Chile

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

monkey boy
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Chile

Post by monkey boy »

I might be heading to chile this winter (well my winter their summer)... my fiance may be heading that way with work so we thought we'd make a trip of it.

Anyone been?
gogglefog
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by gogglefog »

yep,
been a dozen times or so.
i usually only go to pichilemu. there are three left points within seven kilometers. these are punta de lobos, infiernillo and la puntilla. infiernillo is very fickle but can CHANGE YOUR LIFE if you get it on.
everyone has seen pics of lobos.
to my mind the points work best on a north swell. you'll get more bowls and tubes.
on a south you get lots of current - like a river.
the good thing is that if you go in their summer, you might get those giant swells that hit the outer reefs in hawaii. only that by the time they get to chile it'll be somewhere between a four foot face to a twelve foot face and as clean and long as you can stand.
some years are better than others since these are sand bottom points.

pichi is pretty much the easiest in summer since you can get a bus straight to town from santiago via the melipilla bypass.

the points that are south of these - buchupureo, rinconada and pullay are insane as well. you can get there by bus but a car is much easier.

oh yeah, almost forgot about puertocillo. another long left point that gets hollow. lots of current - you start paddling when you jump in the water and only stop when you are riding the wave. lots of effort but well worth it. i haven't been there since you had to go with just a tent. now i here there are toilets there. you need a permit to go in there. easy to get, just ask around pichilemu.

there is a kneelo there in pichilemu nameed lucho. he is super friendly and hangs out at nachos surf school up toward the top of the point at la puntilla.

i'll be in pichi the first two weeks of february.

you might not want to go with your fiance, hint hint
monkey boy

Post by monkey boy »

sounds awesome...

No need to rent a car? Are they okay with taking a board on the bus?

I like the fiance comment hahahahaha ....... she's the "excuse" for the trip (work related)!

She boogie boards - should we bother bringing her board or buy down there?
Cheers
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

you can take a board on the bus with no problem. the busses are cheap and efficient.

if you are going to pichilemu, make sure you go to the central bus station and get a bus that goes through melipilla. this saves about two hours.

the other bus station will get you there but you have a stop in san fernando. this route is definitely prettier though. i think it must be like california was in steinbeck novels.

there are numerous surf schools there and i think they might have boogie boards to rent. as far as buying, imported goods are pretty heavily taxed there. you might want to bring the boogie and donate it or sell it when you leave - never a problem to get rid of surf equipment there.
monkey boy

Post by monkey boy »

Wahey am heading to Chile next week for a month!!!!! Combined surf/explore/trek trip on the back of my lady's work trip.

Will be hitting up Valpo and Pichi (thanks for the advice). Will be going to Valpo first (fiance's work) and then onto Pichi and south.

Any more tips or accom suggestions?

Muchos gracias
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

too bad we'll miss each other. i won't be there until february.

accomodation is plentiful in pichi.

the chile-espana is popular with most gringos. i stay down the hill from there at hotel rex since it's a bit more quiet. they both have the same owner. both restaurants are really good as well.

you can rent rooms out at punta de lobos now as well.

directly behind the chile-espana (around the block) you can get an excellent steak. last time i was there i spent about $11 us and had a filet mignon with peppercorn sauce, fries and a bottle of casillero del diablo. it's probably about 15-20% more expensive now with the dollar collapsing.

there is an excellent sushi restaurant in infiernillo right on the beach.

the Xel-ha is a cool bar with draft beer. Diego, the owner, is super cool and i think he speaks a bit of english.

for night life, there are several discoteques the 127 is the most popular.

when the surf goes bad it's usually because the wind switches north - it usually stays bad for three days before switching south again. so you'll know when to head for the andes or wineries or whatever.

an excellent day trip if the surf is bad and you rent a car is radal siete tazas. it's called the seven cups because there are seven waterfalls that line up with each other and kind of looks like tea cups.

if you ask around you can find all kinds of stuff to do in the andes. you might try a lonely planet guide book - although they are kind of hit and miss.

happy travels.
monkey boy

Post by monkey boy »

thanks so much for the tips..

Sounds great
cheers
Kauaikneelo
Legend (Contribution King!)
Legend (Contribution King!)

great info

Post by Kauaikneelo »

Googlefog: checked some spots you mention on wannasurf, one mentioned that it was first surfed by a crazy kneeboarder in the 80's...that be you ? Thank for the great travel info, got any on Equador?
aloha
-scott
Aloha from the Kingdom of Atooi
gogglefog

Post by gogglefog »

no, it wasn't me - i didn't start going to chile until the 90's. there are a few chilean kneelos around - i'll ask around when i get there in february.

as for equador, i've never been but i hear there are insane waves there but it isn't as consistent as chile or peru.

i've seen surf pics of the galapagos islands that make my mouth water.
Coldsalt
Local (More than 25 post)
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by Coldsalt »

Ill be in Pinchi from the jan 10th or 11th -feb 16th hope to see you their. I was packing a squaw last time went w/ gogglefrog and it was like bringing a mint to the candy store. See ya there
Cheers
Make new tracks!