In memory of Chris Andersen...

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

Post by Guest »

Bruce
He could have been a world champ on one of your boards.........
I dont have to say any more

Tony

Post by Guest »

I didn't know Chris. I talked with him a little last year in Santa Cruz. I remember thinking I'd seen him somewhere before. I'm pretty sure I saw Chris years earlier in he late 80's out at Salt Creek. I remember seeing another kneerider out that day just tearing it up, fearlessly pulling into everything and doing big re-entries on really steep sections. The thing that really blew me away was on one wave he jumped to his feet and ripped it standing up! Now knowing that Chris was also an accomplished stand-up surfer, I'm even more convinced that was Chris. At the Santa Cruz Contest, like the rest of us, I was impressed with what Chris had pulled off-hadn't been kneeriding much, borrows a board, gets 1st place. Without knowing Chris, I could tell he was a straight forward no B.S. type of guy. After the awards ceremony I felt compelled to go up and congratulate him. I told him, "I hope you keep kneeriding now that you're back into it 'cause you flat out rip!". I'm sure that's what he's doing now at a spot just like perfect Moss.

Ed Dimick

Chris Andersen

Post by Guest »

I am so glad to see the wonderful response of so many people who loved my nephew, Chris. Thank you all. Your website has given me a chance to reflect on his passion of kneeboarding, and the great friends that surrounded him. Thank you for sharing with us. It has meant a great deal to me.

Chris- Celeste and I will talk about you and always remember you, and we will tell her children about you and show them pictures. You will never be forgotten.

Love, Aunt Sandi
Rita Pescatore

Chris Andersen

Post by Rita Pescatore »

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the tremendous outpouring of sympathy for the loss of my former Son-in-law, Chris. You have given me and my Daughter Rachel ; Granddaughter Cassiday and Grandson Brandon the support they need at this time of great loss so early in their lives. They will continue to need your love and support.

Thank you for attending the memorial service at "Big Rock" in La Jolla on Saturday. It was overwhelming to me to see the numbers of friends, family, and fellow surfers in attendance. It means so very much to Rachel, Cassidy and Brandon to see so many familiar faces and to receive all the hugs. The tears will continue to flow, but their hearts will be filled with the good memories that you all shared. The words spoken about Chris were so perfect. He was a loving Father,friend and Son-in-law. I will always remember this day and hope and pray that you all stay in close touch with my daughter and her family. I know that Brandon wants to continue on with his kneeboarding.

Personally, I have learned more about Chris in this last week than I could have ever imagined. We used to talk briefly at family gatherings at birthdays,Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter or when he would pick up the kids at my house. But it was usually about the kids or his classes in school. He was so proud when he got an "A" in his Business Law class. And I told him how proud I was of him as a Dad and as a very intelligent man. He was so loving and sweet and " gentle". He was such a good discplinarian for both children. But most of all I will be eternally greatful for how he loved my Grandson Brandon unconditionally as his own son. He wanted to adopt him, but Brandon's natural father would not allow it. I know Chris is watching over them from Heaven.

This young family will need your support and prayers for many years to come. Thankyou for sharing the huge legacy of their Father with them and also with me. They have a big empty hole in their hearts for Chris that only friends and family can fill.

God bless you and be safe out there in the big blue sea.

Grandma Rita
scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by scoop »

Grandma Rita

I hope "WE" as a group maybe can organise a memorial trophy for say the "AAA" contenders in future US Titles...in Chris's memory
I dont hold power here or in the US but I would only be honoured to contribute to a "perpetual"trophy in Chris's name
What do you think Don ,Ed ,Jack ,Darcy etc
It could be called "The (AAA) Chris Anderson Memorial Trophy" for instance
This is a suggestion only
I would only be too happy for others to leave other options

cheers

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
willli
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by willli »

Out of the darkness
Into the light
The surfer exits
The barrel of life
Out on the shoulder
Turning hard
God smiles
His wave bends
Round the Point
Thru the Gate
Chris is cutting back
Into Heaven
Don
Admin

Post by Don »

scoop wrote:Grandma Rita

I hope "WE" as a group maybe can organise a memorial trophy for say the "AAA" contenders in future US Titles...in Chris's memory
I dont hold power here or in the US but I would only be honoured to contribute to a "perpetual"trophy in Chris's name
What do you think Don ,Ed ,Jack ,Darcy etc
It could be called "The (AAA) Chris Anderson Memorial Trophy" for instance
This is a suggestion only
I would only be too happy for others to leave other options

cheers

Tony
Tony,

We have in fact discussed this very issue... not sure what the final memorial division / trophy will be yet but this is clearly in line with our thoughts and intentions!

Thanks for the input.... Are you coming over this year????

D
Don Harris
HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT

god bless you all !

Post by HALFMANRIPS/MIKE GARRETT »

:cry:

we are truly one big family !
not really knowing chris other than santa cruz i feel like i lost a brother.

god bless all of the family and friends !!!

:D HEY CHRIS "" I'LL BE HOPPING IN ON YA ! ONE DAY :D
Ler

Chris

Post by Ler »

I meet Chris in the 80's at a contest. Chris was the most intense competitor ever. We went toe to toe from San Diego to Santa Cruz. I was stoked to see Chris again at Santa Cruz. He was so at peace with himself and the contest. He gave me some good advise about the surf contest and more importantly life, for the the first time I was stoke to have a heat with him. He gave everything he had into kneeboarding. You never know what would happen, anything from big air to the best tube of the day. My prayers are with his family and friends. Though I'm very sad, I can easily smile thinking of Chris. R.I.P. my friend. Watch over us all.

