The Passing of Man O' War

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Landlocked
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Landlocked »

So sorry Scott.

I'm glad that I met and surfed with Mark once in Florida.
One of those guys you just want to be around.
randiego
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by randiego »

Scott,

Jenny and I are very sorry to hear this. Our condolences to you and for your family's loss.

I knew MOW was your brother, but I'd never seen a pic of him. A handsome guy, with a lot of obvious dedication to life, and to his craft.

The kneelo world is a sadder place today. RIP.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
C J Gagner
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by C J Gagner »

Sorry for your loss, prayers for you and your family!
Though the course may change sometimes rivers always reach the sea!!!!
WillP

Post by WillP »

Scott,

I don't have words to describe how sad this makes me. I'm so sorry for your loss. I gave Mark a call a few months back just to say hello and catch up. We talked surfing, and life, and about how quickly life changes. He wished me luck with raising my three kids, then said God Bless and Good Bye. One of the most truly genuine people I've ever had the pleasure of speaking with. Although I never met him in person, I considered him a friend.

My prayers go out to you and your family. I have no doubt that he's up in heaven smiling down on you.
KneeBumps

Post by KneeBumps »

Scott,
My deepest condolences on your family's loss. I had the privilege to meet Mark once, in South Florida, and see his spoons. He connected immediately with my wife and I, partly through our Lutheran background. Although he was already ill, he was still drawing energy from his love of kneeboarding and all things spoon. I had hoped to get some water time with him and try his black spoon that trip, but the waves didn't cooperate. We communicated afterward through this forum, and I always found his his enthusiasm and warmth an inspiration. RIP.
Doug Luster
"All I want in this life of mine is some good clean fun
All I want in this life and time is some hit and run"
Lowell George
Peter Ware

Post by Peter Ware »

Scott I am deeply saddened by your loss of your loving brother. Now I know where you got the passion from kneeboarding from. I never meet Mark but had the pleasure of meeting you on my very first trip to California. Take care my friend and thank you for sharing the ocean with me. The memory of your brother will always be with you and the times you shared. To you and your family our thoughts are with you.

God Bless

Peter
Casey Patelski

Post by Casey Patelski »

Nice life tribute Scott. My prayers go out to you and yours. I hear its always offshore in heaven! Casey Patelski
COVE PADS,KneeloLab 6-0PoisonDart DeanCleary 3x Cncav Roundtail 5Fin, 6-0 PoisonDart Infinity 3x Cncav Pintail 3 Fin, Blast 5-9StubVector Swallow Quad, 5-9Vartanian Poison Dart 3x Cncav PinTail 3fin, 6-0Flashpoint DoubleBump Swallow & 5-10 WingPin 3fins.
WayneK

Post by WayneK »

Scott, heartfelt condolences to you and your family. I never met Mark, but always enjoyed reading his posts. His stoke for kneeboarding was apparent.
He will be missed. I am saddened for your loss.
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

Scott
I was bummed out to hear about your brothers death. Your tribute to him brought a tear to my eye, he was loved by you and it seems like a big influence in your life, what a great human your brother was! Im sure his positive approach to life will live on in everyone that crossed his path.
loved his poem too!
tom
yogisurf

Post by yogisurf »

My condolences, Scott, to you and your family. I enjoyed your touching, extremely well-written tribute.
/Yogi
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

I'm very sad to hear about MOW's passing. I always enjoyed feeling the vibe of his posts and his passion for spoons. He obviously was a marvelous human being. Hugs from Australia to his family and friends.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Scott, I wrote something very long and meaningful about your brother Mark then scrapped it. I can't find the words to express it adequately or to soothe such a great loss to all of us. Though I never met him, when I heard the news I lost it. So sad to see the Man of War lose his courageous battle with cancer.
The scripture would say of him as it did of other heroes of the faith mentioned in that chapter, "they were too good for this world"... Heb. 11:38a
day

Your brother

Post by day »

Aloha Scott. So sorry to hear that you lost your brother. Never had the pleasure to meet him so thank you very much for taking the time to share him with me, through your narrative. Sounds like he was a great family man, pastor, brother and just a fine human being.
Willy Kelly

Post by Willy Kelly »

Scott sorry for the loss of you brother
R I P Man O War

May Peace be with you
Scott

Post by Scott »

Thank you so much--each and every one of you--who took the time to read through that LONG tribute to Man O' War and to leave a touching note of sympathy, and/or of a memory of your own, and/or to support to me at this difficult time of the loss of my bother, Mark.

I am writing this still in Miami following yesterday's funeral service. I call it a "funeral" service because his body was right there in a casket in the front of the church the whole time, but it was an amazing celebration of his life. Faith Lutheran Church can hold about 350 people if extra chairs are set out and the balcony used for seating. But over 500 people showed up--it got pretty chaotic just before the start figuring out who got in and who was left out, until a live video feed was hastily set up into one of the adjoining classrooms so that many others could still see and hear. About a dozen of Mark's clergy buddies were there, too, all in full white robes--it was all very festive in the Lutheran tradition. The service was not for the faint of heart, going 2 1/2 hours strong, certainly the longest service of this type I've ever been witness to. Since Mark preached weekly to both a Spanish and English congregation, much of the introductory remarks and scripture readings for this service were given in both Spanish and English, which lengthened things out considerably. Mark loved great hymns, and we sang many of his favorites--every single stanza!

The main preacher had known Mark for many years and mapped out his life in great detail in the sermon. He even produced Mark's miniature wooden spoon kneeboard gifted him by Jon Manss (you can see it just behind my brother in the first pic of the second section in my tribute to him in this thread, while he sits in his home), held the board out so that all could see it, and then proceeded to explain the uniqueness of Mark's design of a "flexible spoon surfboard," and then then likened it's design to the similar flexibility of Mark's character and his ability to work with others. Ha! That's got to be the first time in the 2000-year history of the Christian faith that a pastor has undertaken to explain flex spoon hydrodynamics to a congregation!

I was also allowed to represent Mark's four siblings and address everyone (sometimes tearfully) with my own experiences of being his brother, his influence on me, and our firm hope to be united with him again in the Resurrection. But I also mentioned the special role he played in the lives of others beyond the walls of his church and school, and beyond Miami, including his relationships on KSUSA, and the warm support and touching tributes I have received from so many of you during his first (2010) bout with leukemia and upon his recent death, whether in posts, emails or personal phone calls. And that these came not just from the USA surfing community, but from other countries, too. So you all were a part of the service last night.

There were a lot expressions of emotion and tears, and of laughter and joy that evening. Unforgettable event for an unforgettable man...

Now I'm hanging with the family here until tomorrow. I even went surfing with two of the Mark's sons this afternoon in 2' Florida slop..er, I mean 2' Florida windswell. I rode one of Mark's old foam boards--actually a 6' monstrosity into which he carved 4" deep kneewells and attached a deep GG flex fin; it was the most uncomfortable beast to paddle ever with center between the two wells jamming right up into my chest! Should be called the Marquis de Sadeboard. But it was his go-to board when it was too small for his beloved spoon. Nevertheless, the three of us had a blast surfing together and all knowing how much Mark would be pleased that he was inflicting great physical discomfort on his kid brother one last time...

[fullalbumimg]33907[/fullalbumimg]
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!