In memory of Chris Andersen...

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

d.a.

Post by d.a. »

Went to the ROCK fri. evening with sis and our kids to get closer to our bro.Seems his presence was felt cause the kids had a blast and I felt alot better afterwards. Sure do miss him.........! Awesome post RW he loved it when that place was growling he just ate it up.Gotta go.... DA
john -
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by john - »

MEANWHILE BACK AT THE SURF BREAK........

....i did read an interesting overview if Chris and how he would turn up to contest's sans boards and just borrow what ever was on offer...didnt bother him.....still won most of the heats or the contest itself

i always hold this in mind when i paddle out on either of my pre loved numbers

ispose its a bit like poker...might not have the perfect hand but you can still win

OR

might not have the perfect board but you can still surf the others outa the water

:idea: i knew there was a connection to cards in all of this :wink:
merely labled
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

Yesterday, a surfer came up to my lifeguard tower asking directions to Sebastain Inlet. We got to talking and he told me he's from San Diego and is an officer in the Army. He just got stationed in Miami and came upcoast to catch some waves. His name is Trent Bruyere and soon we got on the topic of kneeboarding. He started talking about a friend from Cali that kneeboards so I asked him what his name was. When he said Chris Anderson, I got quiet for a moment. I never met Chris and have only read about him through this website, but I went ahead and told him the sad news. Trent was visibly shaken and, so I gave him this web site to make contact with any friends and family. He stayed a while and shared some great stories about Chris' kneeboarding and stand up surfing abilities.
RW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by RW »

June 3

There was a small south running today for the PB Coalition Contest along with the ever present westerly windswell about the same size.

Yep.....Turdmaline....it's not the greatest break, but it definately is the norm for crappy contest surf. Afterwards the majority of the group headed up to Big Rock....following a suggestion about south swells in a pre contest communique. The last time there was more than two KneeMen out there was the paddle out for Chris Andersen.

Now these contests are not about winning.....everyone is a winner through participation. It's about the team effort that makes the difference in our survival within the larger surfing communities worldwide. It's the willingness to be more than just a paying competitor that bridges many of the ridiculous social barriers between us....and them. Chris had that inante ability. Eric, Chris had talked to me about Trent on more than one occasion. They were peers. Chris only had less than a handfull of true close friends. He was that way. Trent was one of them.

As such, today is third year Chris left us. The contest today was a vision we had shared and were working on together for the future of the pastime we all enjoy. I didn't think about this connection until I began writing this out to the competitors last night. Makes his memory a bit brighter for me. I asked they surf in memory of Ando and to spread the Aloha he had to everyone at the event. The direction Chris and I were working on was always about how, and where, we as a group, merged together within our local communities, not how we separate ourselves from our surfing tribe.

It was a good day. As a small group of 15 KneeMen were welcomed and appreciated for our willingness to be a part of the PB event. What really stoked the many Clubs in attendance was that we had a full heat of groms out there tearing it up. They were amazed and truely excited to see a new generation in the water. The capper was ....a grom won...and in doing so he softened some old perceptions and started some new ones for his generation's time in the sun. There was a lot of progress made today inspite of being fools.

Wish I could have been a part of the Rock entourage but I was commited to riding out the contest scene to the end. It was worth the sacrifice as doors were opened for more potential later in the year. I was told Carne had a ferocious clocking encounter with a double up beast resulting in a real pop-eye perspective. Everyone knows....The Rock always wins. :lol:

So Darcy.....what's with the cat asking for pics.......I saw yur face??????:shock: Sorry about that. Watched him make the rounds before someone finally invited him to split.

The groms rocked, they stole the show.

Thanks to each of you for taking the time to attend. There's a lot of change taking place and you guys are helping to define the new standards.

Chris would be stoked.

Aloha
RW
shoulder huggin' chickens
RW

Post by RW »

"THE NEW GENERATION"

Pacific Beach Summer Classic, June 3. 2006, in memory of Chris Anderson's legacy and his dream of a new breed at The Rock.

Thanks to all who elected taking a day off to make this a successfull outing for these young rippers. Can any of you remember that age with yur new found surf pals. Hold on to that feeling and don't let it slip away again.

Chris passed his torch to them this day.....

:cool:
RW

Post by RW »

Chris was pigheaded and stubborn. Some of our rambling talks would really piss him off, especially when I forced him to think outside his little KneeBoard box. It took years of patience and perserverence to get him to open himself up to bigger perspective in his surfing.

During his Army days he wouild call me while on his duty watch. His back was giviin' him a lot of trouble from an injury and he was bummed he couldn't get on his stick as a result. I told him to stand up and learn to surf all over again. He did...and when he came back home he had reinvented himself....and his KneeBoarding.

He was always bummed that the guys he looked up to during his competitions never pushed their abilities to higher levels in more challenging surf. It was then he would start coming out with us old cats into the heavy deepwater breaks and destroy it like it was whimpy 3' mushburgers. It was impressive.

