Big guy small board

Use this area to post info on new boards or looking for a new shape. Not a design forum though...

Moderator: Moderator

Berserker
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Big guy small board

Post by Berserker »

Hola
I'm a big guy(6'2",240) and new to kneeboarding. I just bought a used kneeboard( it's in Hawaii) but am concerned its probably too small 5'7",23 1/4', 2 1/2). I have a messed up shoulder,so I want to be able to kick into waves more to save it. I don't mind taking off late, I kick into waves almost exclusively when I body surf. I also figured that if I could ride drop knee on a body board, I could probably make it work with a smaller kneeboard,at least until I could get a longer one shaped. Thoughts anyone?
gumby
Legend (Contribution King!)

Re: Big guy small board

Post by gumby »

Welcome to KSUSA If your board is in Hawaii I hope you are too. That board size is not to small if you are going after steep and deep. What type of wave are you going after?
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
joe

Post by joe »

Welcome to Kneeboard surfing Berserker. Enjoy the ride. There are lots of opinions on the proper board size and volume. As Gumby mentioned, that board could work for you in quality surf, but may not be ideal. More length and volume will help you get into more waves and help carry you through the slow sections. I'm at bit smaller at 160# and that board is smaller than most of mine. In my opinion, a good starting point for you would be at least 6'0" long with much more volume.

You might check out this thread for a debate on board size and volume. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6700
Berserker

Post by Berserker »

I'll be in Hilo on Tuesday. The closest break is honolii, but there are slabs close by.Wave wise,I have no preference. I take what nature gives me . I also ride a variety of wave vehicles and body surf. I found the short board used. I have strong legs and like kicking into waves, I always have on my short boards too. Maybe I'll start dieting and make up some of that volume difference:)
Hopefully my 4x4 is on point:) Soo,do you think I'll have trouble catching waves, or just bog down once I'm up?
Berserker

Post by Berserker »

Thanks for the replies:)
Scott

Post by Scott »

Hi Berserker. Regarding your question about catching waves and/or bogging down. If you have decent leg strength and can keep the board flat on the surface while you kick into waves, you should be able to get plenty with a board of your listed dimensions (granted that once you catch the wave you often have to turn the board slightly sideways to negotiate a steep drop). However, at a weight of 240lbs. with a 5'7" and only 2 1/2" thick you may have some difficulty of it bogging down, especially if you simply sit passively in the middle of the board. A board about 6'3" or bigger for you, maybe 24" wide and 2 3/4 or 3" thick would be more ideal for you to keep up and planing with ease. That just an ideal--it's tough to find modern larger kneeboards just laying around for you try. However, if you watch videos online about kneeboarding, you will see that guys sitting slightly further back can learn to pump their kneeboards just like stand up surfers do, and this ability to actively and athletically keep your board moving around on the surface of the wave will help you avoid bogging. And that can be done on your current board with its somewhat smaller dimensions. You might go onto legless.tv and check out videos of Chayne, Albert, Simon and others there and take in their fine technique.

Let us know how it goes for you. You're also welcome to discuss more of this with me personally, if you would like: spjk5@yahoo.com. I think you'll really enjoy this fascinating way to surf once you get used to the way the board and the wave want to naturally interact. And you can tubed off your can quite a bit!
I'm not influenced by the past; I change it!
Berserker

Post by Berserker »

Hey. Rode it yesterday. No problems at all. After my first wave(I took off too deep,and got hung up in the lip) it was all easy. Only missed a couple of waves, I don't have to take off deep at all. No problem making sections and riding it into the reform. Had some difficulty making snappy turns at first(after my bottom turn felt like I was just locked on to the wave face on the stiffest board ever) but realized,with a little experimentation,that knee placement and body mechanics,I can throw some pretty good spray with super tight turns. People in the the line up loved it too , the older guys seemed stoked and the younger guys had lots of questions. Had enough fun and saw enough possibilities that I'm going to keep doing it. When paddling in, I used almost more of a surf mat technique,I was a little farther back on the board,took a few strokes with my arms,and finished it with my legs,worked great. Honestly,with my shoulder being suspect,I'm not sure I would want a longer board. It seemed just at the edge of me being able to really use my legs as much as I did.
Berserker

Post by Berserker »

Okay, after a couple of days I will say this,the paddle out is slow.it is super easy to duck dive though lol.