Bali Bound...give me ideas.

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Paul
Local (More than 25 post)

Bali Bound...give me ideas.

Post by Paul »

I'm leaving for Bali inless than two weeks. Any places that are must sees/must do's? I already have some great suggestions, but I thought I'd put the question to all the Bali veterans. I'm especially interested in the names of places to stay, as I will be going without any reservations. First stop off the plane will probably be Legain, for it's tranquility.

Paul.
geo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by geo »

Paul
There a so many places to see and surf! The thing is hooke up with a driver that knows his way around,I've used the same guy over the last few year and there has been no problems. Place to stay are numerous, I lucked into the Kuta Puri on Poppies Lane 1 about 75 yards to the beach with a nice pool area away from the street in a garden setting. Feel free to contact me at Gblair01@msn.com as I can not figure out how to attach the info. You should score with the surf I usually go about this time of year but heading to the Maldives instead!
red
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

Geo,
My limited 1 trip to Bali taught me 3 things:
1. Kuta reef is super consistent, and really good. but also really crowded. Local kids pack it out every afternoon, but can be quite a hoot if you get along with them (they'll still try to hustle you, but won't drop in as much).
The one that got away: http://www.triggerbros.com.au/airparadi ... ter-3c.jpg
2. Stay at/near Uluwatu or Padang, then you can walk to waves rather than take a boat . Ulu is more mellow at low tide and less crowded.
3. Stay at Mendawi for a few days. Cheap accom and food, plenty of waves away from the bustle of the towns.
Take a mossie net. Weighs nothing, helps heaps. Take betadine, a rashie and booties - you will still get reef cuts, but at least you can treat them.

Havn't travelled to other islands (Nusa Dua etc.), so can't help you there.
geo

outta here

Post by geo »

Strange that this topic comes around as I leave for Bali on Sunday for a month. Have not been since 2001, sure lots going on looking forward to the outer island trips along with G-land. Selamat Jalan
kneelo_44

Post by kneelo_44 »

Leg ropes are a must the 2 times I have been there I have broken/snapped them. They can a pain to get hold of and they weren't that cheap either for the good ones. Not the ones the kids try to sell too you. It may seem strange but I used a motorbike to get around whilst there and had not probs with the board on the bike. It some/most cases it's a lot less than they carry on there's. But I also hooked up with a good driver (not easy), but I also used a car as well, and did my driving/navigatition its not that hard and accm was easy to find as well. I agree with Red on the Mozzie net.

John
I would rather be slotted
Duane Bosch

Post by Duane Bosch »

Don't buy any watches.
geo

Post by geo »

ROLEXS GOOD FOR YOU GOOD FOR ME! MORNING PRICE! IT GOES ON AND ON
damo

Post by damo »

hi guys, first i would suggest to get out of kuta! as red said hang around the ulus area,its always goin to be crowded but if your stayin at the break(ulus,padang,bingin-stay at mumma ketuts,super cheap,great views and a mozzie net) you get the early before the masses awake from the arak coma,grab a driver,get through the traffic and invade your new local,above all smile,dont drop in on a local and have fun.when in kuta go to jalan malasti and find deduk surfshop these guys are super friendly and honest and can arrange any boat trips or g-land,ive stayed with them half a dozen times and never had a problem(these guys just about run the streets) medewii is a great option also ill be there in about 4weeks myself , tell em damo sent ya, cheers
floyd699

Post by floyd699 »

Mate - I LOVE MEDEWI
probably not the best place to bring young kiddies tho'
I figure if I want to hang around a bunch of ignorant, drunken western wankers I'll stay at home with my mates, so all Kuta's good for is a bit of shopping i reckon. Sure - not a whole lot to do at Medewi but is there anything better than waking when you want, sleeping when you want, time means nothing, eating, surfing, reading, relaxing, a dip in the pool, and more importantly NO CROWDS (until the bus load o'Jap tourists rock up)
halbs

bali bound

Post by halbs »

Wow this topic got bumped big time!!

Flloyd are you heading to Bali?
My family and I fly out of Adelaide on the 16th of December, for a month maybe I'll see you at Sanur reef. My second trip this year bit spoilt!
Looking forward to warm water and cold Bintang.
getting there is often as good as getting there
tomway

Post by tomway »

Hey halbs
I'll be flying home on the 17th Dec after a long sabbatical in the UK. Will definitely be in Bali for a weekend while you're there looking for sanur reef action. Fancy meeting for a surf/beer?

Flloyd, when were you last at medewi? I revisited as I went through a couple of years ago on the bus from java and it was super crowded for the few days I was there - much different to how I remembered it on some of my early visits to indo.
halbs

bali bound

Post by halbs »

Tomway would be keen to catch up for a surf and a beer my bali phone number is 6285935366664 give me a call when you can and we can get something organised.
getting there is often as good as getting there
floyd699

Post by floyd699 »

Mate - wish I could join you.
Works flat chat and just returned from the good ol' US of A (work unfortunately - bit hard to pack a board & work on a tan in Minnesota)
Maybe keep in touch for a trip next year eh? Maybe around June / july when the winters at its worst and the warm Indo sun and warm water will be so inviting? Never been to Sanur - resorts / hotels any good? More importantly - waves any good?
Bintang? Hmm - mixed emotions about that stuff, would love to take a few slabs of Coopers or Red Back, but anythings better than the local jungle juice.
Sanur Waves get chokkas with tourists or is it far away from Kuta only those in the know end up there?
I've kind of become - anti crowds, in & out of the water hence my love of Medewi
floyd699

Post by floyd699 »

Tomway - last time a few years
Is it overrun now?