
Bobby Welch
(retired)
shoulder huggin' chickens
RMcKnee
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by RMcKnee »

It's a surf contest, some of the best kneeboarders in the world are our local treasures, and they will be included.
Those are the words of a man who knew his surf history and probably recognised it as such even as it was being made. Very sorry to learn of this loss to the SD surfing community. Thoughts and prayers from the Goldie to Mike's family and friends. Thanks, Bobby for so taking the time to let us know in such gracious fashion.
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Very sad. My condolences to all friends and family.

The Surfer Bowl was a great great contest. The ONLY Kneeboard Contest in the years leading up to the KSUSA.

In addition to the local legends who dominated the contest for years, been some pretty noteable winners from outside the area... Jack Beresford, Jamie McHugh, Albert Munoz...

Hopefully it will happen again. No bigger rush that being in a heat with Jamie and RW and the three of us sitting on the Southside of the OB Pier shooting the pillings every wave. :shock: :lol:
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Thank you Bob for this post. So sorry to hear this news, but stoked to hear of Mike influence over the years in OB and in support of Surfer Bowl, and of course for kneeboarding. I regret having never met him during the years I surfed in the event. Yes!..I did (and do) feel the soul of the event and loved the simplicity of it. I also would love to see a 20th....maybe in Mike's honor even? Condolences and prayers for Mike's family and friends.
Jack Beresford

Post by Jack Beresford »

Condolences to Mike's family and friends. I didn't know him but the Surfer Bowl was always a real hoot! What better way to honor Mike's spirit than to get together at least one more time for some friendly competition? I'd be glad to help.

Jack
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

:(
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

My condolences :(
He has a beautiful calm face full of vitality.
You can see the spirit in his eyes.
mmanners
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Surfer Bowl "Long may it Wave

Post by mmanners »

My prayers and thoughts are with his family, and those who'll miss him most.

I surfed the event a twice, and it was good times. Met some genuine folks, who were supportive of kneeriders.

Thanks for the post Bob,

May he find the perfect wave, and forever enjoy the glide.
M2
Scott

Post by Scott »

Thanks, Bob. I never knew much about the Surfer Bowl event--just heard the name dropped every now and then. Great to learn about this individual and the commitment of all you to host such a wonderful event. I do hope the tradition can continue in some form...
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
randiego

Post by randiego »

Great post. RIP to Mike, condolences to his family and friends.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
RW

Irony

Post by RW »

This is the last email from Mikey to the Club this past March. It's eerie....as the wake is for both he....and the Club....yet fitting for his views on life itself and to all those who knew him. I thought it appropriate to include here for the simple message it contains.

From Unca Mikey; March 7, 2012:

"I didn't ask for this job...... I neither sought it nor feel particularly comfortable in doing it..... but, nonetheless...... the duty falls to me to inform you of...... the passing of the Ocean Beach Geriatric Surf Club.

The exact time of death is unknown but probably somewhere between Dec. 2009 and July 2011. The circumstances drew so little attention as to almost go unnoticed..... one day it was on it's A game, the next it didn't "show up". Lots of speculation as to the cause of death, but it don't much matter. It's dead.

Who could have done such as dastardly deed as this, you ask? My guess..... the same folks who made it what it was at it's best...... you and me. For years we were there, time and time again. Whatever the gig, we were on it. And we did it up right...... for a long time. But over the years time and circumstances changed..... added responsibilities, physical dislocations, declining health. You name it..... they all took their toll. Ain't nobody's fault. It just got old an' worn out. And one day it just died.

The only thing left to be done is to hold a fitting wake!!

It seems only appropriate to hold the event in Ocean Beach..... preferably with updated old videos, booze, music and dancing! The Gidget Wake Committee is planning a 2-day Reunion/Wake event, including a Friday happy hour and a Saturday grand finale. We also gots ta clear out da garage..... and decide where to donate any funds left over after the wake expenses.... and bail money?!

The action required from you, at this point in time, is to help select the dates. This means RSVP..... (for some of you this will be a new experience). We are looking at a weekend in either mid-July or mid-September. So please check your calendars NOW and reply as to which month works best for you...... and if you are truly interested in participating!!! Or not!!!!
Da Club was a good friend to all of us.... and to our community. It deserves a good sendoff."

Unca Mikey

I've posted this for all those who at one time or another were either entertained by us, or participated in one of our functions. His words of wisdom regarding the "Life and Death" of the OBG's should be considered by our small KneeBoarding community as words of caution: participation both makes, and the lack of thereof, breaks a good thing. We all should consider how we approach the life expectancy of this website and the organization behind it. It's our to build as it is ours to let it slip away into obscurity due to a myriad of external sources. If it happens, at least let it be not for lack of whole hearted participation.

A Celebration for Mike will be held Sat July 21, 10 AM in the grass just south of the Corvette Diner at Liberty Station. The Kanaka Outrigger Rowing Club will be hosting as he was a member. All are invited.

Hope to see some of you there.

Aloha,
Bobby
shoulder huggin' chickens