Mike Butler
Sister Terry

The passing of my brother, Chris

Post by Sister Terry »

I too want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love, prayers and kind words in regards to my brother Chris Andersen. Words cannot express how much it comforts me and my family to know that Chris was loved by so many. We have always adored him, but how could you not? He was always so gentle and kind. His bear hugs could melt your heart.
My husband Chris and I mourn his loss every day. But we cherish that we had the opportunity to get to know him even better when he lived with us from 2001/2002. My son Ryan proudly wears his uncles' dog tags from his time in the army like a badge of honor. Chris'a AAA championship trophy is displayed proudly on his headboard. My daughter Caitlyn put her feelings about her uncle into these beautiful words.
"Uncle Chris was more than an uncle, he was my friend. Whenever I would need help, it would always be him that would be there to answer my question. We loved to play with each other and hang out with each other. When ever I was sad, he was the one to comfort me. Knowing now that when I talk to him I will not hear his voice but know he is answering in my heart. Makes me think about the last time I did hear his voice. I will always remember him, not by the pictures but the memories that he left behind in my heart. I hope all of you will remember him and think of him when you pray or when you hear of the best surfer in the world, my uncle Chris. I love him so much and will always sing happy birthday on his birthday or say Merry Christmas on Christmas. And, keep telling him I love him. I think that if you follow me in what I do, he would be proud. Thank You." This coming from a 10-year old.
We will never be able to watch "Shrek" with my 3 1/2 year old without thinking of him. "You're going the right way for a smacked bottom" was one of his favorite quotes from the movie. Unfortunately, our baby Kyleigh who shares her uncles' Valentines day birthday, never had the pleasure of meeting him in person. I know that they would have adored each other. Chris had a special connection with my children that I will remember and cherish for the rest of my life.

If he didn't know before, he knows now. How much we truly love him.
I will love you forever little brother.

Ter-Bear
mutiny

Post by mutiny »

I only met chris during a few of our heats at the Santa Cruz contest, I knew of his reputation as a excellent kneerider and found out first hand what a talented competitor and surfer he was, he had an innate sense for picking the best waves of the heat and always being in the position to get the wave. every time I would turn around to catch a wave chris would be there in position out witting me everytime! I was very saddend to hear of his death. My condolences to his family and friends.
tom backer
Chris,s Dad

Memorial to CHRIS

Post by Chris,s Dad »

Thanks to everyone for the kind words about Chris,he was a fine son and I was proud of him.We had a memorial service on Friday down at Big Rock and some of his surf buddies did a paddle out.They took out one empty board with a wearth on it, very nice.Thanks to everyone that was involved.I love you Chris and I will miss you. Dad
honu

Post by honu »

I would like to thank all of you with the KSUSA for embracing Chris during these past 8 months. The recogognition this organization gave him was the most rewarding thing that ever happened to him during his brief time with us. Chris was visionary. Hands on and very direct in all he undertook. The long overdue recognition you, his peers gave him in November, meant more to him than you will ever know. Chris had finally arrived, and you guys were there to carry him forward. The few of us who have shared his dreams can find some solace knowing that he, at long last, had basked in the warmth of his fifteen minutes.

I am deeply gratefull the Andersen family allowed our legendary surfing community the honor to give Chris the recognition he had earned. I sincerly thank the Huffman brother's; Rex and Eric, Tom Davidge representing the WindanSea Surf Club, Rich Pavel and the Big Rock crew, Eric Schoelkopf and his wife, the KSUSA reps; Darcy, Ed, Mark, Eric, and Jack, and all those others who's lives Chris had touched and I could not speak with. Lastly my dear my wife who has weathered our loss far better than I for her strength during this emotional time. Forgive me for not remembering everyone, I'm not myself.

Thank you Terry, Darryl and Jerry for the privalge to see my friend and brother off. Chris had the best in all three of you through the years. He will be remembered by many and he will be missed by even more. All things must pass, and this brief moment will give way to bigger and brighter days. That was Chris's philosophy. He looked for the good in everything and everyone. He sacrificed soo much of himself such that others would have a better opportunity at life. We should all learn from him....as I have.

Chris Andersen RIP

In honor of Chris, the Surfer Bowl event organizers have overwhelmingly decided that our participation in their annual event will be known as "The Ando", with a perpetual trophy. He was about building bridges, of possibilities, of understanding. Chris cast a long shadow.

Bob Welch
Jerry A.

Chris Andersen

Post by Jerry A. »

I would like to take a moment to share a memory of my little brother Chris. I remember a morning at Dog Beach in the winter of 1982. Chris, Darryl and I were freezing our butts off trying to start a fire in a fire ring to stay warm. We were taking a break from surfing the Jette. The surf was good that day, but the marine layer would not burn off. Chris looked at Darryl and I and said " I can freeze my butt off out there," and off he went out into the surf. We agreed and followed...

Again Chris is leading the way and we will again follow one day.

To everyone who has shared their memories and heart felt condolences with my family, I thank you. Chris was a great Bother, Father, Son and Friend to many people. His legacy will live on in all of us. We love you Chris.

Godspeed Little Brother,
Jerry, Jo Anne, Elisa and Jake
Aunt Gail,the cool one

Chris Andersen

Post by Aunt Gail,the cool one »

I would like to thank all of you for the wonderful things you said about my nephew Chris. He was a most kind and gentle soul with the best smile in the world. Reading of his impact on so many people outside our family has warmed my heart and made me even sadder that I won't see him for awhile. But I know that he's in heaven and he's caught the perfect wave and is waiting for all of us to join him and watching over us all. Thanks again. Aloha, sweetie, you are most special to a lot of us.

Aunt Gail, the cool one