Centro

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Jimbo
Legend (Contribution King!)

Centro

Post by Jimbo »

Hi All - Jimputz and I are talking about a trip in the fall. Checked Costa Azul Adventure Resort north of Puerto Vallarta and it looks ccol. Anyone been there? Any other ideas for a low stress, economical trip down south? Thanks
skansand

centro???

Post by skansand »

hey jimz....ive never been in central america but it looks sweet....ive been to mazatlan which was way so cool....rasta vibes and nice waves...didnt see an unfriendly face the whole trip(8 days)....the locals out at valentinos(point-reef)..asked me why i didnt stand up and i just told em the waves were almost always overhead..they laughed and we bullshitted the rest of the day complimenting eachothers rides and sharing waves....great times...theres a guy there with a rasta stripe semi-gun which he rode in in waist high to 8' while i was there..hes a funny guy which used to ride the break under the golden gate bridge until he got caught and was deported....he runs a boggie/surf rental in front of valentinos now....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

ska - you wanna go with? Would be fun to get together a whole kneelo trip.
skansand

hmmm

Post by skansand »

sounds like lots of fun....maybe if id have required funds...probably steal my dads frequent flyer miles..he just got back from cabo and said the waves were about 4' with huntington-like crowds....maybe i could get my parents to see it like a graduation trip.... :D
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Jimbo,

Howdy!

JAdams and I have been.

In the spirit of surfing is the new golf, it's another 'one of those connections.'

Quick summarization:
Some has probably changed. Since we've been, there's boat trips for $$ to less surfed breaks towards Punta de Mita.
Their local break is about 10-15 minutes walk South. It's off an estuary that can produce some nasty water. It's an OK break, nothing great. It does tend to pull in swell for the area. There are probably a few more go-to spots on their docket now.
Sayulita is the next break South... no place for a kneelo. Cool little town, but mostly mal material.
There are some nice breaks within 2 hours, but the timing has to be good.
The set-up is nice. It's far enough away that it's quiet. Low stress it is.
I've been 3x... we can chat about details... lot's of stories.

I'm guessing it's a better option than Cabo these days just based on opportunities, but not as good as destinations South of there. I've been to Mazatlan a couple of times for Spring Break. Crazy! Costa Azul is way more mellow. Surf-wise, either is luck of the draw.

Anyhow, that wasn't such a quick summarization. Call or PM!
BTW, week of 5/15 down there? The clan is heading down...
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Thanks Bob - we are in for week of 15th. I'll call you about the trip stuff. Jimbo
steve burpo
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by steve burpo »

jimbo,if your going mainly to surf,for the same money or less you can go to nicaragua,there are at least 10 quality breaks within 30 minutes by boat and the boat rides are included in your stay. no extra charge.
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

That's a good call by Steve.
stemple

Post by stemple »

I have been thinking Nicaragua lately. I know and some folks went down and spent some time with dale dagger(?) looked fun but looked like a lot of beach breaks. Jimbo you got my interest about a trip, how flexible are you on dates?
steve burpo

Post by steve burpo »

We surfed reefs, points and beach breaks in Nicaragua.All good breaks during the summer months.Offshore winds all day.Ask some of the other Kneelos who went.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I am flexible but Jimputz is kinda set for the first 2 weeks of Sept. Would be so fun to have a whole crew of kneelos. Nic sounds unreal.
matt cunningham

south

Post by matt cunningham »

I've surfed there quite a bit. Place called Stoners (gee why did they call it that?) from way back and Sayulita are close to Costa Azul. They don't get the swell angle that some of Mexico gets so it's not quiet as epic as Puerto or Pasquales, but Sayulita gets good.

I worked on cruise ships in the summer and fall during college and surfed the Punta Mita area north or Puerto Vallarta and Islas Piedras south of Mazatlan.

There is now a resort at Punta Mita and I'm taking the family down. I've been out of the water for three months and will be out two more with a hip replacement. Punta Mita will be my coming out party. (no not that kind of coming out, this is not Brokeback Mountain) I will post pictures and news on the waves. Going the first two weeks In July.

Matt Cunningham
aka sneaky pig
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

The resort is a Four Seasons. It's pricey, but in a good location.

Don't get me wrong... there is fun surf around there, and it can get epic. Around where Matt is talking about (Stoner's) is a left-hand point break (not Aticama) that gets pretty steep and fun.

Rivas, Nicaragua. Steve & company may have some contacts, like Dale.

There's one ex-pat that I know down there. I'm overdue to touch base with him. I think he's also getting into the surf tourism gig.

Sounds like you've got some solid options and connections... go on the PM circuit!
skansand

ha

Post by skansand »

broke ass mountain.... :lol:
Greg Little
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by Greg Little »

Just to let you know, that whole area around Punta Dimita is better in the winter on west swells. South swells tend not to hit the area all that well. It has a very small window from the south because of the tres islas. If you head south, I would think you would get better surf.
I like the thought of Nicaragua for the same price. :twisted:
Greg....