In memory of Chris Andersen...

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Don
Admin

Post by Don »

The sudden loss of Chris Andersen is a terrible blow for his family, his friends, and the kneeboarding community.

In honor of Chris' memory, KSUSA is establishing this forum so that anyone who knew Chris can convey their thoughts or stories about him with this group and with his loved ones. We want this venue to become a lasting record of his time with us that brings some comfort to all who grieve his passing and will miss him.

So, out of respect for Chris and his family, please adhere to the spirit of this forum if you wish to post a message. Share the positive memories and anecdotes, rather than ponder the circumstances of his death, which no one but Chris was prepared for. Thank you.
scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

I am absolutly speachless
Chris was a true gentleman
I cant say I knew Cris well
I met him whilst in Santa Cruz at the US Titles last November
It was more than his talent as a surfer that made me notice
He seemed so full of life
All I can ask is WHY???

Solemly

Tony
Craig
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Craig »

I also met Chris last November in Santa Cruz. He was so Stoked And excited about being back on his KneeBoard and surfing well, it was contagious. I remember speaking to Chris before his last heat, he was really spent as most of us were, but with a few words of encourgement from his fellow Kneelos he went out and won it 8)
I'll be praying comfort and peace for your family Chris! Gods Speed Brother.

Sincerly
Craig
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Its amazing how this little web site has brought so many of us so close together in the past two years. The newness and vibrance of our KB world community makes this loss even more poignant.

I met Chris at our Santa Cruz contest and spent much time speaking with him. A great KBer but, more importantly, a great person.

Has there been anything set up where one may make a contribution in his memory? I suggest the Surfrider Foundation; they are set up for this sort of memorial donation. Has his family indicated what they would like to do?

https://ssl-020.vianetworks.net/beachin ... ership.asp
click on top right corner 'Surfrider Donations'.

All the best,
Dan
kbing since plywood days
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

Has there been anything set up where one may make a contribution in his memory? I suggest the Surfrider Foundation; they are set up for this sort of memorial donation. Has his family indicated what they would like to do?
Jason Foster is in contact with Chris' family and will post shortly on how to contribute in Chris' memory...

Don
kneemor

My condolences

Post by kneemor »

I never met Chris but its always sad when a person is taken before their time. My condolences and prayers go out to Chris' family and friends.

What happened? Did he have a terminal illness or was it surf related?
DarcyM

In memory of Chris

Post by DarcyM »

We were all standing around the top of the bluffs at Pleasure Point in Santa Cruz, wet and shivvering, sometimes taking shelter from the sporadic rain under the tents. I was taking pictures of the kneeriders in their heats inbetween chatting with folks and laughing (and rolling my eyes) at Kenny's stories. Chris was in and out of the water, smiling and talking with friends new and old. At first he was just one of the crew, there were so many to meet and talk to and see again or for the first time. As the heats rolled on and he kept advancing, I came to realize that he was one to watch out in the water, and I shot a couple of frames of him doing his thing out in the water.

We chatted for a little bit in between heats, I can't remember what we talked about, probably nothing important. He told me about being from San Diego, asked where I surfed. He told me about going to school, and how he loved the north coast and the breaks he liked to surf like Moss Landing and Steamer's. He seemed to be to be a real down to earth guy, connected, with solid values about what was real and important like his kids and family. He seemed at peace with the world.

I was cold, I don't like standing around in a wetsuit, it makes me feel even colder, but it was too much trouble to change between heats so I bundled up the best I could. The sun was playing hide n seek with the clouds, but at least the wind was holding off. Chris was wearing this tan, Volcom knit cap with a little brim on it, very cute. Before he went out for his next heat, he plopped it on my head. I think he said keep this warm for me. I snuggled down into the cap and watched his heat, wondering if he would advance but then saw that despite the small waves he was killing it. The positive vibe was so cool, everyone seemed happy to see the kneeboarders who were doing well. Cheers on the bluffs were heard for every big hit, every smooth re-entry. I wished I had a longer lens for my camera, or that there was more sun, or the waves were bigger, but being there was worth every moment. I was a little warmer in the cap, and warmed inside by the new friendships we were all making. There was a rainbow shining out over the bay. I thought to myself that where the rainbow ended was probably at Moss Landing, and I thought about what Chris had said about the surf probably being good there today. I took a picture, hoping it would come out ok.

