NEW AIPA

Use this area to post info on new boards or looking for a new shape. Not a design forum though...

Moderator: Moderator

CONTIKI
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

NEW AIPA

Post by CONTIKI »

HEY YOU GUYS...
:D :D :D :D
I'm building a 5'8" 21" 2.5" Ben Aipa replica, like the board I built in '76, '77, (for some reason I can't remember)Have it posted in the boards section.

I am doing my own graphics and wanted to know if I can use the KSUSA logo on my top deck. You know, any legal stuff.
Thought it would be an honor to have it on my board.
I'm not selling it, just going to keep it for my pesonal...

Who would know???
Please get back to me soon.... Need to get'r done!!!
THANX,
*WAVES ARE OF THE ESSENCE*
5 SUMMER STORIES
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Aipa Stinger

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CONTIKI

Wingded Swallow

Post by CONTIKI »

BEELINE,

:?: WHAT??? :?:
5 SUMMER STORIES
Beeline2.0

Re: Wingded Swallow

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CONTIKI

Post by CONTIKI »

Me too!
Thanx Beeline :D
I liked my old winged swallow for how easy it was to paddle out, take off late, and pull right up tight inside....

Wish me luck.
5 SUMMER STORIES
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

"Surfing's New Image"...reinventing Aipa after 30 years. How f'ing cool is that?!?

Take a look at TooFast's new board in the Album. The similarities are amazing.

Sometimes, ya gotta reach into the Old to branch into the New.

my 2 cents... :wink:
randiego

Post by randiego »

hey Kidrock - you're not kidding

last week I had to listen to my 25 yr old stand-up surfer sister telling me how a fish works :x (youth is wasted on the young)

I patiently explained if you want to know how a fish works, talk to a kneeboarder - but of course that one falls on deaf ears. I finally shut her down by reminding her that I ordered my first Lis 3 years before she was born.

:lol:
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Go for it !!!.. I`d love to see another KBer riding something like I ride. 6 out of 7 boards of mine are in the Aipa style. I`m with Kidrock, old style with new flare. The board I was riding (until my new one came),the stingers are at 18" up from the tail That board is 5'8". The new one I got from Bruce is 5'7" and the stingers are at 20" up from the tail. My 5-8 board has improved my surf 10 fold. I exspect Bruce`s board to push me even farther. Again, old design with new technolorgy and a little exspiramentation. I`m all for it...... Make me PROUD !!!!
loonylen
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

New boards Aipa style

Post by loonylen »

My first kb was a similar shape Toofast, It was semi spooned had a single raked fin in a 10" box.I got it 2nd hand from a workmate in the late 70's. It was a Jackson made in southern sydney, Cronulla area. It was very fast, wish i still had it,a broken occy strap on a road trip led to its untimeley departure from the water may she r.i.p.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

randiego wrote:hey Kidrock - you're not kidding

last week I had to listen to my 25 yr old stand-up surfer sister telling me how a fish works :x (youth is wasted on the young)

I patiently explained if you want to know how a fish works, talk to a kneeboarder - but of course that one falls on deaf ears. I finally shut her down by reminding her that I ordered my first Lis 3 years before she was born.

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

At that time the wide point was in front of the center of the board; today's boards have the wide point behind center. Also, down rails and ran a long box with a single fin. Wing/sting was at 21" approximately.

If you asked, I know John Mel/Freeline has order forms from that era with all the diminsions. A big ol' stack covered with foam dust. I remember riding a 7'6" standup at big Moss. We used a twangy 12" flex fin. Went straight well........
kbing since plywood days
Mark Ramirez

New Aipa

Post by Mark Ramirez »

The stinger's main feature was a bifurcated outline: two-thirds of the way from the nose, the rails abruptly cut in about one inch towards the boards center strip, then continued down to the tail. The stiger was a hybrid, grafting the narrow tail section of a big-wave gun onto the wider hips and nose of a small-wave hotdog board. A narrow-base single fin, placed further up from the tail than conventional single-fin boards, was another design component, as were the beveled rails along the front section.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I went through a series of KBs with that design during those days. Worked well in big beach breaks. I'll have to have someone scan my transparencies some day so I can post shots of the boards. I've kept a photo chronicle of just about every board, starting in 1969 when we shaped our first board.

One of my stingers had a mermaid and an octopus crushing a standup board.
kbing since plywood days
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

I remember the Aipa shapes made popular by Buttons and Bertlemann during the "Skate on Water" era of the mid 70's. There was a few floating around San Diego, particularly South Mission.

I also remember seeing the kneeboard version of the same Stinger shape, but they were rare. Generally in the 5'5"-5'8" range, approximately 3-4" wider than the standup shapes, with a flatter deck and somewhat "softer" rails...with that damn tall, flexed fin.

Really cool shape for that era, pretty pricey$$$$$ though.