Volan Kneelo...

Use this area to post info on new boards or looking for a new shape. Not a design forum though...

Moderator: Moderator

BSD
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Volan Kneelo...

Post by BSD »

This was a fun build. This guy came to me as a life long surfer. Spends his days retired and enjoying the ocean. Big San-O local these days. 69 years old. Having trouble getting to his feet these days. He's been surfing longer than me. Can't imagine how many waves he's popped up on.

He has bought boards from every top shaper in the biz. Came to me with some specifics. I was happy to oblige.

Wanted to go kneeboard. Anything to prolong his love of surfing. No problem, been building a few last couple years. Not far of a stretch from what I usually build. He liked the nose on my Hitchcock model. Liked the double Wing from my stock Kneeboard template. Also liked the Diamond tail of the Hitchcock Model. His favorite all-time board was a Volan cut lap too.

Being a handshaper, easy to marry three templates together. Way less time than it takes with surfboard software. Ordered a custom blank with my rocker requirements, and added width. Black glue lines made it pop.

I personally glassed this board with all 6oz. Volan cloth, Extra semi-circle patches for knees. Pinline on top lap to clean it up some. Fins set forward the way Kneelo's like 'em.

6'6" x 24" x 3-1/2"
US Blanks red density.

Scott
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: Volan Kneelo...

Post by Scott »

Thanks for posting on your unique board, BSD. Certainly a wide board, like most kneeboards, at 24", but also pretty wide at the nose and tail, too. At 6'6" I assume this rider is a pretty big guy, too. Hope he has a great time making the transition, and finds some other kneelos to surf with. There will be the KSUSA Championships in Oceanside this coming March, I believe, and I hope he can join us for that to hang out with everyone.
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
joe

Post by joe »

Nice work Barry. I like the old school cutlap and pin lines.
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

Yes, thanks for posting Barry. I agree with Scott that the new owner must be alot bigger than me lol (5'10, 150#). Reminds me of a trip to J-Bay in 2008 (was there for work) when the only kneeboard I could find to borrow was a 6'3" x 24" x 3" !!! But, I actually got to surf OH J-Bay 8)
BSD

Post by BSD »

Yeah, it's a big board for a big guy. Older guy who wants to still get out in the water during his older years. Wanted all the bells and whistles. That's why so much going on there. Custom blank, three different templates combined, 6Oz. Volan fiberglass, knee patches, Pinline.

But he got what he wanted. That's job #1 in my book.