A great west coast fall surf trip

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

sf_firestarter
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

A great west coast fall surf trip

Post by sf_firestarter »

Looking for some suggestions. Any great ideas, past experiences...where should I go?

I've got a week at the end of October for a surf safari. Must be a reasonable distance from SF, CA as I'm not up for spending everyday in the car. An adventure to a less civilized world would be great but quality consistent surf is the objective and first priority. This is 2-3 guy trip and an SUV and tents will be the accomodations.

In the past few years I've done a week in Baja with my father and a friend. Spent a week alone in Mendocino...surfing alone in dark water is not relaxing. And two years ago Big Sur, which was nice. This year looking for something different.
rooster
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by rooster »

How about Oregon or Washington state, you are already used to cold water, and the San Juan islands have surf. :lol:
K-man

Post by K-man »

Sonoma co.and north.Rugged coastline.heaps of good surf spots,coupled with great camp spots.Summer crowds are gone!!.Plenty of online references to surf spots up there,complete with what works on what swells.
Do your homework,guaranteed you'll be stoked.,and less than 5 hrs from SF.

cheers
Dr. Bronner
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Dr. Bronner »

Will you supply a SHARK cage? :shock:
mike schmaeling

Post by mike schmaeling »

Jalama can be really good during the fall.

Mike
NCountyKneelo

Post by NCountyKneelo »

With quality surf as the priority, you might try San Elijo or South Carlsbad as your camping hub and then hit the major breaks of SD county during the weekdays. If it is purely a surf trip you can get in the water at Crack O' each day at probably 10 or so different spots depending on if that week happens to be a South or a North. And then during the afternoon Ciesta, take a look out in front of either of these campgrounds because when the swell is right, it can get really fun. And, if you Blog ahead, you can probably hook up with a local kneelo at the major spots most any day of the week.
stemple

Post by stemple »

read about a surf camp in northern vancouver island mid october is the prime season. cold water but i here it can get very good.
sf_firestarter

Post by sf_firestarter »

thanks for all the suggestions.

Surfhorn gave me some great suggestions complete with itinerary for a trip from SF to Jalama.

Does anyone have any specifics on a great North Coast trip. Considering the time frame and with a single destination we could spend at least 5 nights.

Maybe I'll have to do a north coast and south coast trip!!!!
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

tickets to New Zealand are going as low as $399 round trip right now. there ya go! go and wait there till the 2009 worlds

Beeline, i can almost gauranty that bruce will be at the worlds in 2009 Image
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
sf_firestarter

the different perspective

Post by sf_firestarter »

This is from one of my buddies that will be going," How come knee boarders don't tell one another to f@#& off when requests like yours are posted? "If you gotta ask, don't go!"

My response was, "Because unlike surfers we're actually cool guys that are willing to share some knowledge with others. It"s an enlightening perspective isn't it?"

8)
monkey boy
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by monkey boy »

seaside point oregon...... that should please the shotgun toting meth fuelled locals!

I live further north but depends how much time you want to drive.

Oregon and Washington could be fun (I've really enjoyed surfing oregon but can get too stormy later in the year - exposed) ....Juan de Fuca (Wash and BC) may be have some good waves at that time of year, specially towards the western breaks (do not bother with San Juans/ Whidbey Is if you want consistency), but can be pretty hit and miss (great when it's hit not so great when it's miss!!)... also crowds at weekends (some dicks) on south VI. Tofino usually has waves, but will take you prob 2 days to get to. The surf camp someone mentioned on northern VI is meant to know some great breaks but long drive and muchos dollaris

you mention "surfing alone in dark water is not relaxing" ...........so maybe going south is better.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

In our drug-induced euphoria, we are easy to please :!:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
monkey boy

Post by monkey boy »

so jerry is the point as good and as bad as they say. I've been filled with the fear about the lcalism there! Everywhere else I've surfed in oregon I've had really good experiences with folks in the surf.... v friendly in my experience.
sf_firestarter

Post by sf_firestarter »

you mention "surfing alone in dark water is not relaxing" ...........so maybe going south is better.
that's why I'm bringing bait, I mean friends.
sf_firestarter

Post by sf_firestarter »

Heading south to Jalama Oct 27- Nov4.

Looks like the first half will be solo as my friends are lame.

New board should be here next week.

I can't wait.