Traveling to Puerto Vallarta

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Bill Stewart
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Traveling to Puerto Vallarta

Post by Bill Stewart »

Looking to be in PV first week in July. Has anyone surfed the area of Punta Mita?. My family and I will be staying in the Nuevo Vallarta resort area and looking for info on the area and best surf spots along Punta Mita or surrounding areas.

Thanks

Bill
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hey there,
A friend of mine helped open the Costa Azul resort in San Francisco (slighly north of Sayulita.) I've been there three times. Check all the reports, of course. Each gives perspective. Surfer's Travel Reports are good. You'll want that, and current weather info, as there's possibilities North and South of you.
Between Sayulita and Costa Azul (San Francisco,) is a left-hander called 'Echeveria's,' after the former Mexican President who had a place there. It's a long walk from Sayulita. It may be easier to taxi/drive.
It's more punchy that Sayulita, and usually picks up more swell than just about any other spot in the area. High tide will yield better shaped waves, but it can also have backwash. A lot of the potential depends on whether the estuary in front of the break is open or not. If it's open, water quality can be questionable, but the shape is better.
If a solid swell is in town, make the trek up to Santa Cruz. A bit further up is Matachen Bay (right,) and Aticama (left off South end of bay.) Between all of those, Santa Cruz is the best kneelo wave. Hollow and long.
Punta Mita? If there's surf, there's all sorts of spots on the point. You can hook up with Sayulita, or possibly Costa Azul folks to boat you into the harder to reach spots.
One trick I saw successfully pulled off was a bunch of Santa Cruz longboarders that tracked Southern Hemi activity and booked their trip
about a week in advance. They may have paid more, but they definitely
scored with us (who lucked out...) If you have that type of flexibility, you'll be rewarded.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Oh... John. You're right about E's report.
He went off today on the Ft. Point closure.

Meanwhile, I scooted down to Pleasure Point and got some fun waves!
Don
Admin

Careful w/ your posts Bob...

Post by Don »

Bob,

Careful w/ your full disclosure on your daily surf logs...

If you wife ever logs on to this site and reads about your "scootings" it'll make for some interesting reading by the rest of us!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don Harris