BSD Kneeboard Designs...

Use this area to post info on new boards or looking for a new shape. Not a design forum though...

Moderator: Moderator

BSD
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

BSD Kneeboard Designs...

Post by BSD »

Built a couple kneeboards this summer. Maybe this is a trend. A resurgence or kneelos. Either way, I am enjoying shaping them. I pride myself in shaping all types of surfcraft. I have to start by saying that my second board was actually a kneeboard growing up. A very "Fishy" looking board. I stood up on it anyways.

With the whole fish thing coming back, it was easy to morf some of my templates into a functional kneeboard. My customer asks me to make him something similar to his current ride. He came equipped with several of his personal boards. Couple Blasts and one I had never heard of. Talked in detail about what he liked and disliked about each of them. Settled on a 5'10" x 23.75" x 2.75" double-winged squash tail.

Fast forward 2 years, and he gives me freedom to shape him whatever I feel will work. I've made several for him now.

This is his latest. 5'10" x 23.75" x 2.25" Concave deck w/ flatter deck and volume carried out to the rail w/ an angular rail. Shallow single concave to double with some Vee off the tail. This board also features my "Katana Beveled Edge". This is a 3.5" bevel out near the rail which not only helps this board go on rail easier, it also thins out the rail as well. It also narrows the concave area. Wider board with concave seem to not turn so well. IMHO. This is a design feature I use on my wider surfboard designs.

I also strategically staggered the top layers of fiberglass for both strength under each knee, but also to allow the tail to flex during turns.

These boards are made from hand. No shaping machine, start to finish by myself.

Hoping to build more of these.
Barry Snyder Designs
barrysnyderdesigns.com
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402 ... bwjzpu.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402 ... djxueb.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402 ... x22woo.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402 ... d9l07d.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402 ... 32izni.jpg
joe
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: BSD Kneeboard Designs...

Post by joe »

Scott

Post by Scott »

Really nice shape, Barry. Looks like it's shaped to really turn well. Tell me about the idea in the setting of the quads. Usually the space between the back and the front is less, to make them turn more as a unit, is my understanding. Yours are much further apart than I see as "typical." Your thoughts?
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
BSD

Post by BSD »

Hey Scott.
From past experience, setting the fins closer will indeed make them work as set together. More pivotal turns. When spacing them further apart, it creates more drive. Still working on fin placement. Refinement, refinement, refinement.

What those pictures don't show is the special concave/bevel that I put in there to aid in turning. Works in conjunction with the fin placement.

When I worked at Brewer, I was employed as a Fin and Hot Coater. Glassed on a lot of fins. used to grind off my personals, glass on new ones, sand in the morning, and surf. All to further understand fins and their placement.

Those fins shown are at 8" and 16". Maybe I'll move them up a tad on the next one.

Barry
BSD

Post by BSD »

Thought I'd post a few more shots of a couple previous builds.
More on the way!

Upcoming.
C.P.Odom

Post by C.P.Odom »

Question: there is a trend to paint D-Day (Invasion) stripes on boards, are these supposed to be anti-shark stripes? I wondered because there is always the wrong number of stripes, usually six or more instead of the correct five stripes (3 white and 2 black).
Never leave well enough alone.
BSD

Post by BSD »

Just an airbrush design I've been doing for years. 6 stripes is my thing.
BSD

Post by BSD »

Been pumping out a bunch as of late. Including a Fireball step/channel bottom for Chris Buscemmi. Can’t seem to post pics here any more.

Check my insta.

@barrysnyderdesigns