Hiking to surf

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

ocean7847
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Re: post

Post by ocean7847 »

Seriously, on some of the hikes we do in these parts, that
and lot's and lot's of water. I've practically died from climbing back up
some of the steeper trails in the summertime and running out of
hydration on the way out.

100 degrees, no shade, and 400' still to go - straight up!! :cry:

ooooooooooooooh i'm so tempted to name drop! :D

i love hiking in to surf, i think its probably one of the best things about surfing. pulling into a parking lot, jamming out across the 30 yards of sand and scoring waves can be fun, but its like nailing a prostitute (not any first hand experience to speak of, but). you get in, you get yours, you get the fudge out. when you hike in its like you're actually working for it, wining and dining mother ocean, if you will.

since moving to socal i've been bummed about the places you "hike in" to go surf. if any of you guys up in the north LA county area want to know about a great "shortcut" to hiking in to ***** ****, i'll spill the beans. i've been hopping fences in that neighborhood since my first day in town. i got lost, had to swin UNDER a fence that went across a creek, ended up 3 miles from my car, but i found the way in.
Smokin Rock
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Smokin Rock »

almost every spot here requires a hike or 4x4. if you can hook up with the right swell direction and favorable winds the surf can be awesome at Waimanu valley.
http://hawaiirama.com/2006/07/flickrsrc ... amacomwaim
it takes about 6+ hours to get there but sooo worth it even if the surf is so-so. catch it on and you won't want to leave. year round water and fruit. (have to treat the water)
my problem now is my right knee (post acl recon) swells up pretty fierce with 80lbs of pack and board on my back. with no ice available makes it painful to surf once i get there. getting old sucks.
i have no worries outing this spot cuz if you can fly over here and drag your ass over the palis you absolutely deserve to score. the surf is so fickle and the spots so sharky and remote it'll never have a crowd.
if the stars align you'll have reef to beachbreak barrels so round it seems God made them for kneeboarding. 8)
for me hiking to a remote spot is the essence of surfing.
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head
T Hall
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by T Hall »

I'm not even going to think about spilling the beans on my favorite hike in spot. I've been fortunate enough to have it to myself for twenty some odd years because I didn't bring anyone, and didn't tell anyone.
But all good things come to an end as our sacred stomping grounds have just been handed over to the state parks and will soon be open to the public. Roads, bathrooms, parking lots, camping and hiking trails are being constructed as I write this. I am truly grateful for all of the years of solitude right under everyones noses but it's gonna suck to see this cool desolate area become over run with crowds, noise, litter and all the bad things that the masses bring................. Still better than condos. ...............Later, T Hall.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

Yeah we used to have a place like that too it was called "upper and lower trestles" :? then they put in a carls jr with a big parking lot. then someone got the bright idea to pave a trail directly to the break :cry: The crowds are terrible and I havent been back since :evil:
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
ocean7847

Post by ocean7847 »

T Hall wrote:Still better than condos. ...............Later, T Hall.

i hear that! for some reason, the only thing people want to develop in LJ and San Diego are big, heartless, apartment buildings. UTC La Jolla is a sh!t hole because of it. all the people i know from back east move out to that area because all the apartment buildings remind them of being on the east coast. why the hell are we trying to replicate the feel of the east coast?

bah, sorry about the rant, but i'd rather have a state park versus land development.

for san diegans - how about the wetlands near the del mar incline, being flattened and setup for - surprise - more condos! like we need MORE condos and fewer wetlands. i can't wait till i'm an attorney.
Headwax.

Post by Headwax. »

[albumimg]7013[/albumimg]

eight mins walk from house to the break

hike back out adds a little longer :)

other place round here you hike half an hour down a nine mile beach and some twit in a four wheeldrive will pull up and paddle out cause you look lonely sitting by yourself :(

interesting cause you see the same guys at different breaks trying to get away from the crowds.... we have a kind of club, the loners club, in a way w'ere like park bench people .....

we won't paddle out where the other guy is, we'll leave him on his lonesome even if we have to surf an inferior break...

"don't crowd us in" would be our motto if we had one