G-Land

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

farbz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

G-Land

Post by farbz »

Who's been and what am I in for?
I'm going to Bali next year with a group of people and one of the guys is a keen surfer, we've been given the green light to partake in our own G-Land side trip away from the ladies .
It will be in June .
Bud
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Bud »

Have been countless times.
Spending as much as 2 months straight in there.
First went in June of 78.
(Had to do it the hard way. No organized tours back then.)

Been all over the archipeligo.
Still the best of the best when it's "REALLY GOOD".

YOU COULD GET THE WAVES OF YOUR LIFE!

Helpful hint's............
Bobby's Camp is well worth the extra money.
Go when the tides are high during the mid day.
Go even if Bali is flat.........it picks up swell better.
Don't surf until the offshore kicks in.
Don't surf Speed Reef more than 10 minutes after the tide starts to go back out.
At low tide it's better / safer to end your session by paddling in from the top of Money trees (between sets) than to try and straighten out at the end of the wave. There'll be no more water, the lip will beat you and the current along the reef down there wiil roll you over.
farbz

Post by farbz »

Thanks bud,

I will definitely take your addvice.
waka

g-land

Post by waka »

hi farbz
g-land-
the worlds best left hander-well thats what i think!
been there 6 times with lots of great memories.
last time in 1996, and vowed never to go back
why? because there was over 100 guys staying there.
with two camps(bobbies and jo-jos)plus feral campers staying in the jungle, the place has turned into joke.
best trip was the year before- 2 weeks before the Quicky-Pro.
scored 2 swells back to back, and finaly got to surf twenty- twentys, tiger tracks, and another left that breaks where you normaly arrive on the boat.
least amount of people was back in 91- we had 9 guys staying in the camp.
we were sleeping in dome tents- but the food and service was great.
less guys means you dont have to hurry out , it gives you the pleasure to wait for the trades to kickin-normally about 10 am onwards
the wave consist of KONGS -then MONEY TREES-into LAUCHINING PADS , finally SPEEDIES.
but dont expect this perfect 300 m wave- it tends to break in sections
you can take off at outside Kongs, motor your way thru the lava lounge, start fire up into money trees, and onto launching pads.
were the best section is launching pads into the filfthy SPEEDIES section,
mate it will either give you the tube of your life or a flogging to match!
the main trick when surfing there when it is 8 feet plus is be selective with what you take off on .catch a cloesout - and you will enjoy a tour of the reef all the way past speedies, and your mates wont see you for least another hour!
and thats why 100 plus crowd factor comes into play- forcing you to go out or surf when the conditions arnt right.
another trick is to walk up past kongs in morning for the early surf.
the swell is normally bigger up there and wind is offshore because of the curve in the reef
take 3 boards- 5 10 up to 6 10, but pack a smaller board just in case you dont get a smoking swell
the long term guys(they stay up to 2 months straight) normally pack a mal as well for the really small days or take fishing gear as well!
if your lucky you well meet Bommer George a older hawaiin surfer (longtermer) grumpy barsartd, normally keeps to him self, but the guy is a surf gromment ,with 3 surfs a day the norm for him
me i like to go for one long 6 hour surf - straight thru lunch, and then kick back in the arvos to watch the guys go there 2nd surf
speek to dave parkes ,he was there recently, and he imformed how much the accommedation has improved.
but theres more - just getting to the fishing village where you depart for the actual camp, is a sycho trip in itself!
the balo bemo drivers are insane ,and it is said that guys have actualy paid the drivers to slow down, on the way to the ferry!
best of luck farbz
waka
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
farbz

Post by farbz »

Geeze I don't know what to think after all that.

I kind of thought it would be less crowded being a bit of a bitch to get too.
That was my whole reason for going there.

What about Nias?

I don't know how to get there or if it's a logistical nightmare from Bali.

I have been to Bali and west Jave before and to honest Bali ( KUTA) itself wasn't what I'd call paradise.
However I am prepared to give it another ( unbiased ) go.
I was young and drunk.
Now I'm older , wiser and drunker.
waka

g-land

Post by waka »

farbz
sorry if i put the willys in ya about g-land.
still give it a go if you can!
as i said, it is an adventure in itself just getting there, but it is worth going just once.
it is a national park, and just visiting the place is worth the experience.
if you score waves there, it is a bonus.
if you dont, have alook around, enjoy whats on offer, and just relax.
you can do 4 day trips( well i think you still can), and as bud said if it is flat in bali , it will be at least 3 feet bigger there
prime time is june/july, so either side of months is better for crowds
if you hit bali around april or may, check the early on the nusa- dua side.
you could score smoking offshore righthanders, with bugger all crowds, then in the arvo, surf the other side(ulus etc)
best of luck
waka
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
ross

Post by ross »

mate i know how you feel
its hard to get uncrowded waves in indo these days last time i was over there me and a mate decided to trek to an area in the eastern part of indo that at the time was only rumored to have waves.it took three ferry crossings and 40 hours of driving in a kejang to get there.
and the place was packed to the rafters :roll: .
but i still had a ball.
i think maybe you need to have a fair amount of time on your hands to get to uncrowded waves in indo,so i reckon you should just go to G land anyway.its easy to acsess and realisticly alot of guys in the camp are going to be shoulder hoping or spectating if it gets solid :D
alternately i reckon sumbawa(lakey peak) is a great destination,it probably houses about the same amount of surfers as g-land,youve got 4 breaks within 5 minutes (periscopes maybe takes15 min) walk to choose from it'll probably work out cheaper.the reefs are fairly friendly(personally i've never felt the need to wear booties there)and the local crew are pretty cool.
but having said all that its not g land :wink:
damo
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by damo »

check out baliwaves.com