Take off?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

ShaunMurphy
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

big rock

Post by ShaunMurphy »

My second favorite wave brake is big rock
and ive only gone there once and for me it was perfect.
waist to head high, perfect tide for about 1hour- 1hour half
my friend matt took me out there becus he is insane about this place
i watched him pull into one and was like SIckk!
and i took a shoulder high wave on the set and it just wedged up and i got thrown, somehow landed infront of the reef and was able to paddle out.
so i decided to work my way up
got a waist high one and the 2k fish just Loved it
i was accelerating like i was on a chest high wave
so i was just flying down the line then pulling hard cutback after cutback
words cant describe how much fun that was.
matt was pulling in the deepest out of all the surfers and some bodyboarders and he got the longes tube i have ever seen (that was not in a movie )
i got a ton of waves and it was one of those magical days where u discovered a new wave and it was perfect for u.
Other spots that i felt that happen were- Blacks, little point, marine street (for bodyboarding, learned how to get worked) and horseshoes
havent kbed horseshoes yet.
but yah i definetly want to have some gathering at big rock
take over the peek, show all the locals that kbing is still alive and well .
And Malaga that wave looks totaly rideable for kbing
just hit it when u think its right for u
Looks gnarly :twisted:
peace and have fun
shaun
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Ok Martin.. we`ll set something up
DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

big rock

Post by DarcyM »

martinmurph wrote:Sounds like a winner TooFast. Let's make plans. I know it's your kind of break! :D

We'll post an invite to everyone when we work out details. I think early autumn would provide more predictable swells.
oy vey ... the locals are gonna love that ...

The trouble with Big Rock is, when it's good, it has a very narrow take off spot. Even though it closes out from there half the time (or more than half) even when it is good, the crowd tends to be all clumped together (and everyone is going left). Which is why the guys that know it well and charge from deep and get in early get all the good waves. And everyone just pushes each other to take off deeper and deeper trying to get priority ... and then the odd grom or booger sits on the shoulder dropping in on the ones that bend a little too much, shutting down any possible chance for a safe exit. Hello rock shelf... about an inch of water, maybe less.
:shock:

Which is why the locals who are on it when it's on, are all over it. And it's a tight pack. :evil:

Not that it can't be broken into. My suggestion, pick a less than epic day and take your lumps with more than the usual close-outs. I'll be there too, but if anyone asks what the f-- all these kneelos are doing at the rock, I'll just answer ...

"It was Martin's idea."

:wink:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

had a great time KBing scripps and blacks in the past....
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

Thats right Martin... I`m with you...They say dinamite comes in small packages... I think i`ll ride the "PICKLE FORK" that day.
Jack Beresford

the rock

Post by Jack Beresford »

Hi Guys,

Sorry, I won't have any part of this one and I think you should reconsider this idea. The gatherings we've had thus far have been - for the most part - very positive events that were respectful of the locals and others. Most have been at wide-open beach breaks and other places where we could "spread out" without ruining somebody elses day. I'm not into showing up and taking over - especially not without the blessings of the local crew. I don't think that's the spirit of KSUSA or the majority of those on this Web site. I agree, there is a great history of insane Kneeboarding at Big Rock that goes back to the "glory years" but from what I can tell we don't have a strong local presence there now.

Big Rock is an insanely crowded break that is also rather fickle (another problem for trying to plan an event there). A few of us still surf there on occasion and I'd hate for this event to ruin the reputation of all Kneeboarders. I understand there have been problems there between bodyboarders and standups. By being respectful of everyone, I've never had a problem there - and haven't heard that any of bros have either.

I strongly suggest that those who want to stake their claim at the rock do it the old fashioned way: pay respect, be low-key and spend the time that's necessary to ride it correctly. It's a special place.

Jack

PS: sorry if this sounds a little too serious (especially for a Friday)! It's just that this has "train wreck" written all over it!
nwdude
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

i agree

Post by nwdude »

i had the same thoughts as jack, but living 1500 miles away and having put foot in mouth a couple of times recently, figured to give this one a rest - i used to live and surf in sd, but then was a footie so never surfed big rock- the concept of agressively " taking over " any spot makes me nervous - imagine if a group of longboarders had the concept of " taking over " a spot - bad karma for sure
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

3 to 5 outsiders a "small group" ? In the eyes of the locals at a break like Big Rock, or some other breaks I know of that I could [ but won't ] mention, 3 to 5 would be considered a major invasion ! And they would be dealt with accordingly :evil:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
W.G. Facenda

Post by W.G. Facenda »

Why the need for a group hug? Why not just surf it alone or with a friend ? Why bring a crowd to an already crowded spot? :?
wino

Post by wino »

Jack and John, thanks for your for your responses. They are much more diplomatic than what I was going to write. Big Rock, like all tight spots it's best to go alone and keep your mouth shut while working your way into the fold.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

damned localizm ! where do they think they are???? P.V.?? lol