Thailand....help the locals

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

scoop
Legend (Contribution King!)

Thailand....help the locals

Post by scoop »

Hiya guys

just checking in after my first day working here in Thailand
What a sad sight and site this place is
I am working on a site 1000mtr from the waters edge and the water marks are over 3 mtr on the walls remaining...and we would be 2 - 3 mtr above sea level.....the devistation and destruction is just totally unbelievable.... I ask anyone who has the time ...to come over and vollunteer or just come over as a tourist.....not much surf....but just to spend some money as there are little or no tourists here to spend money so that the locals can have some income......the accom is cheap as is the food.....we are not drinking the water unless sealed bottles but there are experts here treating the wells and digging new ones for the locals....
we started digging footings for a basic 6mtr x 8 mtr house today....
it was 38c and not comfortable but plenty of liquids and rest breaks keeps you going along with a healthy local thai meal for lunch provided
I am at a place called Khoa Lak....about an hours drive from Phuket the main town down here in central west Thailand....This was one of the largest devistated area on the Thai coast....mainly European tourists and locals,,,,about 20000 peoplelost there lives in this provence along...........a really sad thought

I will keep up sending reports ...if I dont come back to thge hotel and collapse after my day out doing real work......some thing I havent done in a while......but hey.....what a great feeling knowing someone will have a home to move into after our 2 weeks here

cheers guys

chat soon

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
DarcyM

tsunami relief

Post by DarcyM »

You rock, Tony. Wish I could do more to help, but I'm sure no one wants an OSHA spook hanging around during the re-build! :lol:

Stay safe and hydrated and thanks for being another stellar example of worldwide good will!
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

I am with you Darcy........you do rock Tony.

This man has got soul
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Bud

Post by Bud »

Tony,

Good on ya mate!
We've been sending $ to help out.
My wife as you know is Thai. Her brother is helping out with the reconstruction in Phuket.

Don't think there's never surf there.
You might be surprised at how fun the surf can get.
I just checked the swell WAM forecast. There's some surf headed your way as I type. :D

http://facs.scripps.edu/surf/images/gblind114.gif
stemple

Post by stemple »

I hope the surf comes up for you tony. You deserve a little pay back for good Karma :D
Jerry
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jerry »

The world needs more Tony's.
Craig

Thailand

Post by Craig »

I'm proud of you Tony, your a giver Bro 8) Keep us posted.

sTiLL a gRom
john -

Post by john - »

do you have your board with you scoop?
merely labled
red

Post by red »

Kept my word, Tony (just a bit slow)

Keep up the good work
scoop

Post by scoop »

hiya guys

Big THANX Red...and thanks for the nice words guys...

well its been a week hard at it.....It has been a tad labour intensive as "their" way is a lot different to ours
....We try to get them to understand but.......so we do what the local engineers want but it means we will not finish what we planned ....(completing two houses)
At this moment we have one up to floor level and another about half way....If we had designed them our way... we would most likely have a frame on a concrete slab by now....
Today being Saturday we had a break and went touring up north to some more effected towns and distributed some soft toys and games that had been rebuilt or repaired ...some even new... to the temporary housing camps....(we brought over 75 kg) and found some even more needy villages that could be helped out on future return visits here
We have another week of toil so hope to get as much done as possible in the time left
If if wasnt for all the (mainly young) volunteers over here this would be a huge task to be taken on by just the locals.....(well those left)
People can come to the Khoa Lak area and they will find a Volunteer centre as they come into town which coordinates jobs on a daily basis... even just cleaning the beaches or baby sitting local mothers children as they go off to make their megre living or... help build housing....to us the quality isnt that high so you dont have to be good....

Saturday night calls so am off for a big night...some of the guys have taken off to Phuket for the weekend so some more Thai food and a massage looks like a great night bach here in Khoa Lak

Will update again

cheers

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
scoop

Post by scoop »

PS

no I didnt bring my board but did find some small waves whilst up the coast at a river entrance so could be a promising spot with good conditions
May bring it next time

cheers

Tony
scoop

Post by scoop »

hiya guys
here is a site with som pics on from one of the other guys
I will do the same
enjoy

http://au.msnusers.com/MANLYBUILDERSPHO ... snw?Page=1

wow what a trip and experience...very moving at times

cheers 4 now
tony