6'2 aussie quad

Use this area to post info on new boards or looking for a new shape. Not a design forum though...

Moderator: Moderator

skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

6'2 aussie quad

Post by skansand »

just bought her off of syd a couple weeks ago...its 6'2 square tail with fcs Freeline quad...i was told that it was aussie influenced(not from syd).im not sure what that means with a quad, i figure it means wider fin-set...just got to surf it yesterday in really fun surf...Norside HB pier 6-8' w/ 10' sets, beautiful day, Sunny..offshore..tide never got above 5'..just a really memorable day.....the board gos really fast and i found myself making sections i never thought possible..hard to get vertical..likes longer drawn out turns...RIDES ANYTHING...the biggest sets were mine for the taking and i rode the wave all the way to the inside shorey(finally got to feel what its like to pump the board to ride the mush)..had a nice barrel on in the shorey... :D ...its equipped with twin parks pads which i find have plenty grip but not enough shock absorbsion for my knees...i usually ride more towards the front so i almost always overshot the pads a little. ill probably try a yoga-mat or camping pad approach...i did however on a head-high right manage to scoot(push/hop) back where my knees were 3/4 of the way onto the pads and felt it was much more manueverable vertically but it wanted to pull out so i got on all fours(which mustve looked ridiculous) and managed to stay on the wave...its a nice board..but i still want a more diverse quiver...something alot lighter... :roll:
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
albert

Post by albert »

instead of adding more padding onto the board. why dont you just gently rip out the pads and reglue them with spray adhesive?
skansand

er

Post by skansand »

:) ..still learning.. id like to keep experimenting with the riding more towards the tail but.... on critical waves still choose whats comfortable and natural..
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Ska - welcome to the OC chapter of the "I bought a board from Syd Club"! I bought a Parkes quad from Syd a couple of years ago (for a great deal I might add - thanks Syd) and if your board is anything like this one it is a bit thick and beefy - really goes in big waves! One thing about Aussie Quads is that with the fins so far forward you have to ride them with your wieght forward (at least seem to work better when I can do that). hard to get used to but I really love the board.

Post by Guest »

OK I guess I have to weigh in here. Jimbo bought a Parkes quad and it does have the fins pretty far forward. I found it difficult to adjust my disfunctional riding style to a very far fins forward rail to rail type riding. I did find that when I was in the right position it was loose and screamed and was a great board. I just found that I could not ride it consistently that way therefore sold it to someone wanting to try a aussie four fin set up.

The Freeline board I would say is more of a california influenced board as the fin position is maybe 4 to 5 inches farther back on the tail than the Parkes It likes to be ridden from the tail and likes a sizeable face to ride. It was one the first custom boards I bought a few years back. Its 6'2" and as skansand noticed it likes more drawn out down the line driving turns, to make it go vertical you got to get a bit further back because of the position of fins. Also its rail lines are a bit more parallel thus in my opinion making it favor a more drawn out turn geometry. I didn't play with the fin set up much and that could have a bit of impact on its handling characteristics. It does not have parkes pads on it, the pads its has are a bit thinner than Parkes. At the time I didn't know I could buy Parkes pads (my favorites now) from Don. I think if you want a board that goes vertical very well and easily than a tri fin might be a better call but I am sure there are lots of opinions about that as well.

I will say that I started kneeboarding consistently in 1999 (newby by this sites standards). I have had romos, freelines, parkes, flashpoints, and blasts (eight boards total). I felt it took me awhile and $$$ to find the board geometry that worked best for me. I hope you guys don't feel I mislead you in any way because that was not my intent.
stemple

Post by stemple »

sorry, I just switched over to a mozilla web browser, i still am abit confused withit. I was the guest that posted the last comment.

Syd
skansand

wait ...huh?

Post by skansand »

my board doesnt have parkes pads.???..whats the P stand for thats imprinted into the pads?????? :oops:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Syd - not mislead at all. I love that board!!! It works unreal - just wish I was a better rider. The "I bought a board from Syd" thing was not intended to be negative. Sorry if I came off that way. In fact, I consider myself lucky cuz no way can I spend the $$$ for a new one.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Knock, knock

Who's there?

Syd?

Syd who?

Syd down, you're rocking the boat!

Sorry, I couldn't help it... my daughter came home with that one the other day.

How's it going, Syd? I've been out so long, but, except for that high pressure a few weeks back, didn't seem I was missing much. Been out? Or, making the waters safer for us to go out?
skansand

humm

Post by skansand »

jimbo says aussie quads have fins more forward...syd says the fins are much farther back then the parkes (which i assume is standard)(is there a standard??)...the fins on my freeline look farther apart then the romos and blasts ive seen...is this in relation to the square tail as opposed to a roun/pin that others may use.????...well whats the definition for aussie quad....fins more forward?/backward?/apart?...im finding myself say their more apart or farther back when people ask about it..which is pretty often..havnt found anyone thats heard of an aussie tri...luckily for me.
Beeline2.0

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

There are no standards
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
albert

Post by albert »

Steenos wrote:There are no standards
Thats the ONLY standard...
stemple

Post by stemple »

Bob surf, what surf, three surfs in 2.5 months

My sob story starts with my inability to balance surf, work, and family life, follows with a flat surf vacation in SD and ends with a wintery weather pattern and now minor surgery.

Misery wants company, lets here your surf woes.

Ps. Mike Sears I am happy for you that scored Nor cal really good but please remember those pictures cause some of us extreme pain and envy. :( Please post responsibly!!!