Terry Hendricks RIP

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

rodndtube
Local (More than 25 post)

Terry Hendricks RIP

Post by rodndtube »

Didn't see anything posted here but thought some of the group knew him from over the years. He posted on alt.surfing as sdbchguy but can't remember what handle he used on KSUSA. Terry is the guy who never gave a simple answer to any question he replied to. Great, humble guy.
KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

Had the pleasure of speaking to him at Swami's a couple of times, a warm receptive guy, not to mention a hydrodynamic genius. Offered to let me try that crazy hydrofoil bellyboard, I should have taken him up on it. RIP.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Post by cake »

Terry posted on this site as MTBarrels.
Mark Ramirez

RIP Terry

Post by Mark Ramirez »

So sorry to hear about this loss. I believe it was a couple of months ago, that I heard something that he was in the hospital! Hoping that he'll turn for the better. In '00 or '01 Terry had a super-raised Baja Beetle that he used to drive really fast offroading down in Baja on several surf trips. RIP.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Rod, thanks so much for this post. I met Terry when KSUSA was very young. He came to a couple of gatherings that were held. I remember him saying he would surf Swamies early in the AM and would be coming in as the "dawn patrol" was arriving. He was a stoked kneeboarder and fun to talk with. Sorry for this loss. I know his family and the Swamies crew will miss him heaps.
Akio Matsumoto

Post by Akio Matsumoto »

Brad & Rod Thanks For The Info, He Will Be Missed.Surfed With Him At Swamies Few times .I First Meet Terry At La Jolla Shores When John Brockway Introduce Me To Terry In Med 70s , He Was Head Of Its Time For Sure.RIP Terry,
Bob Gove

Terry Hendricks RIP

Post by Bob Gove »

Terry was one of the first people I met at Black's in the late 60's when I first started surfing there. He was always smiling in the lineup, and it never hurts to have someone nearby who carries a bang stick in case of sharks! He took me to the ranch once, launched his whaler from the pier at Gaviotas and surfed Rights and Lefts for hours with a minimal crowd. On the way back, we ran into George Greenough on the pier-he was launching his zodiac to go out to San Miguel island. His entire floorboard was a custom made gas tank! Terry will be missed by the surfing community-his knowledge and innovations spawned a number of changes in board design, and his stories were always entertaining. The following is an article that ran in a north county paper and was written by Chris Ahrens.

> I first became aware of Terry Hendrix after he was featured in Surfer Magazine for his radical surfboard design concepts.
>
> While my young mind was still unable to grasp the physics involved in Hendrix’s laws and theories, Hendrix, like his namesake, was living in an electronic world, while the rest of us were strumming dulcimers.
>
> He was a dedicated surfer, and a physics professor at Scripps, where he influ- enced other brilliant Ph.Ds like big-wave rider and Sealab pioneer, Dr. Ricky Grigg.
>
> But guys like Grigg and Hendrix lived in some mytho- logical word to me. That was until the early ‘90s when I ran into Terry at Swami’s.
>
> It was a few years prior to online surf reports and if you visited Encinitas Surfboards, you could find Terry’s surf pre- dictions for the week, posted on the shop’s front door.
>
> And, to this day, those were the most accurate pre- dictions I ever saw.
>
> They were so reliable in part, because Hendrix knew the ocean and surfed hours before most of us got out of bed, riding his kneeboard with a strobe light attached to a helmet so other surfers could see him coming.
>
> Hendrix was a knee- boarder whose inventive surf craft had to be seen to be believed.
>
> His surfing revolved around maneuverability and speed. A wry sense of humor was displayed through a homemade poster he had taped to his truck where a longboarder was featured along with the words, “Caution, this vehicle makes wide turns.”
>
> The earlier I arrived at Swami’s the better chance I had of seeing Terry.
>
> I loved talking with him, but must admit he quickly lost me when speaking about the science of surfboard design and hydrodynamics.
>
> I am glad I’m not the only one who found myself nod- ding in agreement long after I had ceased to understand his pearls of wisdom.
>
> A gentle, generous soul, I think he believed we were all as smart as he was. In my opin- ion, few came close. That never bothered Hendrix; he enjoyed us dumb surfers.
>
> Terry’s longtime and equally brilliant friend, Carl Ekstrom, has many wonderful stories about his lifelong buddy.
>
> While some of them concern surfing, others do not. One story that tells nearly all you need to know about this genius concerns a “Popular Mechanics” glider contest. The rules were simple: the glider able to stay in the air the longest wins first place. Since there was no specification on how large the glider needed to be, Hendrix simply rubbed two paper towels together, placed the lint on a slide mount, and sent the result in as his entry.
>
> By the rules, Hendrix should have won, since those paper fragments will stay in the air forever. That was the Terry I knew, always playing by the rules, while still forging his own path.
>
> I got up early enough one morning to hit Swami’s just as Terry was coming up the stairs (it was getting light and he was out of there).
>
> The board beneath Terry’s arm caught my eye. Instead of fins there were two foils that looked like spoilers that are placed on racecars attached to the bottom. He asked me if I wanted to try the board, and it looked so extra terrestrial that I declined, let- ting narrow-minded conven- tional wisdom keep me safely on my conventional surf- board.
>
> Anyone that surfed Swami’s for any time will miss Terry.
>
> He was a quiet legend who always had time to talk surf with anyone interested. He made our lives so much better.
>
> A paddle-out memorial will be held at Swami’s for Terry Hendrix June 29 at 10 a.m. All are invited.
>
> Only the most hardcore among us will have already memorialized their friend. Like everything Terry Hendrix was ever involved in, this will happen long before most people realize what’s up.
>
> Chris Ahrens is a surfer and author of four books on surfing. Email him at cahrens@coastnewsgroup.com.
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

Very very sad.

I didn't know Terry in real life, we shared a few emails for a while, he was kind enough to send me details/drawings/ photos explaining some of his designs.

Obviously a brilliant man and kind enough t o be willing to share his thoughts and innovations.

RIP
Doc Turbo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Hendriks

Post by Doc Turbo »

I think I remember surfing some at the LJ Shores with Terry in the late 70's?

He had a beautiful spoon, with knee well and flex tail.

We were amazed at the level of craftsmanship, and dedication he had.

Is that the same Terry?

Post by Headwax. »

a memorial video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33cKxbG ... 17BarHm6XA

something from Jeff Divine

https://www.facebook.com/jeff.divine.ph ... arget_id=0

some of Terry;s posts as MTB on swaylocks
KenM

Post by KenM »

Doc, that was most likely Terry, his spoons had a foam "island" with knee wells set within the all glass area.
Captain Kneemo fan club

Terry

Post by day »

Thanks Headwax for posting the link to Ms Ireland beautifully done memorial.

For those of you that had the pleasure of knowing Terry, you are most fortunate and I am sorry for your lost of such a free thinker and bold inventor. For those that shared his story and spirit, my deepest thanks and appreciation.
My we all try to live as fully and creatively as Terry did.
Mahalo and Aloha.
Doc Turbo

Post by Doc Turbo »

KenM wrote:Doc, that was most likely Terry, his spoons had a foam "island" with knee wells set within the all glass area.

Yes, thats an accurate description, so must have been Terry