Can Tech change surfing

Use this area to post info on new boards or looking for a new shape. Not a design forum though...

Moderator: Moderator

KenM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KenM »

Headwax. wrote:
Nice guy MtBarrels - very smart and helpful. I wonder what happened to him.
Wax, I heard Terry can be found surfing a usually grossly overcrowded north San Diego pointbreak, AT NIGHT. Ran into him there a few years back as I was heading out at first light, he was on his way in.
Captain Kneemo fan club
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by bdwqld »

albert wrote:Personally I am a bit skeptical of GPS technology capturing how fast surfers go. Not knowing all that much about the technology, you would think that the gps signal would have to be; a.) super strong, b.) updated at least every 1/10 of a second and c.) capture movement in all three dimensions.

I dont think GPS is quite that advanced to capture that particular speed, but I could be wrong! :oops:
Theoretically GPS can update once every 10milliseconds. However we are talking about some very expensive equipment with very fast processor speed. People in my profession use GPS every day to obtain accurate real time measurements +-10mm, each unit costs between $20,000 to $40,000.
I think GPS is only one component of the equation, the GPS would have to complimented with a stack of other inertia monitoring equipment to make an accurate measurement possible.
I always thought how well a board worked was an individual thing. :shock:
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

KenM wrote:
Headwax. wrote:
Nice guy MtBarrels - very smart and helpful. I wonder what happened to him.
Wax, I heard Terry can be found surfing a usually grossly overcrowded north San Diego pointbreak, AT NIGHT. Ran into him there a few years back as I was heading out at first light, he was on his way in.

Hah! How cool is that aye? We did the same thing at Maroubra in the seventies at the dark end of the beach. Wore helmets with waterproof torches

sorry to go off topic : it was about tech stuff and surfing wasn't it?

cheeeers from n ewie

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7807 ... ms20dz.jpg
Last edited by Headwax. on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bdwqld

Post by bdwqld »

Kev wrote: Broadcast is a strange business and the truth doesn't matter.
I'm shattered :twisted:
"Start at the Knees Please"
http://neepro.blogspot.com/
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

We used GPS to measure the speed on our ice sail boats. My brother's portable car navigation GPS can give you the speed of your vehicle, and the speed limit on the road your on. $100. I think. :wink:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
MJ

Post by MJ »

A lot of mobile (cell) phones have gps built in and can do the same thing. We were doing it on a Nokia E71 a couple of weeks ago, letting yachts know how fast they were going.

Perhaps rather than for broadcasting this new technology will be used for coaching in the first instance.