When Chris got out of the water, he was surrounded for awhile. I heard him raving about the Blast board that Jason let him use. I heard him say how he was really stoked about kneeboarding again. Finally I asked him if he wanted his hat back.

He smiled at me, and said, "You keep it. It looks good on you."

dm
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Jack Beresford

chris

Post by Jack Beresford »

Chris' family has asked that this forum focus on the positive aspects of his life instead of the circumstances of his death. Suffice to say that Chris lost a battle with some inner demons that no one else really saw coming. In April he sent me the following PM:

"I would just like to thank you guys for all that you have done for me...If you ever want to talk please do because I would. I think I know all of you a little better and that is one great positive to come out of the (Surfers) Journal thing. Good luck in the Worlds...I am thinking Jalama may be a real soul thing right now so I will try to make it." - Chris

Reading this really brings home how important it is to spend time with your friends and family and really enjoy each day. Chris never made it to the Jalama Gathering but I'd like to think he's in a better place now charging deep barrels with everything he's got.
ivandill
Local (More than 25 post)

te recordaremos

Post by ivandill »

For the really short time that i knew Chriss i had to said that he was my friend.For three days we shared a masive stoke for our sport, that got to consider him a real brother.I remenber him telling me , how stoked he was for being riding kneeboard again with that many kneelos together,i think he told it to me like four times.Hey Chris , we never never got to surf Moss Landing together, i wanted to take on your invitation this year , went i will go to cali. I guess that we will meet again and surf in the expansiveness of the universe.

SURF IN PEACE AMIGO

IVAN
VANCHEE
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

I can't say I knew him. Wish I could. My brief experiences with Chris keep pointing to one word: solid.

Reflecting back on some memories, I did a quick search of some particulars from this website:

Ed Quinn, quoting the most radical move in a competition:
"In the 1988(???) NSSA, WSA, or USSF finals at Oceanside, Chris Anderson did the most ridiculous roundhouse EVER! He was going right on a solid overhead double up that was about to closeout. He laid into this sick full rail cutback, projected off the bottom into a figure 8, and then instead of hitting the foamball, went all the way around and then straight up into the lip. He was going so fast and the lip was so thick that he was actually upsidedown. He then projected out 4 feet into the flats, corkscrewing upright, and nailed it. The rest of us in the heat looked like this and realized we were all fighting for 2nd.
Sprocky saw it from the beach and still talks about it"

The last time I saw Chris:
"BTW, some bloke came up and asked to see my board. He was a stand-up. He looked darn familiar. After a bit, I realized it was Mr. Ando, burning some steam from his schoolwork. One bit of conversation was it's very doubtful that either of us will be able to make the Jalama gathering. However, be warned. He'll be planting 'fin-extractor' kelp for your next Pleasure Point visit! Don't even ask what he's doing to Moss... I'll be adding sand (& miscellaneous objects) to the Ocean Beach sandbars to add some more panache for your paddle-out. El...Kabong!!! "

It was a typically nice day at Pleasure Point. We were floating off our boards and enjoying the chit-chat. I asked him to look me up for job prospects when he was ready. I am saddened that won't happen. I am saddened there isn't the opportunity to know him better. My deepest sympathies go out to his family. May you find peace and waves, Chris.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I had the opportunity to know Chris from back when he was one of the most committed chargers at Big Rock in La Jolla. He would go on waves that I would not even consider. Chris flat out ripped. He brought that go for it attitude to every thing he did in life.
I was fortunate enough to live in the Montery area during the time Chris was stationed at Fort Ord. When it got big and scarey he was the one guy that I knew I could count on as a surf partner. He was not only willing to come along, he was often leading the charge. One of my fondest memories of him was his take on how half eaten sea lions on the beach were a sign of good luck. He surmised that if the sharks were still hungry they would have eaten the whole thing, therefore it was safe to go out.
There many classic stories to be told, but now is not the time.
RIP Ando you were an inspriation to all who were fortunate enough to meet you in your much too short life.
Dave.
Jafo

Post by Jafo »

"We need to pick up on the vibe surfing is on right now. That is, just go for anything! Besides, that's where the fun is -- uncharted waters."

