The Trails Less Travelled

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

KAVA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by KAVA »

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Main Entry: 1lo·cal
Pronunciation: 'lO-k&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English localle, from Middle French local, from Late Latin localis, from Latin locus place -- more at STALL
1 : characterized by or relating to position in space : having a definite spatial form or location
2 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a particular place : not general or widespread b : of, relating to, or applicable to part of a whole
3 a : primarily serving the needs of a particular limited district b of a public conveyance : making all the stops on a route
4 : involving or affecting only a restricted part of the organism : TOPICAL
5 : of or relating to telephone communication within a specified area

One entry found for localism.

Main Entry: lo·cal·ism
Pronunciation: 'lO-k&-"li-z&m
Function: noun
1 a : a local idiom b : a local peculiarity of speaking or acting
2 : affection or partiality for a particular place :

Sounds to me like localism is defined as a people that are passionate about the place where they live? My issue is when you come to our beaches ( my family has been here more than 200 years so i would say we fit the "local" profile heh heh) you treat the place with respect. That should be applicable to all places you visit! wtf! do some of you not know what the heck courtesy is???!!
concerning the picture issue? take all the pictures you want thats your right. But to be revealing a secret for the sake of self gratification is dispicable! and what goes around comes around.... (ie: surfer mag's map making crap)

a great man once said "karma kava it's all about karma"

concerning battery, assault and other violent crimes?? dependant on local laws you may be required as a citizen to make a citizens arrest. In that event? the person you are making the Citizens arrest on may also make one on you. In effect, you both end up going to jail. so.... if you are going to call the police make sure you have a credible witness or 2 (your buddy smoking a bowl in the back seat i would not consider credible)

(i thought Darcy was a dude? lol)
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

KAVA wrote:[(i thought Darcy was a dude? lol)
Like the big pink flower wasn't a total giveaway ...
:wink:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

uh nope, could be a transplant from the bay area lol!
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

I would just like to say that I totally stand behind Darcy and the right to do what she wants afforded to her by the constitution of the United States, and the veterans who died defending our constitution.
I myself being a former Army Ranger, welcome some chump coming up to me in or out of the water with a localism problem he is suffering from.
This is America, not China, not Iraq, not Guatemala.
Locals should be ashamed!
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

I myself being a former Army Ranger, welcome some chump coming up to me in or out of the water with a localism problem he is suffering from.
I myself as a retired Military Policeman and SRT member have no problem with that at all heh heh. but if you want a prime example of localism? here ya go
there is a hotel down the road from your house where you live(BFE Anywhere USA/AUS/UK). there at the hotel some out of town tourist has a ragin party. some of the party goers having no respect for the locals (you) piss in your yard and throw their crap on your lawn. They hit on your 12 year old daughter/neice heh heh then while you are cleaning up their trash one comes along and takes a BIG stinkin dump on your lawn. I expect from what you have posted here you are going to go up to him and offer him some toilet paper and offer to wipe his butt for him too :shock: ? lol i mean you live there so that makes you the local right?

By the way to offer a violent action will likely result in a violent reaction. Its the same from both sides of the coin. its all about karma
I have several standup friends i surf with that are Vets from all branches (except USCG lol) and they feel the same as i do>>when visiting a place respect the land and its people and abide by its customs.
I sent a care pkg to one of my buddies in iraq and wasnt able to send him any checharones. He being a native californian was bummed but had to abide by the local customs. Should i have sent them anyhow and got him in trouble with his commander? hmmm ??? no porkskins for him but here is a nice article 15 for ya buddy heh heh. christmas came early! :?
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Kava, I don't see what your fantasy has to do with surfing in the water, or taking pictures.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

MY POINT (AS YOU AND I HAVE PRIVATELY AND MIGHT I ADD CALMLY DISCUSSED :) ) IS THAT YOU SHOULD RESPECT THE PLACES YOU ARE VISITING (EITHER IN THE WATER OR ON LAND). TREAT THE PLACES YOU VISIT LIKE YOU WOULD EXPECT VISITORS/TOURIST TO TREAT YOUR HOME.

AS FOR MY FANTASY??? IT INVOLVES ADRIANA LIMA AND A CAN OF WHIPPED CREAM :shock: BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT THAT HAS TO DO WITH KB'ING ROFL!
ImageImage
Last edited by KAVA on Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
surfseeker7
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by surfseeker7 »

I agree with RW's points. My world was rocked by Darcy's photos of the Big Sur gathering on that epic south swell! I will most likely never surf that spot she took photos of, that later trickled into other websites. But it was cool to see them and mind-surf them. Isn't this what the magazine industry is all about? At least Darcy is posting her photos for free, without associated advertisements.

You could say I respect locals by being good enough to get out of someone's way when they are taking off on a wave. But then, that's not just respecting a local, that's respecting anyone on a wave.

Taking photos of spots enhances our respect and admiration for the ocean and it's bountiful offerings. To suggest that one person is more local than the next is absurd. At least until we start selling surf spots to the highest bidder. Only then would the self dubbed "locals" realize that what they are claiming as their own is really part of the public domain, for all to share.

If people want solitude, they should wake up earlier...
My two cents!
~SS7
kneecaps

Post by kneecaps »

Great fantasy, Kava.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

If people want solitude, they should wake up earlier...
good quote lol i like that :D
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
DrStrange

Post by DrStrange »

To suggest that one person is more local than the next is absurd.
I think once upon a time there was a substantial tribe of Native Amer. living in Big Sur. A more P.C. name for Native tribes these days is First People. Hmmmmm.... They might regroup and throw everyone out of the water :wink:
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

There are still a few Eselen people around. I've been fortunate to attend some of their ceremonies over the years. In fact, my friend's local tribe of the Ohlone just blessed the opening of the new high school where I work.
kbing since plywood days
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Surfhorn - you are connected to more stuff than any human has a right to be!!! :lol:
nwdude

surfhorn

Post by nwdude »

surfhorn is actually forrest gump !
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

I'm a biogeographer. And geography is the catch-all of the sciences: a little of this - a little of that. And there is always a lot of field work.

Or it might be that I have ADA. Could never figure that out.

Life is like an ocean of barrels. You never know when you're going to get your ass slammed onto the reef.
kbing since plywood days