Newey from Red

Use this area to post info on new boards or looking for a new shape. Not a design forum though...

Moderator: Moderator

red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Newey from Red

Post by red »

Been tinkering away in the basement
Here's what came out after we glued together a few eskies (polystyrene coolboxes for those of youse wot don't do proper english), hacked into them, stuck on some veneers stripped from a kitchen somewhere, and glassed it....*

*Actually Stump did all the hard glassing stuff. I just designed, machine cut (scraping not shaping), and vacuum bagged the bamboo veneer.

I might bring it to NZ, but I've got 8 hours until I leave and still have to have supper and to pack, so it might be tight.

tomway
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by tomway »

Beautiful red. And I'm guessing you've played down the amount of work you've put into design and build time considerably :D Where are the stringers? What are the rails made of?

Great that some more kneelos are getting in to this kind of construction.
red

Post by red »

6 hours to flight time - back in the office doing last minute cr^p. Still have to get home and pack boards!

Thanks for the interest.

1.5lb EPS core
Perimeter 4oz cloth/epoxy stingers (i.e. 2" in from the rail - no centre stringer)
0.4mm (0.016"?) bamboo veneer
4 oz top and bottom
Epoxy resin

16.5 nose and tail; 23.5" wide; 2 1/4 thick, 4WFS adjustable fin system (forward /back/toe/cant). Proven high performance board design in PolyUrethane/Polyester resin made in EPS/epoxy
Feels pretty light, but it's 3kg (6 1/2 lbs, I think). Next ones will be lighter.

Took a bit of figuring out, especially the vaccuumi bagging bit. Epoxy is a different creature to work with. Pretty easy to cook the EPS blank because the resin can get hot. Different cure times and potential for air bubbles, blush and a host of other traps.
tomway

Post by tomway »

Thanks! Good luck with the packing and at the worlds :)
Board looks great, NZ would be a good place to test it.
So it's a wmd inspired setup. glass under the veneer? Shaping those glass stringers tricky?

Also noticed that MarkyV has just posted this full compsand over on the uk site - weighs in under 2kg which shows what can be achieved in terms of weight. Pretty impressive:
http://kneelo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 1217#p1217
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Nice, very Nice,
Haven't worked with the bamboo yet but it looks liked you had no problem flexing it around your shape. As with any wood designs, it's the weight that is the challenge. Very professional Red.
Terence H

Post by Terence H »

Wow Red i really fancy the whole idea ,would like to try to do one myself.
Looks excellent.

So your shoulder is ok for the Worlds ? Good luck.

T
Stanley

Post by Stanley »

Great looking board red..
How do I get hold of one and how much will it cost me????

I would like to throw something around like that on some of the Peninsula heavy spots. does the vaneer mak it stronger reducing the breackage factor????

Thanks
red have a good time in NZ :P :P :P
ross

Post by ross »

Interesting construction, still using Mat McDermotts registered label though?? Even more interesting.
analbirth

Post by analbirth »

Sic board, check out my single fin 1980 vac bagged epoxy, queensland cedar over standard blank and glass with laminated block rails 5'6" x 23"
it's in board pic's in the album i'm too techno challenged to get it on the post [ i'm old ish ] AB
once you've had black you'll never go back!!!
skansand

Post by skansand »

insane! cant wait to read everything when i get back and add my own questions.... 8)
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
skansand

Post by skansand »

Im entranced..... wood looks good and light means flight! Im gonna look for some of that bamboo veneer around here in so cal....

but whats with the black rails? It looks great but is there solid wood or Pvc or PU under the paint?

Is the glass cloth laminated vertical like a perimiter stringer 2" away from the outside rail or is it a rail-wrap that extends 2" inside the deck/bottom (like those carbon parabolics)

so many possibilities,
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
red

Post by red »

Old logo on the board owing to poor communication.

Quite a few hours went into figuring out the technology of putting this board together. The design is a proven one so the only variable is the construction.
Comments from the crew at the world's was how pretty it was and surprise at how fine the rails are. Thinner rails allow you to switch from rail to rail really easily without the drag of rolled bottom or deep vee so you have a fast responsive board. The gunny outline means that the board is drivey and the flat bottom and length keep it afloat when the going gets flat. I like the design in 2' to 8'+.

This particular board is almost too strong - equivalent of 14oz cloth top and bottom, 8oz rail wrap, painted black for aesthetic value.

Veneer is thin (0.4mm) so it can fit the curves of the blank without too much pressure.

The stringers are vertical cloth. They provide integrity to the rocker and also insulate the core from water in case of a rail ding. They can be a little fiddly to sand down because the EPS sands easier.

Stan you're welcome to try to snap a light one.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

was cool to catch up with you and jane, til next time
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
kosmicdreamer
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by kosmicdreamer »

red wrote:6 hours to flight time - back in the office doing last minute cr^p. Still have to get home and pack boards!

Thanks for the interest.

1.5lb EPS core
Perimeter 4oz cloth/epoxy stingers (i.e. 2" in from the rail - no centre stringer)
0.4mm (0.016"?) bamboo veneer
4 oz top and bottom
Epoxy resin

16.5 nose and tail; 23.5" wide; 2 1/4 thick, 4WFS adjustable fin system (forward /back/toe/cant). Proven high performance board design in PolyUrethane/Polyester resin made in EPS/epoxy
Feels pretty light, but it's 3kg (6 1/2 lbs, I think). Next ones will be lighter.

Took a bit of figuring out, especially the vaccuumi bagging bit. Epoxy is a different creature to work with. Pretty easy to cook the EPS blank because the resin can get hot. Different cure times and potential for air bubbles, blush and a host of other traps.
this is a problem i have had when working with epoxy resin... now i have
a climate controlled glassing room... so theres no spikes in temp.. Love
the board it looks very similar to the template i got..thanks :D :D
still ridin with all these broken parts....