Fourth Gear Fun

Use this area to post info on new boards or looking for a new shape. Not a design forum though...

Moderator: Moderator

KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

Speaking of which, did ya get yours in the water yet?
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

KenM wrote:Speaking of which, did ya get yours in the water yet?

(insert sound of chirping crickets here.)
Bill F
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Bill F »

I 've been riding my Nuematic mat at the local beach lately with my five yr old son for fun . Yesterday , I took it out alone for a wave and told him to watch ...I waited for a nice peak and pulled in ,got a nice vision and ate it. I came up and 2 lifeguards were throwing shakas and cheering. My son is stoked on surfing !
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

KenM wrote:This thing is easier to ride and harder to paddle than I expected.
Funny, I find the exact opposite! :?

G
KenM

Post by KenM »

Gray, how much air are you putting in yours? I've found (naturally) it paddles easier with more air. With less air and bumpy conditions it was like trying to stay on a bar of soap. Still way down the on the learning curve but improving each session. Summer surf up here has me alternating between my kb and the mat about every other session.
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

KenM wrote:Gray, how much air are you putting in yours? I've found (naturally) it paddles easier with more air. With less air and bumpy conditions it was like trying to stay on a bar of soap. Still way down the on the learning curve but improving each session. Summer surf up here has me alternating between my kb and the mat about every other session.
As you may have seen on the Surf Matters blog, I ride a canvas Redback so far from the best equipment. Still have a real blats on it though.

I inflate it to the old 90 degree bend. Tend to need to top up with air once in the water though as the cold of the water contracts the air in the mat so it goes softer. I find that it does paddle better with a bit more air but I really struggle to ride it. I find I slip around alot more. The 90 degree thing seems just about right.

I do get that slipping about on it thing though. I've completely given up trying to duck dive and go over everything now because duck dives leave me sprawling around like a right kook! :D Works for me though cause I only go out on the mat in waist high surf or less. Bigger than that and I'm on my knees.

I'm by no means a good mat surfer. Getting better all the time though. Geting a few off the lips and cutties in. Just love that "what the f*ck's going on" feeling!

G
KenM

Post by KenM »

Gray, I havn't had too much trouble slipping with the 4gf except when I had it underinflated, wonder if there is something you can put on it for more grip like that stuff on the Solomonsons? I've also had the same experience with cold water (insert shrinkage joke here). As for duck diving I fold the front corners forward and fold the mat in half in the middle, seems to work pretty good even in head high surf. And as for "sprawling around like a right kook", hey nobody's lookin', are they? :oops: Cappy, mats ARE for sleeping, between sets. Now if I can just figure out how to attach one of those blow up bath pillows.
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

Hmmm I wonder if the differences in our experiences are down to the fact I'm riding a crap mat!

:lol:

G
KenM

Post by KenM »

Cappy, isn't 6'4" a little tall, er, i mean long for a blow up toy? Gray, I don't know about that particular mat but the 4GH has been alot of fun in surf from 2' to head high. I usually ride it in surf that is too small, too mushy or too sectiony for my kb.
GRAYMAN

Post by GRAYMAN »

KenM wrote: I usually ride it in surf that is too small, too mushy or too sectiony for my kb.
Yup me too. They are amazing aren't they? Soooooooooo much fun. I actually look forward to slop now! :)

G
RMcKnee

bubbling under

Post by RMcKnee »

El Capitan wrote: i can feel all the ripples and bumps, but, i have a lot more control, acceleration and maneuverabilty...

Bro, I used to feel that way about sex about 20 years ago. Enjoy it while you can: it won't last.
GRAYMAN

Re: bubbling under

Post by GRAYMAN »

RMcKnee wrote:
El Capitan wrote: i can feel all the ripples and bumps, but, i have a lot more control, acceleration and maneuverabilty...

Bro, I used to feel that way about sex about 20 years ago. Enjoy it while you can: it won't last.
Feeling all the ripples? What kinda girls were you getting it on with?!

G
RMcKnee

meaty beaty big 'n' bouncy ... mmm

Post by RMcKnee »

Actually, I'd better make that 30 years ago or I'll be in big trouble!
She's sweet when she talks
And she bounces all over when she walks
She's forgot more about a man than your sweet momma ever told you
1:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQhlpAZbYVs

Heavenly.