spain portugal or morocco?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

spain portugal or morocco?

Post by gogglefog »

boys,
i'll be in sevilla, spain on business for the month of september.
does anyone know of any breaks in southern portugal that i can drive to on weekends from sevilla?
also, i'll be taking a month of vacation in conjunction with my trip as i understand october is prime time for europe. anyone ever been to morocco? how does it compare with spain and portugal?
thanks
Kauaikneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Kauaikneelo »

check wannasurf.com for spots, pm malaga for info
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
Marky V
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Marky V »

Loads of breaks in southern Portugal, also around Cadiz in Spain (better in winter I believe)
Morocco in October should be awsome, but so is th e west coast of Portugal if you like a bit of size and cool water. Wannasurf is a good source, as would be stormriders guide to europe book.
cheers
Mark
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

thanks for the info guys.
portugal looks like it may be the call. i like the cold water and don't mind good size waves...if they're clean.
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Hey Goggle, I haven't surfed Spain, but went from there to Fez, Morroco. Sign up for a few day trip at a travel agency in Spain. I cannot read Arabic, so I would never be able to drive there. Bunch of squiggly lines, and backwards written.
Don't know where to surf, but go to the market (medina) in Fez. It's amazing. You will get "rubberneck sprain." Everything is amazing to look at, it's just like it was 800 years ago. Walk down the narrow street about 4 feet wide, then see a camel herder come cruising through with a train 20 camels long, hehehe. Get out of the way though!
You go in a little tourist bus, stay at a nice hotel, have GREAT mint tea, WOW I loved it! :!: :D
Last edited by Mike Fernandez on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Iñigo

North of Spain

Post by Iñigo »

Hello Googlefog
Let me tell you all the options have a good chance:

Canary islands: Good water temperature and good sweels and many brakes.

South of Portugal: I have not surfed it but I have heard there are some good spots. Perhaps more in the North part of Portugal. Cheaper than Spain.

Morocco: Really good Rights. There are some surfcamps in the South. Exotic and cheaper than Spain or Portugal

Basque Country: This is were I live. Beach breaks as Mundaka, Zarautz,Sopelana, Hossegord (South of France) Lacnou ( South of France), and a really good Month, water in 18 - 20 degrees and surelly many sweels coming from the Atlantic. If you come through here PM me.

Do not travel to the Mediterranean very little to do there ( in respect to surf).
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

muchas gracias inigo,
if you're from the basque region you may know bruce smith from mundaka. i've known him a few years now as we travel to chile around the same time every year.
i might come up that way now that i have two contacts.
will i need a car to get around the basque country or is there a good bus system?

thanks, john
crox

Post by crox »

Hey Inigo

Karl Ward from Cornwall UK is coming to live in Santander for up to a year. He will be coming down at the end of June........Just making some suitable boards for him! :D ....hope also to visit him down there this summer.
TIMO

Post by TIMO »

G'day Gogglefrog
I surfed in morocco back in the early 90's. We surfed most of the coast but the standout would have to be the Taghazout area not far from Agadir.
It has 2 great spots Anchor piont a right hander that can hold some big swells and Killer piont which on the right day will break right thru to wells and mystery piont, some people saying it was much like Bells beach in OZ??(I've never been to Bells!) But I do remember the waves being of excellent quality. I have a picture somewhere of the whole set up , 4 pictures joined together, a nice long ride. The water is very cold but the locals are the nicest in the world and the food is awsome. Some people we met flew in to Agadir and got lodgings at Taghzout very cheep.
If I ever go back to europe to surf, morocco will be number 1 on my list for sure.
goodluck
ps English, arabic and french are the langauges
cheers Timo
cheers Timo
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

thanks for the info TIMO.
how did you get around in Morocco? Is there a bus system?
thanks again to everyone.
TIMO

Post by TIMO »

Gogglefrog
We had a kombi van that we bought in the UK, but alot of Brits were travelling up on a bus that came from Agadir to Taghazout (20kms North) and would organise lodgings once they got there. Some of them would wait in the UK on stand-by and travel for next to nothing once a seat became avalible on the plane. Surf for the weekend and back for work Monday morning. :shock:
I've heard that it is alot more organised for surfers over there now , so I would expect a hassle free trip.
Check out this site for more info.
http://www.nomadsurfers.com/English/Mor ... r.htm#surf
cheers
Timo
cheers Timo
Richard Hewitt

Post by Richard Hewitt »

My ten pence worth - Southern Portugal and Spain can get good waves but don’t generally get as much swell as the West facing Atlantic coast of Portugal and Northern Spain (but is a lot closer to Sevilla)
Morocco is a winter favourite with the Brits as it's cheap and the waters warm, as Timo said some great point breaks.
I've surfed around Ericeira and Peniche (just north of Lisbon), loads of good breaks and pretty friendly vibe (Peniche breaks can get crowded).

Inigo can give the low down on northern Spain, I've been to the Canaries a few times, the waves are fickle and lots of breaks suffer from attitude.

September is often a great month for surfing, the waters still warm after the summer and Atlantic depressions are starting to fire up a bit, last trip to Ericeira the swell was 12 -15 ft when I got there, a 950 mb depression mid-Atlantic.
curlykneelo

Peniche / Portugul

Post by curlykneelo »

In the early 80's we stopped in a small sleepy town of Peniche . It was really out of the way , we even had a hard time finding anybody who spoke english . Originally we had planned on staying a few miles north but because of a lack of surf shops the locals at the time worked a lot on the self service principle , so after paying our dues we left the camping ground and tried the B+B at Peniche . Trying to make a claim on the travel insurance was impossible because nobody at the cop shop spoke english .
Paddled out at Peniche and after a few waves found there was a reef . The water temp is way down so take a wetsuit even in summer . This was 25 years ago but I'd love to go back again.
Cripple Crusader

Post by Cripple Crusader »

sitting in Agadir in Morocco right now!!!!

bored out of my mind - no surf, ugly chicks by the pool and there is not a lot to do or see when it is flat.

drove down from Marrakech yesterday... interesting to say the least, but not the worst place in the world for driving..... distances aren't too far, but take a while as they are narrow winding roads.

Did the whole stretch from Agadir to Tamri this morning and nothing to ride!!!! Not looking too good for tomorrow..... might head south for a look, but head some dodgy things about heading south!!!

Managed to get pulled over by the police for not coming to a DEAD stop at a road block....... at least thats what i think..... not speaking a word of French paid off.... think he was about to issue a ticket, but when he figured i had no idea what he was talking about he let me off.... at least i think he did!!!!

Well, me hopes there should be some swell coming in on thursday, but don't think it is going to light the points up like i had hoped for!!!!

As for travel options... i'd go for the Basque contry.... cracking surf and stuff to see/do on the off days!!!
On your knees, if you please
Iñigo

Post by Iñigo »

It is always better not to depend of buses or trains but if you come to the north you have many possibilities.
Besides waves many things to do if it is flat ( Overall "Fiestas" and Celebrations in many villages. But normally the end of Augost, September and October used to be the best months in this part of the world.
If come throgh here get in contact and surelly some days we can surf together.
Crox and Karl the same goes for you. Really wanting to have kneelos around.