nEW zEALAND/ Samoa

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

KAVA
Legend (Contribution King!)

nEW zEALAND/ Samoa

Post by KAVA »

heading to raglan, NZ in jan 06 then to Western Samoa in feb 06 any other KB'ers around hamoa? I know there are pleanty in NZ. any that frequent this site?
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

YAWN..... DOESNT ANYONE TRAVEL LOL...
ross

Post by ross »

hey kava
have you been to NZ before?Raglan is gold although i reckon if i went back i wouldnt even bother surfing Manu bay(the first point)i'd head straight to indicators.you might even get the odd tube through the valley!i worked at the Raglan wagon cabins for 4 months about ten years ago.
a funny memory i have of Raglan was when a fellow traveller from the US was heading to town i asked him to grab me a couple of longnecks of beer(spieghts?).he didnt know what longnecks were ,so i said there big bottles of beer :roll:.
at this time i was unaware of the recycled bottle refills they have in their grog shops over there.
so you can imagine my bulging eyes when my American friend re-enters the backpackers with 2 x3 litre ex-coke bottle full of the golden amber!! :?
he tells me the guy in the shop reckoned because of the plastic bottle the beer would go flat real fast.the American must have thought i was some sort of super drinker or (non drinker himself)had no idea of the momentous task he had set me.
being a boof head 20 year old at the time i thought i'd give it a good nudge(come to think of it i'd probably still try :D ).i proceeded to get horribly drunk.
which was unfortunate,seeing that the American had a red hot wife with these huge fake boobies,that i was having increasing trouble averting my eyes from :oops:.thank god i didnt decide she wanted me to touch them :oops:
the next morning i awoke half in the door of my tent,pants around my ankles because in my drunkenness i had forgot to take my shoes off.
it was very cold as it was early August and my new friends didnt want to talk to me anymore :twisted:
red

Post by red »

Opunake is a hotbed of kneeboarding. Hook up with the locals and maybe get taken to hidden spots and suck on some (non-recycled) longnecks, too. Just ask at the surf shop or pub for Murray Wier or Brian Walbutton.
waka

new zealand/ samoa

Post by waka »

Kava
never really surfed New Zealand, but had a surf trip to Samoa
read story by Rob Slater
www.lexicon.net/drift/samoa.htm
:)
Just call me 'Poppy'
Wandandian Devil
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

which was unfortunate,seeing that the American had a red hot wife with these huge fake boobies,that i was having increasing trouble averting my eyes from .thank god i didnt decide she wanted me to touch them
the next morning i awoke half in the door of my tent,pants around my ankles because in my drunkenness i had forgot to take my shoes off.
it was very cold as it was early August and my new friends didnt want to talk to me anymore
ROFLBO!!! :lol:

yeah i KB'ed there a couple years ago. my cousin is maori and his family owns the land right at indicators so we just drove right up to the point. it was pretty kewl. it was about 10' and you could ride all the way in to whale bay. here are a couple pics i took.

KAVA

Post by KAVA »

plans change as they do now we are skipping NZ and doing hawaii and samoa. (my cousins in Laie, Oahu have been buggin me for years to come see them [LBi] ). gonna hit boilers and goat island if its good?
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Bud

Post by Bud »

Kava,

Jan / Feb is prime time for Oahu's East shore.

Better skip Goat island though. The giant wrap around swells needed to make the East shore fire, miss it nearly completely.

Boilers is strange :? but has it's moments.......some really insane moments. :D

Since the Boilers area holds the main beaches for BYU students, it's no secret and does get a big crowd.
But it's mostly a friendly recreational surf crew of locals, visiting student surfers, and surf stoked Japanese visitors.

Hopefully I'll have more time to surf, after 3 years focusing on more important matters.

There's a lot to choose from between Turtle Bay in the North to Rabbit Island in the South. Fortunatlely most of it's "out of sight, out of mind". :wink:

I'll be stoked to meet up with you for a paddle out that way.
PM me when the time gets near.
Headwax
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Headwax »

well I was stuck in a NZ airport on the way to Tahiti - for seven hours.

They have really nice toilets and the coffee is okay but they make lousy stuffed koalas...

