In memory of Chris Andersen...

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Jafo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Jafo »

A brief obituary for Chris ran in today's San Diego Union-Tribune.

In it the family said, in lieu of flowers, to send a donation to The Surfrider Foundation. Dan's earlier post in this forum offered instructions for that, so check out Dan's message if you would like to send in a donation in Chris' memory.

We'll keep you posted if we hear anything else from Chris' family.

Jason
eqKneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by eqKneelo »

My Three Favorite Ando Quotes.

"I'm just living THE LIFE. Big Rock by day, Dominoes by night"
Huntington Beach, 1988

Ando's response to me after I said I wasn't surfing as much because of my class load at Berkeley. He couldn't have been happier getting shacked and delivering pizza.

"Just beat him... I'm gonna beat him and Jesus"

Oceanside, NSSA Nationals, 1990
After I got hassled by Christian kneelo Kirk Bausch in the semi's, I said I was gonna pound the guy if he got near me in the finals. Ando won the thing by boxing the guy out of the two best waves of the heat

"Does it get any better than this?"

Pleasure Point, 2003, 30 seconds before the our AAA final.
Ando, just so stoked on the whole event, and kneeboarding in general. Won the thing on a borrowed board

Hold our spots in The Lineup, Chris. We'll see you soon.
Ed[/b]
Jack Beresford

more of Chris

Post by Jack Beresford »

Funny thing about Chris was he always brought up the Padres and Chargers when we talked - he was a real San Diego guy. Here's some more from Chris...

Hey Jack,

I know Tahiti is coming up....Its killing me! Not all that unlike pre-calc...such a heavy semester, my final spanish and math classes! I was honestly congicating spanish with math in a dream I had last night....I have midterms in both this week...I will try to make the trip to Jalama, as for Tahiti...I have a friend thats been trying to talk me into maxing a credit card and then filing ch.13....probably not a good idea! Anyways, go pads!....a bit of a bad start with Nevin and Beck....but I hear they are going to bring back Goose and Bevakua to fill in...LOL. Check a few games for me at there new digs....I will surely be up at Pac Bell (SBC) for a couple padre games.

take care,
Chris
PS LN (comer)e = un dolor de cabeza!

If the Pads hang on this year and make the playoffs, Chris will be happy - and he'll be sitting in the front row!
Jack Beresford
Greg Little
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Greg Little »

Chris : You will be TRULY MISSED. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family. I wish I could make the Windansea gathering.
Greg....
Jafo

Post by Jafo »

That would be cool.

Padres in the infield,
Padres in the outfield,
An angel in the crowd.

FYI, whoever might be planning to come down Friday and participate in the paddle-out at Chris' service, please see me if possible a few minutes before the service starts at 11. Not a big deal, but it'll help make sure we're somewhat coordinated.
ivandill

Post by ivandill »

Last email from Chriss

Ola amigo,

believe it or not...
I have seen all these pictures of PR and I am not that jealousit has
been really good here in Monterey! I wish the water was as warm as it is there but...Dude, I swear, if the contest would have been one week later! I would have had you guys in perfect beachbreak...It's all good! Is this an average winter for you guys or is it typical? The surf is comparable to here and it is the Atlantic...Impressive.

Stoked you guys made it here...just wish I could have got you down to Moss Landing. The Landing has been relentless...I am hoping it will let up so my body can rest...

Take care Ivan and say hay to the boys,
VANCHEE
albert

Post by albert »

My story on Chris is that I met him in 1997 in the US Championships. At the time I was going for the spot on the US team and since I had no problems surfing against non kneeboarders in heats before, I thought it would be a breeze. To my surprise there were 11 kneeboarders in this event, including Jack, David Shinbara, Jason Foster, and of course Chris. I remember surfing a heat against him, thinking how much he would whoop my ass if he managed to get a couple of the better waves that were coming through. I remember watching him free surf, head high oceanside north jetty, and doing these gouges off the top with so much speed that it blew my mind. In our heat Chris broke a fin and ended up in something like 6th place.

