Who is this orange kneeboarder???

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

DarcyM
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by DarcyM »

no, Orange is the new Black . ....

:roll:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
boards_and_fins
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by boards_and_fins »

DarcyM wrote:no, Orange is the new Black . ....

:roll:
I thought pink was the new black. :shock:
your mom goes to college
matt cunningham

Bill and his sense of humor

Post by matt cunningham »

Last time I saw Mr. Andrews (who by the way was on the cover of Surfer Mag in 1793 as a stand up at Blacks) you wuz recovering from surgery and surfing good size Blacks with some broken ribs.....I have now recovered fom my hip replacement surgery. I want to be Bob Gove or Bill Andrews when I grow up (mainly because they are two of the only kneeboarders that are older than me and they give me hope that my extended youth wil continue for at least two more decades)...

I am sure I will see no 1/2 men on next week's over hyped media driven south swell down there at Blacks as soul surfers check their water proof Blackberries in between listening to the latest Hilary Duff CD and carefully, via GPS and the net, chart the ETA of the impending chest-high set down to the latest nanosecond...

So to all those kneelos who I won't see next week....

Here's looking at you kid....

Sneaky Pig....
DarcyM

Re: Bill and his sense of humor

Post by DarcyM »

matt cunningham wrote:Last time I saw Mr. Andrews (who by the way was on the cover of Surfer Mag in 1793 as a stand up at Blacks) you wuz recovering from surgery and surfing good size Blacks with some broken ribs.....
Glad that you're back Matt, and I guess we can blame that freudian slip on your medication. BA is old, but I don't think he was surfing in the year 1793.

Even though it seems like he's been around forever, I believe that cover was back in 1973. And BA seems to be at the beach every day, if you go by his website! :shock:
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
randiego

Post by randiego »

ah, memories. A few notes:

1. "A day with BA" is a really great site! Irreverent, but best of all, local. If you haven't seen it, all you SD folks should go check it out!

2. After following Matt's hip travails on the site, I saw him on the beach at Blacks a few sundays ago, and re-introduced myself - I figure it's been 20 years...

3. I first surfed Blacks in '75, and was a regular from '78-'88... back when I had hair! I'm another guy who's back surfing again after a 10-yr hiatus (6 years on the east coast, etc) and I'm back for good! See you out there!

stoked,

Randy
gene west

grumpy

Post by gene west »

bill....even Keating thought you were grumpy!!!lol...geno
geno
randiego

Post by randiego »

I still think the "Great Orange Kneeboarder" is a myth - he's like Chupacabra! He makes all the tabloids in Mex!! :D :D
rooster

Post by rooster »

Pay no attention to that orange kneelo behind the curtain. :o
gene west

orange

Post by gene west »

Knock knock?...Who's there? Orange. Orange who? Orange you glad your deep in that pit?
geno
gene west

blacks

Post by gene west »

hey, i was just thinking, any of you old school Blacks guys remember Eric Jenson or John DiMaggio?
geno
steve burpo

Post by steve burpo »

See what you started Will.
BillL
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by BillL »

Eric Jensen is still charging! I surfed with him a couple times over the summer at DMJ.He's still riding red boards with handles and is as stoked as ever.He and Bob Gove, the infamous orange boarded ninja kneeboarder, have been surfing Black's longer than anyone I know and are still seeking surf all around the world. Those two were the two kneeboarders that were photographed surfing all time Lower Trestles with a Navy Ship bearing down on them in the early 70's, great story. Those two are an inspiration!
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Navy Ship? someone needs to tell the story - Bob?
randiego

Post by randiego »

Disclaimer: The man is no myth :lol:

I was out with Bob yesterday in baja. DOH on the sets, and Bob was charging of course. Taking off deeper and more critical than anyone, even when he wasn't sure he could make it. Guys out in the lineup were just shaking their heads. He was getting so many waves he started giving them away, like candy!
rooster

Post by rooster »

:cry: Please don't ask Mr. Gove to tell that story :!: Bob has a copy of that issue in it's own file, a framed copy of the page with the picture of the coast guard cutter, and one of those two on the wave. :wink:

He will jump at the chance to tell the story, the whole story, and nothing but the story :twisted:

Eric Jensen had a larger role in that caper, He lost his board and it got real close to a Marine who was doing the rock dance trying to get Eric's board, Eric got to it first and claimed a leg cramp and paddled back out.

They paddled to Cottons' and were arrested and had to go in front of the Provost Marshall. 8)