The glass in the windows at the airport is also nice and you can see outside.

There is a lot of green stuff outside; and once or twice we saw a motor car driving along the road.

I noticed that they also have (along the road) some nice telegraph poles, and most of the wires hanging between the poles seem to be unbroken.

There was a lady at the newsagent shop who spoke english and had very straight teeth. I think her parents were from scotland. We made friends and I bought a magazine from her. In the magazine were pictures of other people who I think were new zealanders. The people in the pictures seemed very nice, though one had some tattoos.

Then our plane was fixed which was lucky because I think they had a problem with the radar.

Tahiti is a very small island in a big lot of water and I think it is hard to find without radar, especially in the dark - which it was.

Tahit had a lot of lights and when we woke up in Papiete I noticed there is also a lot of smoke coming down from the mountains. In Tahiti they are trying to get rid of the trees on the mountain sides becaue they block there view of the top of the mountain - especailly for the short people.

I think that's also nice.

By the way, in Tahiti there are a lot of beautiful women.
There are alos some ugly ones.

The ugly ones are mostly men who dress like women. They are so ugly that no one looks at them, so no one finds out/

But I read it in the tourist brochure so I knew.

Be warned Kava. :wink:

hope this helps..............
nwdude

Post by nwdude »

over the top. but i'm lovin' it - no idea who you are, but you go, girl !
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

HEY Headwax! a couple of my boys from "Huntington Beach Kava Club" left for tahiti today. 1 of thems father-inlaw owns the land in fron of that special place with the special thick wave (teahupoo). hola at em if you happen to be up dat way. (they ride "russell" surf boards.) cant miss em, heh heh a tongan and a mexican. heh heh hola amigo! fefe hake? :lol:

ps: thanks ok:tony for hookin up my bro jeff (HBKC) in japan. he says there is a swell comin in now suposed to be 10'+ 8)
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

I have surfed in new zealand twice....Raglan is one of the wonders of the world (not to be missed) and Taranaki is a wealth reef breaks, not much top to bottom stuff....but the walls ooohhhh the walls

i wanna go back
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
Anthony B
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Anthony B »

Spent 4 months surfing that beautiful place that is NZ back in 79,80 oooh a long time ago now. :shock:
Me and a mate hooked up with a guy from queensland and surfed nearly every conceivable place we could,staying in youth hostels along the way that were oozing with swedish backpackpackers :D
Steen your on the money about the long walls,lots of point breaks that go for ever,Shipwrecks up nth ,Stent rd on the west coast,Mt mangamanu? all those nice peninsulas that are always off shore on one side or the other. :)
Still have the maps of both islands with each place we surfed marked on them.'
What went on in the youth hostels,well that sjust etched in my mind :wink:
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

east coast NZ feb 05

waihi beach, NZ dec 04
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bud

Post by Bud »

Visited N.Z. in March of 78 with 2 mates.
3 guys 9 boards packed into a second hand 64 Renault R4 for 1 ½ months.
First stop was Piha.
Closed out at about 8'. Get a few mad runs and come into some locals asking how we even made it out?
Next stop Shipwrecks.
2 weeks of BLISS so beautiful, long emerald green walls. Mostly 4-5', couple 6-8' days Nobody else there. :D 8)

Next stop was to be Raglan but it was getting dark and we’d driven all damned day. The map showed a river mouth and a small Pt. With a camp ground.
Pull into Port Waikato.
The kiosk at the park (closed) had a sign that said WELCOME TO SUNSET BEACH! :shock: :D
We were from Sunset Beach..........it was a sign ! 8)
Checked a hot little left beachie peeling off as it got dark.
Next morning surfed said beachie at 4 ft and roping for 100 yards.
2 more days worth then wake to pumping swell.
Amping to get to Raglan but paddle out for a quicky as it was really good. Only a fool would bail on great surf at hand.
Tide drops and this MEAN AS HELL left hander starts to fire off the cliff at the little headland down the beach.
Reminded us of Jockos reef here. We paddle up and rush the thing. A few sick pits and I take the wrong (smaller deeper) wave and end up nearly colliding with the cliff as I get spat out the end.
Tide gets lower, swell builds, wave becomes easier to make as it gets hollower and bigger. The backwash off the cliff actually kept you away after a wipeout. 8)
We stay and surf this for 3 more days. :D :D
Last day a local shows up. Stoked to see us. Asks how we found out about it. He lives an hour awayand surfs alone mostly.

