heading south to Tassie for summer break

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Riq dekneelo
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

heading south to Tassie for summer break

Post by Riq dekneelo »

It's that time of year, one day to go at the office and then load the car up and head south to the shack, from xmas thru Jan, then back to the sunny coast for the swelly times at the points. :lol: :lol:
Are there any kneelos in the KSUSA lineup from the apple isle, who haven't been BBQ'ed and who wouldn't mind hooking up with a sunny coast kneelo with a shack at Cloudy Bay.... surfing the island is the gig.
I know there are some knee surfers who rip down there, had a few surfs with some Hobart crew when we were last on the island, just wondered if they 're still around?
cheers :D
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
change the only constant or the board is not the limitation
ross
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by ross »

hey Riq,
i wont be in Tas this Christmas, though i would be normally. This year i'll be in LA 8) .
i've had the odd wave at cloudy(in the red weed)
i usually spend my days over at roaring at that time of the year with the odd cape mission. i have even been lucky enough to surf the deep sou' west in January( think Matsuker :wink: ).

Maybe i'll see you down there one time.

Ross
halbs

Tassie kneelos

Post by halbs »

Hey Riq not that I'm anywhere near Tassie or Noosa but did you notice in the latest Surfing World in the article on Tassie the photos of the blokes crossing the paddock there's a guy with a Parkes under his arm, so there must be at least one kneelo on the Apple Isle!! And if you get lost on the way home drop in to SA and we can go for a surf!! Happy holidays oh yeah.
getting there is often as good as getting there
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

Riq,
a small gathering & BBQ up here on the 23rd; you'll be long gone, I guess? :D
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

Hi Lowrider, sorry but I'll miss the BBQ, I'll be ensconced in the shack by then, making the most of abalone and cray :D. however I will be in my tassie togs, you know the rubber suit with the sign 'I am not a seal' front and back :roll:
Halbs- I know there are kneelos in tas, one day I cracked up as there were 4 of us in the lineup :lol:
on another matter are you anywhere near the Mt Gambier end of SA? my boss is on aloop off 5weeks there and 7 up here over the next year and has heard rumors of a kneelo that surfs everyday down that way....
Ross- the weed, oh the weed, but when cloudy's on WGAF :wink: mind you it's not the only wave on the island, just the closest, checked by a stroll to the top of the nearest dune.... Maybe next year, give us a shout and I'll tell you where the key is :)
cheers Riq
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
lowrider

Post by lowrider »

And when you get back, I'll regale you with tales of the epic Noosa Swell of Xmas '06. :shock:
The one where kneelos dominated the points! :D

Drive safely...

Andy
halbs

the other end of SA

Post by halbs »

Hey Riq no I am nowhere near the Mt Gambier infact I am basically at the opposite side of SA [near the West Oz border]. Have a great break down in Tassie, the sound of Abalone is gold, I have a sweet chilli, ginger and coriander marinade that is superb, remember- the hottest plate possible and about 30 seconds of searing!!! I to will be into the abs this chrissy but no crays unless I get real lucky. Enjoy it all and best wishes halbs
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

Hi Halbs, I'd have to be bloody lost to near the WA border, but thanks for the idea on the marinade. we generally sharpen the sushi knife slice thinly and really briefly stir fry with lots of garlic in butter, coopers on the side :lol:
haven't planned a trip out your way for a while but my son'd been back and forth a few times, he even reckons he's taken my old fish out in the SA wilds, says it gets pretty good out your way
full power to you , it must get thirsty there tho'
cheers Riq
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
halbs

thirsty work

Post by halbs »

Hey Riq yep it can get a bit hot and thirsty out here so lucky I've discovered Cooper's new drop Mild Ale not the nectar of the gods as Pale Ale and Sparkling is but dam close and just a smidge lighter. Riq another great move with the abs is to get some water boiling and threw them into the pot for 30/40 seconds [still in the shell] and then after cooling down a bit you can shuck them by hand without a knife, then thinly sliced onto the hottest of hot hot plates for another 30/40 seconds [with the marinade] and your'e good to go. Geez I can taste them now!! Best wishes happy surfs and have a coopers for me in Tassie!!
Riq dekneelo

Post by Riq dekneelo »

is this kneeloing the menu or just waht?
Drinking coopers in tassie is a bit sacrilegious but old habits....
Riq de(Carvalho) Kneelo
ross

Post by ross »

yeah lads down south is the one time a year when i let my coopers loyalty slip :oops:
cascade pale is the way forward for me down there.

on one trip round the sou'west me and my mates (and my sister who is a mad fisho) organised a fisherman to take us the equivelant of 3 days hike, into the wilderness on his trawler.

because we had the luxury of the trawler we were able to take a few items that would normally be left behind if you were to hike in.boards,diving gear and cartons of beer!

Aside from surfing untouched breaks during that couple of weeks, i still think the best part of the trip was when some hikers camped along side us one night, after walking for 8 days eating rationed biscuits and rice.
one of them was laying in his tent talking to his mate and he says;

"mate, how were those guys eating the crayfish,abolone and sucking beers? i would have given $100 for one of those beers"
:lol:

I know it appears unAustralian to not share the beer around. But we were rationing them at 3 each per night :cry: .

Besides it would be equally unAustralian to sell a rationed beer for any amount of money :lol:

while i'm at it Halbs, what's the go with that Emu bitter gear they sell just over the border from you? when we finally crossed the Nullabor we pull into the first road house we see, we are so impressed by the bearded woodsman on the label that we hook straight in not realising we had just made the shittest purchase of our trip!

bloody false advertising putting a beardy on such poison :twisted:
halbs

Emu sh..er

Post by halbs »

Hey Ross no offence to my friends over the border but once you cross it the beer quality plummets...mind you I bought coopers pale ale in both Kalbarri and Carnarvon cheaper than I can here at home perhaps an indication of how "good" their own beer is!! That Emu Bitter stuff is whoaful. They call it Domestic Violence or Wife Beater. Oh and Riq if you can sacrifice a beer I've got a mean beer batter recipe for your fresh fish!! As you suggest I could start a tv show "crippling the menu". cheers halbs