sayulita advice

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

AM_Glass
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

sayulita advice

Post by AM_Glass »

Does anyone have any suggestions for sayulita, mexico at the end of March? It will be a w/ wife, 1 week vacation and although I'd like to spend the whole time in a tent on the beach or on the road chaising waves, we're looking for something alittle mellower and nicer than that. Clean and simple is really all it has to be (and around $50-100 /night.)

I know that this will be between seasons, and I know that this is "Spring Break" but it's the only time we can both get off. We'd like to avoid the party crowd and I'd be happy enough with 2ft beach break to surf in. As long as there is a sandy beach break for us to body surf at,we'll be happy.

Also, if I'm missing the mark w/ sayulita feel free to point me in the right direction.
It could be worse, I could be in Oakla-homa.
SouthernTim
Local (More than 25 post)

Sayulita

Post by SouthernTim »

Hey, we're taking a family vacation to Sayulita in mid February, so I'll be able to report back when we return. We're actually three families, totaling 7 adults and 6 kids from 1.5 to 6yrs old, so we're likely looking at different accomodations!

FWIW though, we are renting houses for the week, and as I recall from my searches, there are some 1-2 bedroom smaller houses that were pretty cheap, especially for a week's rental. Try:

http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation ... Coast.html

http://www.sayulitalife.com/1bedroom.htm

http://sayulita.com/lodging.html

All of those sites list rental properties, and we found ours that way.

However, 4 of the adults are there to surf or kneeboard, so I'll be able to report on the various options for waves.

Good luck, and remind me after 2/21/07 to let you know what we found as far as different breaks.

T
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hello,

I think this topic has come up before... You may want to do a search on the topic... maybe keyword 'Vallarta?'

Sayulita is a beautiful spot. I heard it's getting pretty crowded. IMHO, there are better kneelo waves around...

That said, I've stayed in San Pancho, just North of Sayulita, at Costa Azul Resort. For $$, you can hop a boat or be taken by car to spots South/North. There's a left-hander at the rivermouth that is OK.

Surf-wise... Punta de Mita has a lot to offer. There was an insane package at the World's from one of our own that has a place down there. Hope he chimes in on this...

There's a Four Seasons out there as well (for $$$)

Punta de Mita, Sayulita, Costa Azul are all potentially home base. Check out the Costa Azul site to compare family activities. But check out wannasurf.com for some idea of spots and when they work.

End of March? That's tough in terms of hedging your bets towards NW or SW swells. I think I'd lean more towards NW...

Have fun!
SouthernTim

Back from Saylulita

Post by SouthernTim »

Hey Glass:

If you're still interested in Sayulita for the end of March, throw me a pm.

We just got back last week and I can update you on Sayulita, and the breaks on Punta Mita.

T
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hello ST... without naming spots and all, how was it?

Since I last looked at this thread, I read there's a really nice (and $$$) hotel at the old Gov's house on top of San Pancho/SF. Did you check that out, for cocktails maybe?
AM_Glass

Post by AM_Glass »

After the multi-page write up in the SF Chronical about this place and how great it is for the whole family and all, we decided to skip it. We are pushing our trip further to the middle of summer-ish, and would expect less crowds, but still not a very cultural experience. I've got my wife convinced Puerto Escondido is a better bet for us (I know it is surf wise!) and I'm researching it now.
It could be worse, I could be in Oakla-homa.
SouthernTim

Hell, I'll name spots!

Post by SouthernTim »

It was a great trip, big success all around. However, it was a combo family/surf trip.

There were 3 families making 7 adults and 6 kids between 1.5 and 5.5yrs. We rented 3 houses in Sayulita within 1.5 blocks of each other and 1 block off the beach. One with a pool, one with a walled in, shaded yard, and one with a rockin' rooftop palapa.

It was our first trip to that part of Mexico, and considering the kids, we wanted somewhere with a traveler presence and that's what we got. We loved that part of the country, and will go back, but next time to a smaller town. Probably Chacala up the coast 40km or so.

As for waves, we surfed the rivermouth left almost every day and it was OK, some days better than others. The swell went from NNW, to SW, to NW while we were there, and the Sayulita cove got pretty churny with the crossed up swell direction. Really thumping beach break on the north side of the river.

We rented a panga and went down to Punta de Mita twice. Got skunked once and did pretty well the other time. We surfed this small point just NW of El Faro that our driver called La Bahia for a while, but it was really inconsistent. The 2nd time out, we caught El Faro, which is a classic right point break, at mid-outgoing tide and 4' or so for about 2 hours with just me and my 2 buds out. Great session, then in about 10 minutes, three other boats showed up, the waves got smaller and we ditched. That spot would be really kickin' in the right conditions though. On a big enough swell, you connect the outside to the inside by threading between these two big-ass rocks. Pretty funny, you could choose to stay in the pocket and charge right by the rock on the right, but a fall would hurt, or split the difference and hustle to make the shoulder again after the rocks.

We didn't get up to San Pancho, although we thought about it. Easy to get to on the road or by boat. Sorry, our cocktails were beers after the kids were in bed each night!

All in all a good time. The families had a good time, we got some waves and had fantastic weather. Good times for what we were looking for.

T
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

AM_G, that's where I read about the Gov's place getting the overhaul.

It's a good non-surf-related article for those interested. Check out www.sfgate.com and do a search...

Thanks for the update, ST!
gregw
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by gregw »

Check it out
www.luxurysurf.com