Off to Ragalan.
Arrive mid day to 6' offshore swept walls but doesn’t seem to be anyone around.
No clue as to exactly where we are (at the top of the headland).
Looks fast and fun. It is.
I manage a long, long, fast one and can now see way down into the bay.
Plenty of guys out! ? :?

I yell to my friends that maybe we are missing something.
I head down towards the local crew.
First guy I meet tells me, “You can’t surf up there, it’s too fast !”
But we just did......... for an hour? :? :D
We ride with the crew here (Whale Bay?) for a bit and spend the rest of the time there (1 week) surfing the Indicator, mostly alone.

Off to the East shore and surfed all over the Mahia Peninsula and surrounding area........scored!
Gisborne was great. Good beach breaks and the rock shelf off that island was nice and sucky.
Met a beautiful girl of Thai decent.........mmmmmm cuddles on the beach in my sleeping bag.
Time to leave.
Sell the car there for $50 more than we paid. Catch a bus to Auckland.
End up in the wrong part of town. We are clueless to this fact.
Check into a hotel / pub for the last night before the fligh to Oz.
Go down for the “counter tea” dinner. We are early and the only ones there save the waitress and bar keep.
Both Maori and a bit surly to us. (a hint we didn’t pick up on........yet!)

Food comes and in walks the first after work regular.
A HUGE Maori with an afro as big as the moon.
He gets his beer turns around looks us over and says, “ Oy! What’s this!” then laughs and says, “ You can’t be from around here, where you from?”

Now we are 3 white guys just comprehending the gravity of our situation.
I’ve got dirty blond scraggly long hair, my mates have bushy WHITE hair. They are the kind of guys that CAN NOT EVER GET A TAN.

Man mountain comes over to our booth and squeezes onto the bench with me.

As he squashes me, I pipe up with a squeaky, “Were from Sunset Beach Hawaii, gulp”. :shock:

His eyes light up and he says, “Hawaii !?, They grow a bit of the green stuff there don’t they? Wanna smoke some?”
Of course we do, but.............. we are in no position to say no, even if we were choir boys.
In unison we say “SURE !”.
He proceeds to pull out and fire up a 5" X 2" thick spliff! :shock: 8) :D
We gleefully puff this phatty down and buy a couple rounds to chase it.
Mean while the place has started to fill up with a very rough and tough group .
We are getting HEAVILY VIBED but our new “friend” (still hoping here) is the biggest of them all.
He introduces us to all his mates stating our nationality and home base. Some are friendly some just glare.
He tells us that we have stumbled into a bar for warfies.
I nearly s*&^ myself thinking, “We’re in a f---ing MAORI WARFIE BAR ! ! ! :shock: ) and imaging the beating soon to be doled out to 3 white idiots.
Our new “friend” Stewie, is enjoying our obvious discomfort.
At one point a very tough, very fit and buffed guy comes up and confronts us with , “So! You are from Sunset Beach Hawaii are you? Do you know Vince Kline” My mate John says yea, he’s one of the hot young Hawaiian crew at V-Land.”
The guy replies, “You do? He’s not Hawaiian, he’s a Kiwi! His mum’s Maori and me auntie!”
This is news to us! We assumed he was Hawaiian. (Vince later got a staring role as the CYBORG with Jean Claude Van Damm.)
After that it’s smiles all around. :wink:
We buy rounds for everyone until the money runs out. The night wears into a drunken blur with the crew having a great laugh at our being so clueless. Ending with a wild cat fight between 2 huge local lasses. Cheers and betting erupt as they roll all over the floor screaming and pounding each other. Nobody interferes until they draw blood from pulling each others hair out and biting each other.

Wake the next morning with a pounding head, very dry mouth, the smell of spew and musky odor of our dingy quarters.
But alive and in one piece! :D :shock:

Oh to be young and stupid again. :lol: :lol: :lol: