Pavones 6/16 - 6/30 (got a board question)

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

ocean7847
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Pavones 6/16 - 6/30 (got a board question)

Post by ocean7847 »

Going to costa rica (yes, the touristy central american country) because I'm going to pavones, where I've never been but have heard good things. Going with a standup buddy of mine and we'll be all over the country, but we're certainly spending time at pavones. He's leading me around as he has the place wired and knows a bunch of people.

Anyone kneeloed it before? what kind of wave is it (besides ridiculously long left point, which yes, i've heard before).

i'll be bringing two boards - one standup and one kneeboard. Thinking about bringing a parkes quad, but not sure if thats the wrong board. What kind of board would you bring with you down there.

I am very stoked to go, i've been watching that youtube clip imagining myself in a warm water barrel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv_OKSmoWyM

thanks for any tips
Greg Little

Post by Greg Little »

Ocean,
Iv'e been down there along time ago. 15 years +. I'm sure the waves are the same, but I here the the small village is now a town. Depending on the swell angle, it can be a fun skatepark like wave with some hollow sections. And not to metion, you can ride this wave for ever. At the time I was riding a 6'0 swallow tail. It worked great. Back then there was only a bar with four rooms above it to rent, and when the waves were on you would ride them for amost a mile. Get out walk back up the point and have a shot of the local booze (quaro) and then paddle back out. If you caught 5 waves you had a GREAT session. One wave at Pavones is like 20 waves at home.
Greg
A.K.A.
NIPPLES
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

When are we going Greg? :D
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

ok, i guess i'll check swell before making a final board decision. i wanted to bring a kneeboard because i figure those left barrels for so long would be great on a relaxed kneelo session after standup for so long. it'll work out i hope. any other kneelos in Costa that time??
skansand

Post by skansand »

quaro = sugarcane + nitroglycerin? According to Robert August..... one day ill get down to Costa Rica and ride Salsa Brava (brave sauce)....the Gnarly slab on the east-coast... i recomend reading "in search of captain zero" by Alan C weisbecker......
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I read that a few years ago Matt, what a trip huh :lol:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

STayed at Pavones for a week in 1986. It's like 4 Malibu's in line going left. Aim for a low tide too. There were six guys there besides us ....I think it is a little more crowded now...Low tide and double overhead and :!: :idea: :arrow:
gene west

pavones

Post by gene west »

ocean- I've been down there a few times-I reccomend a fish...quadfin if possible...the wave is so long and with a quad you'll get extra speed out of it when you pump down the wall...low tide it gets very fast and hollow....enjoy!!!!
geno
evans
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by evans »

I'm going back down there in July. Pavones is super fun, and super crowded when there is swell. There is a hollow section that no one makes by the river mouth and is a good place to hang out and cherrypick when it is crowded. Cheers
skansand

Post by skansand »

mike-
His other book "cosmic banditos" is the BIGGEST trip.. i hear hes due to release a new book too...

they almost made "in search of captain zero" a movie starring sean penn...but i dont know what happened...
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Reed - I think you already have the ultimate tool!!!
Mark Ramirez

Pavones

Post by Mark Ramirez »

Ocean, Pavones is a left pointbreak that when all the sections connect together, it is one of the longest waves on the planet. Imagine surfing a wave until your body is so tired it hurts....well, that's Pavones. These are waves that require fast surf along a wall, so you are not going to be doing too may cutbacks, you'll be accelerating all the time. The wave needs big south swells and can be ridden at a mid tide rising, the wave opens up more. It can hold up to 15' faces, But everyone surfs here when it's on so, it gets very crowded._________Mark.
Greg Little

Post by Greg Little »

Matt
So that explains why my shot glass popped :shock: when I put a flame to it. :lol: Went to La Salsa Brava to, it is a super fickle wave, and only breaks a few times a year. But the local rastas are are very hospitable (wink, wink)
And Mike
I'm not going to Costa anytime soon, its TOO CROWDED :cry: My next trip is in August, to a secret spot. I think you and Backer might see me :lol:
Then its off to Phillip Island, or salvador in september. I'm not sure were yet.
Greg
A.K.A.
NIPPLES
stemple

Post by stemple »

If Pavones is anything like the long points in Peru, I think Mark is onto the right type of board. I tried short fatter vs longer and narrow boards in those types of waves. Faster is better was my conclusion, sometimes you need to pump and go to make a section on these long point waves. Its sucks to miss the section and watch the wave peel for another 300 yards!!. I would take your fastest down the line board. It may paddle better too for those long paddles back up.