Greenough Exhibit in Santa Barbara

This forum is for discussion on people who have left the kneeriding community a better sport and fraternity because of their contributions and presence...

Moderators: Moderator, Jack Beresford

surfhorn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Greenough Exhibit in Santa Barbara

Post by surfhorn »

I don't remember seeing this on our site but two weeks ago I stumbled onto a mind blowing experience.

I was hanging out at Santa Barbara harbor while my son was being recruited by the track coach at SB City College to pole vault/high jump for that school. As I wandered around killing time, I walked into the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum. Great exhibits on ships, fishing, oil rigs - anything and everything nautical.

Then I saw it....................a full on Greenough exhibit: boards; templates; fins; kitchen sink. WOW! And in the theater nonstop, looped Greenough films (Crystal Voyager, etc)! Damn!

This is truly a worthwhile 'must see' for any of you who remotely care about the history of KBing. It costs $6 to get in but the entire museum is so extensive it is well worth the small charge. You may want to have lunch first because you'll end up spending hours in this place.

Again, Double WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The web site doesn't mention Greenough: just "Surfing Exhibit". They don't know what they got!!!!!!!!!
http://www.sbmm.org/
kbing since plywood days
stemple

Post by stemple »

Thanks for the heads up. I am heading to SB on wedesday I will see if I can fit it into my schedule. Did you notice how late the place was open too?

:oops: Never mind I just checked the website 5:00 pm. Again thanks for the heads up.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Stemple - Make sure you bring incense to burn...this is truly a shrine!
The water temp is in the 70s........I KBed the stretch by Emma Woods. Take the State Parks exit past the old Oil Piers and drive that section that used to by Hyway 1; Beach break but a lot of fun punchy waves!
kbing since plywood days
Pieetry
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by Pieetry »

I was in there helping out when they put it together, got some mesureemnts off some boards and took some pictures, maby going to see how close i can recreate one, just for fun. Sounds like there might be a possibilty of showing some of his films later in the year in their nice theater. My father did some of the construction and has been a big proponent of having the local surf culture displayed there, the step into liquid premeire premovie party was held there, now this. Lots of fun.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Films are up and running in the theater. I was able to sit there - all alone in the theater - and have my own private showing.

I was the founding project director in creating the Santa Cruz Surfing Museum so I know a little about these things. The Santa Barbara Maritime Museum is a class act and should by high our everyone's list of things to do. With the great restaurants in that immediate area and the wonderful walkway around the marina (out to Sandspits) it would be a hit for every surfer and their dates and/or families.
kbing since plywood days

Post by Guest »

i work in the harbor and once in a while go in and check the greenough stuff out. I checked his spoons(carbon fiber ones) and they are way more flexible and lighter than one might imagine, gotta be a blast to ride.You could duck dive them to the bottom -no problem!!Even has some of Dale's mats on the wall of the museum.That movie SPROUT is premiering there on the 17th I think with live music -should be a good time!!!
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

So anybody seen Sprout and want to post a review?
kage
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by kage »

s'good. The first 15 minutes are the best. Nice artwork. I get bugged at most surf movies because they are either "look at how big that wave is" or "and then we surfed blah blah and the day after that we surfed blah blah blah and...". Sorry, I digress. Better than most.
Eric Carson

Post by Eric Carson »

"Sprout" is grfx intensive, at times it looked like a TV show open that kept repeating itself. Grfx evrywhere and then more grfx. Quad splits and more grfx. The actual open shows a barreling indo right for about 2 seconds which gets a hoot. From then on out the movie is pretty much 3' and under. Long perfect LB waves highlighted by fishes and eggs. Lots of Lis inspired fish boards.
Never over 3'. Digitally edited and played back from tape the picture quality was excellent. I personally would move the indo segement closer to the front. The shackas PSA is not be missed. After 30 minutes my broh walks out stating, "great surf but I think they were a day late on every swell".
Parts of the film were sped up and others were slowed down to fit the soundtrack.
A lot of films now adays are "film outs" as they were produced in a digital video environment and sent to HDcam where a inter neg was struck to make prints.
So my take on the speed thing is this:
Speed ramping is a "plug in" to ramp video from real time to slow mo and vice a versa. So the video was "ramped" for an effect purpose.
I would definitely recommend seeing "Sprout" just for the traveling road show factor
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

Does sound kinda fun