Going to Spain!

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

MWROBERTSON
Legend (Contribution King!)

Going to Spain!

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Hi Everyone,

I'm going to Spain the 2nd week of October. I will be in Madrid & Barcelona most of the time. I'm sorry to say I may only have a day or two to get towards the Mundaca area. I would love to bring my stick(s) but having such a short window I would be reluctant to bring one. I would be willing to borrow a board if possible.

Does anyone know someone who lives/KB in that area? Any help would be great.
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

Mark, if it is firing it is worth the hassle of bringing a board even if you get 2 days. There is insane surf in both Spain and France. Plus you are going in the best time of year to score.
quadfin

Spain

Post by quadfin »

San Sebastian is within day range driving from Madrid, and I agree worth the trip. You can also fly into Bilbao from Madrid or Barcelona and drive north. There may even be commuter flights into San S.

Biarritz and Hossegor are just north of San Sebastian. Plenty of surf shops around these two towns but don't know about kneeboards. The Basque area is well worth visiting even if you don't surf.
MWROBERTSON

Spain

Post by MWROBERTSON »

Dave & Quadfin,

Thanks for the info. I'm working for a couple of days at least there. Maybe I'll bring an older board & sell it or leave it with someone. Maybe I can get a Spainard into the KB club. :)
quadfin

Spain Spill

Post by quadfin »

Oh yeah...forgot about the Prestige Oil Spill. Oil is still washing ashore all along the west coast of Portugal and Spain and the North coast of Spain 9 months after the spill. The Basque area is the hardest hit and some beaches remain closed.

FYI this spill will dwarf Exxon Valdez in damages for several reasons. The main reason is that the original response was botched and that this spill is a heavy fuel oil, almost like tar, that will break up into globules and disperse for years. France is still remediating the Cadiz spill, as they please, these many years later. Sorry, but the prevention of this kind of incident is my business and know some of the players involved in this screwup.

Now go have fun and don't forget your wetsuit.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

Try and find a used stand-up fish if you can't find a KB. I used a friend's 6'0" Rusty thruster and it surfed pretty well in 3-4 surf.

But, sorry about the knee wells.....
kbing since plywood days
Iñigo
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

I am the Spanish.

Post by Iñigo »

Hello,

I am the Spanih to whom Mark contacted in Zarautz. I have been a kneeboarder since 15 years, before I was a surfer. I live in Zarautz, and I know quite well the North part of Spain and South of France, so if any of you is travelling to this part of the world and wants some information, please contact me and I will try to help.

In Bizkaia we have several famous beaches, Mundaka with one of the best lefts in Europe, Sopelana, Bakio.
In Gipuzkoa Zarautz, Gros, and several special spots when there is big waves, Orrua (between Zarautz and Getaria) Roca Puta...
In the South of France all the beaches in Las Landas, Biarritz, Hossegor...

From the 12 till the 24 there is a wct with the 45 best surfers in the worl in Mundaka.
I will inform you about it.
szrbloke

Me too!

Post by szrbloke »

I'm off to spain on the 25th september for a week staying at the resort of Purevacations in Loredo (Cantabria between Bilbao and Santander), taking advantage of thier surf guide service. I hope to get some decent waves to get me right back into it. The week before at Croyde Bay I am having as a "tune up" week for my surfing, which is sadly rusty....

Not sure how close you are INIGO, but lets meet up for a beer if possible!

all the best

Scotty - exiled in london but originally from the centre of the universe - GOSFORD NSW. :-)
all the best,

Scotty