Mazatlan Bound

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Speed Demon
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Mazatlan Bound

Post by Speed Demon »

I am going to Mazatlan this weekend with my wife. I have never poked around there looking for surf. Any ideas on bowling kneeboard type waves?
skansand
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by skansand »

valentinos ...left hand reef-point/ restaraunt...friendly locals

or La Bruha...beachbreak with strips of reef....
Tide is the master, tide can be a disaster...-Dub side of the Moon
eqKneelo

Post by eqKneelo »

Valentino's is fun... but there's another left in Town called Cannons that is much heavier.
Or you can hire a fishing boat or Ferry to take you out to STONE ISLAND( or paddle with the Tiger Sharks). Best wave in the area... draining right that breaks around the Island

There's also a really good Beach Break/ Rivermouth/ Left Point to the south called Patoles.
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

I agree w/EQ, he obviously has a good handle on the breaks there.

My experiences there, however, would suggest that if you are visiting there before late August (pre-Chubasco), you will most likely experience flatness. The southern tip of Baja seems to block most swells into Maz unless they are from a southwest or southerly position.

If so, Cannons and Potoles usually have some sort of rideable wave, if memory serves me correctly.

my 2 cents, anyways :wink:

most of all, HAVE FUN. 8)
WillP
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by WillP »

EQ is spot on although i've never scored Stone Island. Got Cannons for a week straight and never saw the place under head high.

EQ....when are you coming home? LOL
Speed Demon

Post by Speed Demon »

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback. It looks like the swell will be building in Mexico this weekend with a straight South---we'll see how big... but there will be something. You gotta go to know. Onward...
stemple

Post by stemple »

Looks like a new south may be on the way for the weekend of 24th (7-8 feet at 18 secs). I am heading heading Mazatlan (a new spot to check out) 23rd to 27th because airfare deals are great right now from the bay area ($368 rt). Been researching breaks, plenty of sweet ones if the right swell is running. Scoping is pretty easy with goggle earth and gps coordinates. Any additional info from experienced folks would be nice. If anybody is interested in joining me let me know. Hotel rates are pretty cheap now as well. General plan is to scope in town breaks Cannons, Olas Altas for first days then go look for local guide and/or rent a 4x4 go look for Patole, Celestino, El 29 @Dimas, Marmols left, and Rucos. I also spied two high potential left points north of Marmol that are not called out in any surf reports or guides but look like have decent roads to them. This is where either a local guide and/or downloaded GPS way points will come in handy. Hopefully no banditos this time around.