In memory of Chris Andersen...

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

DavidS
Local (More than 25 post)

Every Knee Shall Bow

Post by DavidS »

My thoughts and prayers goes out to Ohana of Chris....

When thinking about Chris, I dug out some old contest flyers and pictures and flashed back to the days when I met him and the other guys of the past..

My first time seeing kneelos outside of Hawaii came in 1988 when a bunch of Cali boys (Beresford Brothers, Dengis, etc) came to surf the US Champs at Sandy Beach (I'm not sure if Chris made that trip).

The following year I made my first visit to Cal for the US Champs.. Among the heavy hitters to watch out for was a guy Chris Andersen. Though competition was fierce (guys were saying the Cal guys wanted to keep the trophy home at all cost), on shore the Hawaii and Cal guys had a great time. Culminating the event was a cook out at Tom Linn's house.

The last time I saw Chris was the '97 US Champ, as Albert mentioned. Chris was ripping and would have done better if he didn't milk the wave to shore and break his skeg.

Through this site it was great seeing him still competing and having the stoke for the sport.

I'm sure he will be deeply missed in the lineup....
To my Brother - Aloha A Hui Hou,
David Shinbara
RachelAndersen

Post by RachelAndersen »

Brandon, Cassidy and I want to thank everyone for their kind words, memories, thoughts and prayers.

Chris sopke so highly of everyone in the kneeboarding and surfing communities and thought of each and everyone of you that he knew as his family. He was most at home in the water and when doing anything related to surfing.

Most recently he had more fun surfing and kneeboarding with Brandon. Brandon was his biggest fan. His first words when he heard his dad passed were "Who am I going to surf with?" Who is he going to surf with? Brandon takes comfort in knowing that you all will remember his dad in the same way he remembers him. There are a few of you who know the special relationship that he and Brandon shared and Chris would be so pleased to know that not only will he be rememberd for his talent in the water but also for his love for his children.

Cassidy is a "Daddy's girl". She and Chris shared so many special jokes and experiences. He was the one who bought her a hamster this year for her birthday and it was a pet they shared together. They were a team. Most of their time together was spent at the beach. They would collect jade and sanddollars together. Since she is only 9 years old she doesn't quite yet understand the loss but what she does know is that she has many very special memories and she is happy that everyone is remembering and sharing all the good and funny memories they have of her dad.

It helps me to know that Chris is in a place where he is with us everyday. He is smiling and laughing and remembering along with us. I know I will always remember his smile and his laugh and the way he called me "kid".

Chris, I love you and will always love you.

Rach
DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Chris' son Brandon always welcome

Post by DarcyM »

Hi Rachel -

Keep in touch with this group, there are lots of surfers who would be happy to take Brandon surfing with us. We also have gatherings periodically up and down the coast which are a excuse to surf with friends new and old and share good times together. You, Brandon, and Cassidy will be welcome at any of our gatherings, and we will be proud to go surfing with with the kids, even teach them a little kneeboarding or let them borrow a board.

We are family, and we will weather this storm with good memories of Chris and the support of each other's arms.

all the best -

Darcy
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I second Darcy's last post. You and your family are very much welcome at all our gatherings and to surf with us anytime! We, truly, have become one big family.

Peace and love,
Dan Young
"Surfhorn"
kbing since plywood days
Jafo

Post by Jafo »

Rachel,

Just to build upon Dan and Darcy's comments, the Santa Cruz Kneeboard Festival will take place Nov. 18-20 this year. One element that will be added this year is a "juniors" division to encourage kids and teens to try kneeboarding. It's setup is not too specific yet, but we hope to have prizes and cool things for all who participate in the juniors division. It will be primarily intended for fun. I hope Brandon, if he wants, will participate, or at least come check it out. He would have many supporters on the cliff. And, if he's looking for someone to surf with in San Diego, let me know.

Jason
ALYNN ANDERSEN

I WILL MISS HIM!!!