His backside attack standing was powerfull and as explosive as his KneeRiding. He was laying the same tracks down either method he surfed. I'd get calls from old friends who would tell about surfin' huge SMJ and asked me if he was the same little kid who always tagged along like a puppy years earlier.

Chris listened well during the 16 years we shared together. He learned to see the folly of contest surfing as KeeBoarding's savlation. He did despise it as he saw it for what it was and nothing more....a dog and pony act. But being the consumate driven competitor he always would go only it wasn't for the competition anymore, but rather for the acceptance for what he did by his peers. He was more pissed off about blowin' the big moves than winning. It wasn't his fault he couldn't stay focused.

What many of you saw at his reimergence in your premiere contest was the new Ando...at peace with himself, and content that what he loved to do more than anything in this world was merely his escape from a world of insanity and pain. It was his refuge...that's when he turned his last corner and really saw surfing in it's purest element.

He called asking if I would go with him to the event. I declined. We discussed it and he said he would attend as my emmissary. One of the last things he told me was his loyalty to our friendship would never be in jepardy. He was ready to step into the leadership role he had carved out for himself unkowingly in his pure pusuit of wild abandon.

Chris was moving further into big wave suring in his last few years. Bud and I used to talk about the wild kid and after awhile Bud sent him one of his older guns. It collected a lot of dust over the years till he grew into it and after one session a NBird with me he was on fire once again. All he really wanted to do was get to Oahu and surf powerfull waves...especially Pipe. He was determined to replace Rex's legacy there, as he had done at the Rock.

I too had offered to buy him a roundtrip ticket to the Country every year starting in 1992, but he was to focused on his family and school to spare even a week. He belonged there. He would have fufilled a very big void in the KneeRiding community if he had gone over and proved what many of us already knew. He was the best of his generation and would have lead more over with him ten years before Bud's first invitational collection of aged vets.

So tonight I was looking through a box of his old pics and found this one from SurfShot. I never saw this when it was the web shot of the day, but it stands out just a solidly as many of his Rock pits.

Chris outgrew his myopia about KneeRiding. He had matured and knew best how to keep his surfing balanced and his perspectives clear on how to further promote the hobby he cherished as the second most important thing in his life.

We all miss him no doubt. Some more than others. His family is doing well. I call every once in a while to share some thoughts.

The last time we surfed together he told me " Ya know, I was a fool to think that being the best Kneerider would change the surfing world's perceptions about us. It never will any more than cotensts ever will. Now I understand all that crap you've been tellin me since I met ya. I can see now KneeBoarders need to be active participants in the surf community to have any sway or say in our future.....if there is even a hope for one. I'll do what I can to help out but my little girl and Brandon are my first priority. Thanks for putting up with me all these years. It's all about loyalty....I'll always cover your back."

This last is Chris who had become a very solid man, the same kid who brought a lot of turmoil and happiness into my life. I was proud to see him finnaly come into his own.

Aloha.

8)
Rachel Andersen

Post by Rachel Andersen »

It's been 3 years and this year has been especially difficult. They say time heals but lately time just reminds me of how much more time we have without Chris.

A month or so ago I plugged in a phone that has a digital voice mail machine attached to it. It's a phone I had been using before he passed. It had been at least a year an a half since I had used the phone and when I plugged it in there were 2 saved messages from him. I listened to them and it was the sweetest sound. His voice, normal and deep. Asking me about the kids. Making normal everyday arrangements. Some might have been saddened but it made me smile.

We see pictures and remember events and moments but to hear a voice brings back so much more. We saved it on a tape so the kids will have it forever.

Also a few weeks ago an old friend of Chris's located me. She had only recently heard of his passing and it brought it all back. In talking with her about him it brought it all back again. Maybe that's why this anniversary has been so hard.

The kids are getting older and have changed so much since Chris died. Brandon is in high school, doesn't surf much anymore and is becoming a young man. Cassidy is in Jr. High and is a very social young lady. She doesn't laugh like she used to but does when we remember how funny her dad was.

I do so much appreciate this site and all of you who share your memories and the updates on contests, the next generation and such. Chris was so loved and respected by so many.Thank you.

Rachel
MWROBERTSON

Chris Anderson

Post by MWROBERTSON »

I still think about and talk to Chris. (thoughts, prayers)

We shared some very special and pumping, glassy 6ft surf at Alisomar one evening. Then some large stuff at Steamers the next afternoon.

He's etched into my hart and mind forever. :)
Jack Beresford

chris

Post by Jack Beresford »

Rachel,

They scattered the ashes of another surfer last week at Windnsea - it brought back memories of that very nice tribute to Chris 3 years ago. It's good to hear from you. I know Chris is still in many of our thoughts and prayers. I can't paddle out at Big Rock or the Jetty without thinking of him. In January, many of us were together for the Worlds up in Santa Cruz. He would have really enjoyed seeing everyone and sharing some stories. His presence is still real strong up there too.

