Cook Islands - Rarotonga

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Cripple Crusader
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Cook Islands - Rarotonga

Post by Cripple Crusader »

Greetings.... off to the Cook Islands over New Years.... anybody got any info on surf or otherwise?
On your knees, if you please
ross
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ross »

cc,
cook islands is worth a visit.surfwise it's average though.surfed there in 97',i was supposed to be there a month and lasted just over two weeks.
shallowest coral reefs i've ever surfed(think one palm) and a healthy urchin population to add to the fun.the coral in this island group is quite young so the passes are narrow and often closeout.
if you are going there to surf, i'd go somewhere else. :wink:
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

I lived there for a few monts back in '87

The previous advice was pretty spot on.

If you want surf go to French Polynesia. Even though there is surf but what i saw was really shallow out by Nikao airport.

The handicrafts are excellent and much cheaper than in French Polynesia. I bought an excellent tight weaved hat when i was there

Go to church on Sunday and listen to the incredible choir singing!!Unbelievable! Peter Gabriel Real World type stuff.

You'll get a real taste of the local culture and maybe you'll get invited to lunch!! Just don't go too casual to church. Long pants nice shirt etc..

Aitutaki is worth the trip!!
Cripple Crusader

Howzit Ross............... shot for the info...... will pack the brain-bucket and booties if it's super shallow...... going there as got a free stop-over on the way to Aus... surf will be a bonus.

Alfredo... heard about the church services.... sound awesome... will make a stop at one..... heard the nightlife can be pretty good too!!!! Got to figure if the budget will stretch to an Aitutaki trip.
jamie

Post by jamie »

Hey pete,
I went to Cooks twice in the 90's.
The first time i met up with Pete Maclure who stayed for a couple of weeks, while my stay was a couple of days on our way to Canada.
We score good waves at the main big wave pass, with a local guy called Dave. Dave used to own half of a resort on the lagoon, and would ride a kneelo when it got over 6 - 8 foot. I think this pass was called Av'aAvarua.
Its a short ride but pretty intense barrel, save some energy for the paddle in as its a high tide only break so you tend to paddle in against the tide.
The other break which is better known and easy to find is Airports - guess where it is? The 747's practically part your hair as they come in to land.
As Ross said this is super shallow, there is no reef pass and it generally ends on dry reef - so as i remeber you take off and get barelled then as you accelarate thru the barrel you get off by either going faster than the tube or by pulling thru the back.
Its sketchy but fun at 2-4 feet - never surfed it bigger but guess you would choose your waves carefully.

Sundays can be full on - and the sabbath is generally observed by all - surfing was not cool back then - so unless thing have changed do by stealth or pass till Monday.
Sunday lunch is all time lots of fish, salads and taro.
Best tip grab a rental motor scooter and learn to ride with your board under your butt, the island is about 25 minutes roundtrip I think, so best to check surf as tide is about to turn then guess which board( take something that likes fast tubes!) you will need as swell can come up with tide.

Wind can blow for days and some how everything looks onshore or breaking on dry reef - take some good books, snorkel and learn to play golf.
Jamie
Cripple Crusader

Cheers Jamie