Hiking to surf

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

T Hall
Local (More than 25 post)

Hiking to surf

Post by T Hall »

I'm wondering if there are others out there who are in the habbit of hiking into places to surf. My brother and I have a few places that we have been surfing for the last few decades that require a lengthy hike in. Never saw anyone else in there except for the occaisonal fisherman. I think that last year I surfed out of a parking lot maby a total of 4 times. Our routine is all the way off of the grid and crowdless. Just seems like the sessions are way more enjoyable and memorable when you don't see anyone else all day. Am I the exception? Are there others that are on the same program? How about K-man and Jerry, I know you guys have hike in spots that are secluded. Is it true that 99% of all surfers are park-n-surf guys that won't venture off of the beaten path. I would love to hear from others. What do you say?
Later, T Hall.
Beeline2.0
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
frankfqr
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

hike ins

Post by frankfqr »

Always intriqued by the possibilities, but increasinly confronted by the "no trespasing, private property" signs. If most people ignored them then we might see stricter enforcement. Kind of a snowball effect. Lot's of research or fortitude involved. Beeline--the area around there has alot of island blocking swell angles. Rincon was a given for increasing crowds that day, gauranted, but the possibility of scoring remote, uncrowded pointbreak was worth the risk, glad to her you opted for the possibility, sorry you were skunked but that guy would be your idol if you scored. Yeah T-Hall, I'm with you on this concept!!!!!!!!!!!
K-man

Post by K-man »

Most walks are under 30 minutes,with a few going 45-60 min.If town surf
is real small we'll get spillover to the reefs,they generally hang around and are gone by two hrs.When it gets bigger they stay in town.. :D
During the winter week days,might be just a few locals,and sometimes none...See the same faces,on and off.City boys.sonoma, mendo.and it's always good to see them :) They have a history from where they came,and that's the northern cali.connection..surfings underground telegraph?

cheers
Beeline2.0

Re: hike ins

Post by Beeline2.0 »

Last edited by Beeline2.0 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Most all hike-in breaks here in Oregon are well known by all :evil: So they can be just as crowded as non hike-in breaks. The parking lots are just further away :roll:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
gene west

Hiking

Post by gene west »

I hiked into Big Flat and Spanish Flat half a dozen times when I lived in Mendocino....pretty grueling from Shelter Cove, 11 miles through boulder fields and sand but the rewards were epic...big right points, nobody there, giant redwood trees,fresh water rivers....empty except for a bear, some elephant seals, and thr man in the grey suit!!!! Didn't get skunked for waves ever, broke between 6-15', water temp about 52 degrees,black nights with a million stars......
geno
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Beeline - if you hiked 3/4 hour south of El Cap I know where you were and trust me that place is insane!!! Every bit as hollow and long as El Cap - without all the Solvang cowboys! See your point about uncrowded Rincon but had your "friend" been correct you would have scored big time.
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Mostly my motavation for the hiking is that I would rather surf by myself or with my bro and catch maby 20 or 30 waves per session than to surf with a crowd and have your wave count be FAR less. When I do decide to surf the name brand spots I usually go very early for the same reason, wave count. Crowd surfing can be really frustrating at times and if I can get a session in with nobody out then I'll take it. However sometimes you may have to sacrafice a little wave quality because of your desire to surf by yourself and that's ok with me. Still worth it. But I try not to pass up good surf. If I see good surf with a light crowd I'm on it.
I am amazed that there isn't more people willing to go the extra mile in my neck of the woods. I guess that people get used to having the surf right in front of them at all the park-n-surf spots that they figure why hike when there's surf right here. Kind of keeps them off of the road less traveled. Later, T Hall.
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

I dont know The chance to hit El Cap when its pumping? hmm seems a shame to pass it up. we have hit el cap a few times when it was pumping and only a few people out. its my favorite spot north of LA
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
K-man

Post by K-man »

Posted this under misc.pics,once again

album_showpage.php?pic_id=8893
T Hall

Post by T Hall »

Yep, you know that there's a good bar down there somewhere. Pack your lunch.
K-man

Post by K-man »

And don't forget the first-aid kit.!
#1...stop the bleeding........ :lol:
ScottMac

Re: post

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.