broken record

Use this area to post info on new boards or looking for a new shape. Not a design forum though...

Moderator: Moderator

Man O' War
Legend (Contribution King!)

broken record

Post by Man O' War »

if you know me you know i'm into spoons to the point of being annoying

still, maybe you'd like to see the latest (and hopefully last, at my age), just finished,
5'9" x 26", 4" rocker (none in the tail), 12" flex fin, 6 oz carbon & epoxy (Resin Research 1980, hard),
about 8 lbs

test rode it the other day and so far so good -- it's a slingshot which is all I ask

more pics at
http://flexspoon.com/forum//viewtopic.p ... c&start=30
rick mottola
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by rick mottola »

where'd you ride it ManO, how were the waves?
frankfqr

OH HECK YEAH!!!!!!

Post by frankfqr »

You know I want some specs! As a start how far back does the hull rail extend, or how much tail space is totally flat? Big one for me is how thick is the fin base? LOVELY!!!!! This post should draw major attention, total flex is hard for most to absorb, but the "hydro's" contain major insight....for those that want to know.......BIG PROPS!!!!!!!
frankfqr

nice work

Post by frankfqr »

Nice read and pics on the flexspoon site, questions answered, thanx.......
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Ship it to Santa Cruz and we'll test ride it all winter for you and let you know how it rides because we all know that there are no waves in Florida........lol
kbing since plywood days
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

What a beauty! I didn't know you made them so wide. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Scott

Post by Scott »

Bro,

Another work of art! And (wow!) 26" wide. You need to post a more detailed description on how it rides once you get a good swell on it. Will you be bringing it to Santa Cruz with you at the end of this December?
floyd699
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by floyd699 »

Mate - more importantly, what did you buy the missus to let you do the job INSIDE the house?
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Man O' War, that's a really beautiful board. Please let us all know how it rides. Are the waves in Florida big enough to get a spoon to really go? Anyway I love the color.
tomway

Post by tomway »

It's stunning. The most beautiful one yet, I'd say. The transition from hull to flat looks perfect... Well done mate!
Man O' War

Post by Man O' War »

Thanks for all the comments. After two sessions in 4-6' I'm happy with it and wondering what it's going to do when the surf gets bigger. It's an improvement over the other ones I've made. The carbon has more kick and is lighter. It's tougher too but that's no guarantee. All boards can break, and if this one goes, you'll see a grown man cry. I'm a little bit on pins and needles--it's an unknown.

I also think I got the proportions better--more width, especially in the tail, and more hull. You can imagine how that tail wants to spin out, and the fin and corners will let it go to a certain extent, while the hull lets it bank up. There's this hesitation, then it unloads and projects. It's amazing (and addicting). Banking off the top felt good too. No cutbacks yet, all quick beach break so far, but I'm looking forward to that. Duckdiving--it barely floats, about 6 in. of nose out of the water, so you can take it to the bottom.

tomway -- glad you like it -- you've done some beautiful stuff.

mark, most of the time FL struggles to get head high -- we've got a couple potential hurricanes out there right now but then that's Russian Roulette.

floyd, my missus is like yours, I don't do boards in the house but epoxy has no smell, so you can lay it up outside and bring it in to cure.

Scott, yes, it's coming out to CA -- I think you'll like this one.

Mike, that width feels good sitting in it too, but it's a two-edged sword. I'm hoping the hull helps keep it on the surface in bigger surf.

surfhorn, see you in Dec. How about some red delicious for a ride?

frank, glad you're stoked. Carbon is good -- you can get it for $35/yd (x 50") at www.easternburlap.com

Rick, Bonsteel looked much better for the spoon than Sebastian but there was a big bull on patrol. Makes you think about our last session...
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Man O' War - You're on! We'll kick out to The Point so we can get you some loooooong walls to give that thang a run for your money.
kbing since plywood days