Oregon

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

martin
Local (More than 25 post)

Oregon

Post by martin »

Greetings from not so sunny England.
Just a general question, my new employer is based out of Portland Oregon, and as a result I will be travelling across the pond a couple of times a year from now on. What are the beaches like on the Oregon coast? Is it worth packing my board on these visits? How long will it take to drive from Portland to the coast?
Why is the sky blue? and are the stars merely pinpricks in the curtain of night? (sorry got a bit carried away :P , any info on Oregon gratefully appreciated.

Take it easy
Martin
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Paging Jerry... paging Jerry...

Please come to the white courtesy phone...

(BTW, look back in the photo album... you'll see some pix... and remember, past results are not an indication of future performance)
ScottMac
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

Post by K-man »

:roll: :lol: Yes and no to all that..It's like anywhere else.There are popular spots that everyone goes,and then there are spots that are more secluded.
Besides,yanks pretty much all get on with brits,aussies.kiwis, traveling surfers...even kneeboarders...
try this link.No secrets here,well populated surfing areas.Notice the surf shops??click on them.
Not sure how long from portland to surf 2-2.5 hrs.Jerry's gonna tell you,he knows.
If all else fails,I've afriend lives in astoria,been surfing the area for years,and we'll get you squared away,at the right time.

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr=&q ... &oi=localr

K
K-man

One more time

Post by K-man »

Martin,
muck around with the zoom on the map,and you'll find portland.Small world..
K
Jerry
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Jerry »

Greeting's Martin, this is Jerry from, of all places, Oregon. Pay no attention to Scott. I am NOT married to my sister :evil: . One and one half hours from Portland to the coast. Once you get to the coast, where you go depends on the time of year. Crowded good waves in fall and winter. Not so crowded and not so good waves spring and summer. But there are exceptions to the rule. Let me know when your coming. I'll set you up :wink: .
Cheer's
Jerry
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
martin

Post by martin »

Thanks for all your info chaps! Even if some of it was a little scary....
Jerry - that sounds really promising, 1.5 hours to the coast is easily manageable. I'm heading out there next week, but due to a rubbish work schedule will have no spare time to travel/investigate at all :(
My next visit however I will arrange things better and tag on some holiday days to give me some time to get stuck in.
Thanks for your help and hope to speak to you all soon
Take it easy
Matin
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Martin - With an 1 1/2 drive to the coast, you also have the option of jumping on a jet and popping down to the San Jose. California airport and a 45 minute drive to Santa Cruz. We have the boards, wetsuits and fins for you here.

Tell your boss its a work-related trip to the Silicone Valley then invoice your company for the trip.
kbing since plywood days
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

And Martin, feel free to use one of my boards. :wink:
JackG

Post by JackG »

surfhorn wrote:Tell your boss its a work-related trip to the Silicone Valley then invoice your company for the trip.
Silicone Valley is near LA, where they make all the pr0n. Now if you are turned on by high-speed, small feature size, low power semiconductors, then SJC is definitely the the place to go. Oh, and surf is much better in Santa Cruz then LA, if you don't die going over hwy 17 to get there that is.
gunkie
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Re: Oregon

Post by gunkie »

Go to Seaside via route 26. 1.5 hours. The best wave when it's working is the left point on the southside of town. Can be sketchy to get into and out of the water depending on the swell.

My experience there: I had a good time. I kept my mouth shut, didn't snake anyone, no one snaked me, I never made eye contact with anyone, and I got some great waves. It is definately a 'local' spot that is known for a world class wave. I was there on a nice weekend and the water was crowded. There seemed to be two factions of jerks that were more concerned with each other than they were with a single, non-threatning, kneeboarder from Philadelphia. One group seemed to be 'inlanders' and the other group seemed to be more 'local' to the Seaside area. Again, I had no problems. I got two killer tubes in 1.5 hours and a half-dozen other good waves in that time. I also surfed the beach break just north of the point and got a few hammering cloesouts.

I used to travel to Portland regularly from the east coast [US] for a former employer. I miss it.

Localism is for jerks.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Sounds interesting. Think I'll check it out...
gunkie

Post by gunkie »

Jerry wrote:Sounds interesting. Think I'll check it out...
I should have read the thread before posting. I'm glad to see kneeboarders sticking together.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

Martin - With an 1 1/2 drive to the coast, you also have the option of jumping on a jet and popping down to the San Jose. California airport and a 45 minute drive to Santa Cruz. We have the boards, wetsuits and fins for you here.
hey if you are on the jet you could stay another hour in the air and fly in to john wayne airport (OC). dont bother with the wetsuit (5mm+) or the shark suit or the shark repelant lol!
I used to live in east anglia and the water here is about 20 deg warmer all you will need is your sunblock... as i know how you brits get lol 8)
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

or another hour on top of that and go to San Diego. Jack and Darcy will give you their wave quota at Blacks.
kbing since plywood days