Post by ALYNN ANDERSEN »

I ALWAYS REMEMBER HIM!IM HES NEICE AND HE LIVED WITH ME,I REMEMBER WANTING TO SURF WITH HIM BUT I COULDNT SURF AND THATS WHY AND PLUSE I WAS SCARD ALSO BUT I WANTED TO SOOO BADLY!!I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHEN WE DID STUFF TOGETHER.I WILL ALWAYS HAVE HIM IN MY HEART!!!!!MY DAD IS HIS BROTHER (DARRYL ANDERSEN).THE SECOND OLDEST.MY WAS REALLY CLOSE TO HIM SO WAS MY UNCLE AND AUNT!!!!I WISH I COULD TURN BACK TIME AND STOP HIM!!PLEASE KEEP HIM HAPPY GOD!!!!R.I.P UNCLE CHRIS!!!
ALYNN ANDERSEN

I WILL MISS HIM!!!

Post by ALYNN ANDERSEN »

I ALWAYS REMEMBER HIM!IM HES NEICE AND HE LIVED WITH ME,I REMEMBER WANTING TO SURF WITH HIM BUT I COULDNT SURF AND THATS WHY AND PLUSE I WAS SCARD ALSO BUT I WANTED TO SOOO BADLY!!I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER WHEN WE DID STUFF TOGETHER.I WILL ALWAYS HAVE HIM IN MY HEART!!!!!MY DAD IS HIS BROTHER (DARRYL ANDERSEN).THE SECOND OLDEST.MY WAS REALLY CLOSE TO HIM SO WAS MY UNCLE AND AUNT!!!!I WISH I COULD TURN BACK TIME AND STOP HIM!!PLEASE KEEP HIM HAPPY GOD!!!!R.I.P UNCLE CHRIS!!!
Lexie Bingham

we feel the pain

Post by Lexie Bingham »

Although I didn't know Chris that well, I knew him long enough to feel pain for his tragic death. My best friend is his neice and she always tells me how cool of a guy he was and how he was supposed to take her surfing this summer. When i think of how much he is missed by family and friends I wish there was something I could do to bring him back......but there isn't. All theres left is pictures and memories.Everyone loves Chris so much and theres not anough words to explain their pain.
Chris, you're with us in our heart and our souls and you will always be that angel that got sent to the heavens above. Someday, all of us will reunite at Heaven's pearly white gates and be together again. We Love You Chris Andersen.
Sincerely,
Lexie Bingham
Lexie Bingham

One last thing

Post by Lexie Bingham »

hey it's me again. I wanted to post a poem I made up because I felt that it meant a lot to the people who feel the same way.
"So when we go to heaven
May we reunite
Like one big family
Together again."
I may only be 11 years old but when things like this happen I have to be able to express how I feel. That poem is how I feel and how I will always feel.
we love you chris
from me again,
Lexie Bingham
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

awesome
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Lexie - Wonderful words. I think we all feel that way.

Its great that you express yourself in this way. Letting your feelings out will servve you well during your life.

All our love to you and your family.
kbing since plywood days
Lexie Bingham

Thank You

Post by Lexie Bingham »

Thank you
Lexie

how i feel

Post by Lexie »

send a rope upto heaven
make him climb down
remember this true moment
with one of god's angels
Lexie

one last memory

Post by Lexie »

Chris worked for my dad for a couple days some years ago. Everyday my friends and I would spray him with the hose and he would laugh and laugh. He would come in to drop off tools and he would be covered in grass and dirt from working. That was my one and only memory. Those days were the only days i knew him but I wish I knew him better.
Lexie
Ler

Missing Chris

Post by Ler »

To: Ler
Posted: 02 Apr 2004 03:05 pm
Subject: Re: hello
Ler wrote:
Just a qiuck Hello. Hows the family? Everything fine on my side of the stick. Take care!!

We are doing fine.. . Its good to hear from you. It was a pretty good winter here....b+ by diego standards. How are you guys doing?
Mike I am glad you mailed me. Ya know, back in the day when we were all competing...I was a bit of an ass. I thought kneeriding began and ended with me. Well it doesn't and never did. It was insecurity really. By doing this I distanced myself from some really cool people...

this is just where I am at right now...hope you can understand where I am coming from.

Chris

This was a P.M. from Chris to me. Sometimes we weren't always stoked to see each other. We made peace in Santa Cruz last year, I'm really glad about that. I wouldn't of had that without this website. THANKS.

Ler