"Surfing a wave in any form is a series of reactions as the (wave) face changes. We are lower, so we do get a better read on the wave because of our perspective. (I know this, because I'm also an avid surfer and bodyboarder.) This, combined with a lower center of gravity...Man, the options are endless. Our sport goes all the way off!"

These quotes were taken from a letter about kneeboarding Chris wrote to me on Dec. 18, 1996. They convey the enthusiasm, intensity and stoke that Chris radiated in abundance, especially when he was pursuing or talking about the sport he loved so much.

I first got to know Chris in the mid-1990s. He returned from Central California to San Diego right around the time I moved there, too. He was a good friend who introduced me to new breaks, new wave-riding concepts and was always eager to share his perspectives on what made kneeboarding so great, and what could make things even better.

Chris and I drifted out of contact a few years later after he migrated north again, but I was stoked beyond belief when he strode into Tony and Alba's Pizza on the first night of the Santa Cruz Kneeboard Festival last November. I will be forever thankful for what transpired over the next couple of days. We spent a lot of time catching up, I got to hear him talk about his kids and how much fun he was having being back in school. I watched him just tear it up in the water on a board he borrowed from me (Chris had a habit of borrowing my boards from time to time and riding them more radically then I ever could -- even on his first wave.) I had never seen Chris win a contest, despite his prodigous talent for generating speed and huge moves -- he always seemed snakebit. But that weekend everything just came together for him. His stepson Brandon and I watched him go though some of his heats. Brandon was so excited to see Chris do so well, I remember hoping at one point I would have as good a relationship with my own son when he reached Brandon's age (which was 10 or 11 last fall, if I remember right).

It was a heartfelt thrill to sit at Chris' table with Brandon at the awards ceremony, when Chris was announced as the winner of the AAA contest. Brandon and I exchanged huge smiles and cheers as Chris took the stage. And Chris, most appropriately, gave heartfelt thanks to all those who worked so hard to make that weekend such a great experience for all kneeboarders. He was truly, truly grateful.

Aloha, Chris. I'll miss you.
Sprocky

Post by Sprocky »

I didn't really know Chris, but I knew of him, as one would know of Curren or Slater. He was one of the best kneeriders I've ever seen. When I finally had the opportunity to speak with him at the Santa Cruz contest I found him to be one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

For a video clip of Chris, courtesy of Bob Welch, visit
http://www.sprocklander.com
frencho

In memory of Chris Andersen

Post by frencho »

I just received the sad news of Chris passing. I had the opportunity of meeting Chris last November during the Santa Cruz Kneeboard Festival. From what I saw he was the kind of guy that loved to share a laugh. He was full of positive energy and love for our sport. The kneeboard community lost one of its best ambassadors. I send my most sincere condolences on behave of the Puerto Rico crew and myself. Now he most be enjoying the best waves of his life. Hey Chris, I'll take you on that invitation to Moss Landing the next time I go back to California.

Hasta luego Amigo!!!

Frencho
CAMELLO PUERTO RICO

Post by CAMELLO PUERTO RICO »

Anderson family and friends me one to the sadnesses of all since he was a very good person with me in Cali and my companions. Moan this lost but I commit myself to compete hard in the world-wide ones of TAHITI but in honor to you CHRIS. You are ALREADY part of my goals in TAHITI. I hope that surfing next to GOD. It was an honor to compete against you and your near friends but. PUERTO RICO TEAM

CAMELLO PR TEAM