Phil Curtiss is Tonga bound

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Jon Manss
Legend (Contribution King!)

Phil Curtiss is Tonga bound

Post by Jon Manss »

Phil has asked me to let the gang know he will miss the next few contest and will miss all of you. He has been accepted into the Peace Corp and will ship out to Tonga in October. He is not only a master waterman he also is quite the humanitarian. He will be putting his recently retired teaching skills to good use for the Tongans. If you would like to say goodbuy or if you may want to connect up with him out there, use this thread. Phil is old school when it comes to the web, but I will make sure he get's all your messages. Jon
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

class act

Post by frankfqr »

See if he has anymore mav's pics he could share before departure, he might need help with scanning...best wishes to a class act!!!!!!!
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

i could use about 10 kg's of kava tonga and while he is at it look for a new wife for me too :lol: one that has been a woman all her life please :P I could also use a new kumete and some nice tapa cloth too!
na'a ke ako lea i faka tonga?
na'a ke nofo i fe felipo? i nuku alofa?
'ofa pe yo ku kai hoosi? :twisted:
Tau inu kava tamasi'i !

malo lelei
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
ivandill
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by ivandill »

Buen viaje Phil
Staying at your house with the rest of my crew ,a couple of year ago.
Remenber,all the pictures on the wall,mav,the huge secret spot,que cojones,from such a humble teacher.
Another lesson
Respeto

gracias por todo buen viaje

Ivan
PR
VANCHEE
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Safe journeys! Keep us in the loop, and we'll do the same.

We'll try to not trash the joint while you're gone!

All the best,
SFK
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

Good luck Phil and good onya for volunteering! Young guys take note, it's one world we're sharing.

Safe journies and hopefully you get to take a kneeboard along.
:D
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Chris Buscemi

Ha'atafu Beach Resort

Post by Chris Buscemi »

Head to Ha'atafu Beach Resort and hook up with Steve Burling. He's been in Tonga for 30 years or so and has the place wired. If the right swell is running head out with Steve to E.T.'s for some right hand reef pass magic. Bring at least a spring suit and be prepared to get well aquainted witht the reef. I know Steve used to kneeboard but when I was there last with my Dad, October of 2000, Steve was sticking to stand up surfing. His immediate and extended family are awesome and all of his children rip. My dad has been to Tonga a bunch of times and swears by the place.

if you really want to see some hard core hand line fishing go fishing one afternoon with Steve and his crew. You'll be blown away.

Have fun and check out the link below.

http://surfingtonga.com/
If I say its safe to surf this beach Captain, then its safe to surf this beach. I mean I'm not afraid to surf this place, I'll surf this whole f@cking place!
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

stock up
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

Dr. Bronner

Post by Dr. Bronner »

Real cool little clip there!! Thanks much!
Scott

Post by Scott »

Phil, thrilled for what you're embarking on. You'll make a difference, I'm sure, and have some great stories to tell upon your return. I hope you inspire some of your former students!

BTW, can I borrow your 6'8" while you're gone???? 8)
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

I told Phil of the response from all of you and he checked it out and was stoked. Keep it coming. It also gave me a chance to request again if I could post his short story and he has finally allowed me. Check it out it is very well done.
randiego

Post by randiego »

Jon,

Please tell Phil it was great to see him and get a chance to hang out and get to know him a bit.

Phil came down to San Diego with his son Noah last weekend and took up Bob Gove on his offer to stay at the trailer in Rosarito. We all surfed in the early morning Saturday and got great waves, and then Bob and his whole crew had to go back.

Jenny and I hung out with Phil and Noah that day, showed them around a bit, had some food, and then decided to hang at the beach break near Bob's trailer, enjoy the sun and have a beer. There was thousands of locals on the beach - it was 100 degrees that day - but nobody out in the water. About 2pm, it suddenly glassed off (that's rare there) and Phil and I grabbed our boards and paddled out, not really expecting much.

We ended up enjoying a couple hours of shoulder high grinding shorebreak barrels, just the two of us. We were both pretty stoked - it was our second amazing session that day. We all ended the day over Carnitas and beers, and Jenny and I headed back.

Phil was just as advertised in the things I've read. Low key amd humble, and a great guy to have a conversation with. He stoked my interest in paddleboarding, I'm ready to try it!

Definitely a guy that in my mind, fits the title of 'legend'.

Randy