Take care.

Jack

PS: I bet he's stoked on how well the Chargers and Pads have done these past three years!
Scott

Post by Scott »

Rachel,

Thanks for sharing the update on your family, and how you work to keep Chris' memory alive for all of you. The phone message story was really sweet!
Craig

Post by Craig »

Rachel,
I met Chris for the first time @ the 2004 comps in Santa Cruz.
Chris grabed this water logged old beater stick someone lent him for his heat and proceeded to shread and win his heat.
I was so blown away! I introduced myself latter that day .and we spoke for quite awhile.
It was like I'd known Chris for years, he was an old soul kind of guy.
As I recall we didn't speak much about surfing but about his Kids family and so on.
I guess what I'm saying is I met a really good guy and new friend that weekend.
Your pain will fade, but the memories will always be.

Craig
KenL

Chris Andersen

Post by KenL »

I just stumbled across this website as I googled my old friend Chris Andersen. I knew he had passed a few years ago and have thought of him often. I used to surf with him back in the mid 80's when we were in high school. He was the first guy to take me out to Sub and Ab at the Cliffs and to Big Rock. He had this shitty little white Chevy he used to call his vet...it was a chevet. haha. He took me to Baja Malibu when their was still the empty dirt lot...so many days at Blacks. He really opened up my surfing world. He was riding these insane blue quad boards and was always blasting Rush and Iron Maiden on our surf missions. Some of the best and gnarliest experiences I had in my high School years were because of Chris. He was like a big brother to me.

People used to talk crap since he was a kneeboarder, but he ripped so hard, dropped in so late and got so tubed, people would stop talking and watch him surf. He alone changed the way many viewed Kneeboarding at Big Rock. He had an agressiveness that no other kneeboarders possessed. He was raw to say the least.

After years of hanging out with him and taking pics of him at the rock, we kind of went our seperate ways. I lost track of him but always remembered him well. A few years back I ran into him at a Pacific Beach Surf shop. He said he was out of the Army and stand-up surfing. The first thing he did was proudly show me pictures of his kids. He couldn't say enough wonderful things about them. I was surfing less at that time and again, lost track of him. I was so stoked though to see he was in a good place.

The last I heard he was living way up the West Coast so he could be near his kids. I had heard he was depressed a bit before his end. It really broke my heart to find out such a free spirit was gone. Again, I dont really know his story the past ten years, but after reading many of your comments about Chris, it sounded like he had finally come home to his true love of Knee riding.

One memory that haunts me is a talk I had with Chris about mortality back in the late 80's. Select Surf Shop owner Phil Castagnol Sr. passed away from a drug overdose and It left most of us reeling. I was staying the night at Chris' parents house so the next morning he could drive me to a YMCA contest. He looked over at me and wondered out loud about Big Phil. He asked if I thought he was in heaven...he was worried that a drug overdose would keep Phil out. We talked about this for awhile and talked about life and death. I never forgot that talk because it was so deep and unlike our everyday conversation. I think now Chris has the answer and is trading waves with Big Phil in heaven.

I never would have thought it would end up the way it did for Chris and as a father of two, I can only imagine the hurt the family has had to deal with. To his kids, I would like to tell you that your father was a really good guy and you should always be proud of the man he was. For better or worse, he mattered to a great many people and he loved you guys so much. take comfort in everyone's words here...Chris affected so many in so many great ways.

I hope that Chris' wife or famliy can contact me as I have a few cool pics from his early days in PB I would love to pass of to his kids.

God Bless,

Ken
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Really nice, KenL, and well written! Thank you! Image
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Doc Turbo

Rest In Peace Chris

Post by Doc Turbo »

DarcyM wrote:Really nice, KenL, and well written! Thank you! Image
I too am a few years behind and feel sorry for all of your loss of Chris, I am surprised though that we never met.... I went to Point Loma College for 4 years 76-80 surfed abs and subs regularly often with a stand up guy called Hal. Of course Hospitals and Horseshoes, and occasional rock.

Rest in peace Chris
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Christopher Andersen

Post by AlynnAndersen07 »

Just a couple of days ago was the 5th anniversary of my Uncle Chris's passing. I was very young when my uncle had passed but I’m now almost 14 and I understand the situation much better. I've learned a lot from my uncle, he's taught me to appreciate my family more and the time I have on this Earth. I've read all the stories people have posted about him and it’s brought me laughs, tears and smiles. Every story i appreciate and it makes me feel closer to my uncle as I read them. My favorite story would have to be the one on his view about seals; if they were half eaten then that means the sharks were no longer hungry thus, it was safe to surf. :] He always knew how to bring humor into situations. I still miss my uncle greatly but I know he’s now watching over us. I will make sure to tell my kids about how great my uncle is and how he always brought joy to our family. I'd like to thank you all for your support and stories. I love you Uncle Chris.

Thanks,
Alynn Andersen