Peru

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

stemple
Legend (Contribution King!)

Peru

Post by stemple »

As the season closes down for us SF folks (though by this weeks standards you wouldn't know it) I was wondering and wandering around on the web.

I saw some info on Peru and checked flight costs

LA or SF to Lima - $504 rt not much more than traveling to Hawaii

My guess is it that is pretty cheap once your there. Anybody been? Would you recommend it? sounds like an fun adventure.
gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by gogglefog »

Peru gets really good waves and is extremely cheap. However, it does get crowded. My advice is to either go way north of Lima or way south of it. Most breaks around there are polluted and usually just big walls with no tubes. There are exceptions such as La Herradura.

I go to South America every year for a month.

I now go straight to Chile. It's well worth the extra expense for airfare and really not that much more expensive than the third world countries in South America. It's safe and you don't have to worry about getting sick and spending days on the toilet due to dysentary.

What's better is that their bus system is so good you don't have to rent a car.

Oh, and did I mention the left points in central Chile. When I was there in February we had two weeks of absolutely perfect waves and another week of really fun waves. Some of the guys that had been to Indo said it was like a cold water G-land.
Willy Kelly

Post by Willy Kelly »

I was in Peru in 2003 spent a few weeks there surfing the point breaks in northern Peru got the logest waves at Chicama up to two miles no B.S. if you go and the swell gets huge head for Chicama there is about 5 other left hand point breaks in the area that are just as good you might want to have a guide some of the breaks are hard to find and its allways nice to have someone at the car keeping a eye on things :wink: if you need any info pm and I will hook you up 8)

Peace and good waves to all

Willy
Last edited by Willy Kelly on Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
WillP

Post by WillP »

Surfed Punta Rocas for a weeks straight after I graduated from highschool. Super fun waves but lots a people.

Take Willy Kelly's advice. Go to CHILE.
ross

chile is the go

Post by ross »

yes fellas chile is the choice.land of the lefts
punta lobos and pichi lemu are my pick.your paddling techniqe should be in order after battling the sweep on these points! :) but who cares when your getting four tubes and ten reo's on one wave eh? :lol:
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

The current at pichi and lobos is only bad on a south swell - so bad that when it's gets to be only a couple of feet overhead i'll just wait for a different swell direction. Or head south to buchu or rinconada.

on a west pichi and lobos are have more moderate current and on a north the current is non-existent. these swell directions are much better as the waves hit the sand more straight on and bowl and tube more.
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

hey goggle, I was in sitka last year, what a place!!!
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

steenos,
hopefully you came last summer. the sun was out most of the time (which is very rare) and the salmon were going nuts - my freezer is still stocked with fish. surf wasn't too good last summer though.