After that I ran into him a few years later at Big Rock, it was small and crowded but we ended up talking for almost an hour. I remember him telling me about his new blast and how he was delaminating the deck on the spot where his left knee was placed.

I remember Chris as one of those guys you wish you never get in a heat, but cant resist having a chat with if you see him around. I offer my sincerest condolences to his family and everyone else affected by this loss.

Thanks
Albert

Chris Andersen

Post by Guest »

My deepest condolences to the Andersen family. Although I never knew him, sharing in this art makes me feel spiritually connected none- the- less. Rest in peace, brother.
DarcyM

Obituary

Post by DarcyM »

This is copied from the San Diego Union Tribune (online), and can be found at
http://www.legacy.com/signonsandiego/Le ... Id=2315293
if you wish to sign his guest book.

Christopher Gage Andersen

ANDERSEN, CHRISTOPHER GAGE February 14, 1970 to June 3, 2004 Chris was born in Torrance, California and spent most of his life in San Diego. He most recently resided in Monterey, California. Chris was a graduate of Bay Park Elementary, Pacific Beach Jr. High and Mission Bay High School. He also served three years in the US Army. Chris learned to surf up and down the beaches of San Diego and was most at home in the water. He recently was named Triple A Knee Boarding champion in Santa Cruz, California last fall. He was a loving father to his daughter Cassidy and stepson Brandon. Chris is also survived by his mother Jean Andersen, father Darrell Andersen, sister Terry Bingham and brothers Darryl and Jerry Andersen. Memorial Services are to be held June 11, 2004 at 11 a.m. Wind and Sea Beach, La Jolla, Calif. A gathering will follow at 1 p.m. at the Church of Christ, 470 L. St. Chula Vista, Calif. In lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate a contribution to The Surf Rider Foundation. Please sign the guest book at obituaries.uniontrib.com
Published in the San Diego Union-Tribune on 6/10/2004.

The online guestbook is available until July 10.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

I didn't know Chris either, but had read the posts and also feel the comraderie that site offers fellow lovers of our sport kneeboarding. Kneeboarding to all of us is special and no more so than the friendships we acquire doing what we love. Long, will live the memory of Chris to all that knew him and to those who had only heard of his ability in the ocean, and his goodwill as a man. I was shocked to hear of the loss of young man, but am proud to read these posts above about Chris's influences on our community. Thankyou Chris, and my thoughts are with your family and friends.

love from Australia

steen barnes
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
yogisurf

In memory of...

Post by yogisurf »

Hope he was surfing when he went.

God Bless you Ando, ride deep.

Post by Guest »

OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADM HUM- OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM -
OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM
OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM - OM MANI PADME HUM

Buddhist Sanskrit Prayer x 21

said to clear the path from here to there

Post by Guest »

I never meet Chris, however, I knew of him firstly through the Surfers Journal Article where there is a great photo of him going upside down and some cool quotes about passing the torch of knneboarding onto a younger generation.
When this site came on line it was with interest that I read Chris posts an those about him. It was obvious he was a much respected kneelo, waterman and person.
A couple of months ago there was a discussion about young kneelos in California. Jack Beresford put a link to Chris' webpage. I went there and saw a great photo of Chris; boy riding a kneelo and another of Chris putting up a Christmas tree with his family. Across the vast distance of the Pacific Ocean I could relate to Chris. He was a kneelo, about my age and had a young family, he seemed what we call here in Australia to be a good bloke someone I would have liked to know.
On behalf of the members of the Sydney Kneeboard Club I would like to pass on my sincerest condolances to Chris' family and friends. When I read of his passing I was shocked and I hadnt meet him so Icant even start to understand what his family and friends are feeling.
All I can hope for you all is that in time the sadness of his passing will be replaced by smiles of his memory.
David Kennedy. (President--Sydney Kneeboard Club- Sydney Australia.)
hart

tomorrow

Post by hart »

Everyone,

The photos of Chris on the home page have been awesome..sad there won't be anymore. Wish I had met him.

No man is an Island.

With respect from Australia,

hart.