United Airlines overpricing.

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Jimputz
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

United Airlines overpricing.

Post by Jimputz »

Took a trip to Maui recently and was charged $85 per board to get there!!!
I had my coffin bag with 2 boards in it and unknowingly had about $100 in my pocket to pay the guy, which usually covers most airlines.
Boy was I surprised when the guy says "that'll be $170 please" and I say "round-trip right???" Nope.
I did some research when I got back and discovered United Domestic flights are double the cost.
Plus, they're one of the few airlines that have "oversize baggage embargos" during the busy flying times like Christmas and the summer season.
The website stated that they will not take surfboards at all to Central America during the peak seasons. Can you believe it?
And to top it off, the counter guy on the return flight only charged me $85 for the board bag, not $85 per board!!!!
I felt a little better. I guess there's no standard policy.
Live and learn.
Next time only one board comes with me.
Jim Morales
Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Yeah Jim, they are really ripping us off. I have a plastic case, Malibu case I think it's called, anyway you can fit two boards inside, it doesn't expand or contract, but JetBlue made me open it to see how many boards were inside. They said it was for board protection. They aren't even good liars. What does a board weigh, five pounds? :evil:
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

Last edited by ScottMac on Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-man

Post by K-man »

The problem is there is a 62''linear limit on baggage.Over,you pay,under you don't.Has to look like luggage,not a board bag.So the object is to find a way to remove,say 10''from the nose of a 5'10 or 6'0.and have a way to reattach it.Don't really use that front part...Gotta be a way.Structually a nightmare..but Someone out there knows something...!Know any engineering students looking for a project?

cheers.
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

I'm imagining the cross section of the shortened board having about 5 FCS plugs and the cut off nose piece fitting into them. Don't forget your Fin-key!
geo

Post by geo »

aahhh United :twisted: :evil:

as a ramp serviceman for 12 years with the friendly skies

#1 we do not treat a board bag any different then any other piece of freight
or baggage

#2 pricing for board bags all depends on the mood of your ticket agent
and if a supervisor is watching

#3 when I was flying on other airlines I was never charge for my boards
yet returning with board bag from the NSG 05 was charged $80
and ticket agent tried to pocket the $20 in change from a $100 Bill

Those in the know realize I can write volumes on treatment by UNITED :evil: :twisted:
NIUHI GRIPS

Post by NIUHI GRIPS »

SOOO...
I GUESS I'M F%*&ED!!!

I PLANNING TO TAKE 3 BOARDS TO PUERTO RICO NEXT FEBRUARY..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
scoop

Post by scoop »

I have to say United got us (Baden, Mash. Jim, Stapo and me) home to Oz without charging for any of our coffins in Jan after the worlds ... at San Fran airport.
We did suck up the the girlz behind the counter though
Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
NIUHI GRIPS

Post by NIUHI GRIPS »

8)
Jimputz

Post by Jimputz »

A bunch of us are heading to Nica in April and are flying a UNITED sponsored flight "operated by" TACA and LACSA.
After returning from Maui I checked with the United customer service people and they said on departure day we will "check-in" at the TACA terminal, not the United terminal.
I looked up the TACA board charges and it said $50 per board bag, 2 boards per person. Sounds good, but like Geo says, it all depends on the mood of the employee at the counter, Supervisor nearby, etc.
:evil:
stemple

Post by stemple »

Flown Taca a few times. They are cool about boards but they always check to see if you have only 2 boards, its double for 3 or 4. Good luck.
sf_firestarter

Post by sf_firestarter »

good reason to always print the board policy before flying. the board changes are the reason I take my body boards when going somewhere with surf for work. never a charge and you don't have to worry about damage.

it really sucks when you basically pay to have your board beaten with a stick.

they make those longboards that are two pieces why not a kneeboard? Funny as my father just brought this up last week. May be a project to consider. Think if it was halfed and removed the fins you could put it in a suitcase and never pay.
Greg Little

Post by Greg Little »

OH, you think United is BAD!!!
Try American... There the worst in the industry.
They even charge there employees, and checked bags are part of the benefit unless as Geo said " It depends on the person behind the counter". I got into it with a part time, minimum wage moron while on my way to Salvador. She charged me 100. one way. I had a little chat with her boss when I got back, and I don't think she will be charging employees anymore :twisted:
We should take a stand on this, because airlines will take skies, snowboards, golf bags, wakeboards, bikes, and waterskies free of charge, and NO embargos on any of these items. Surfers are being maliciously targeted while no other sports are. discrimination :roll: maybe..
ITS BULLSHIT, and should not be tolerated or accepted into practice.
Could you imagine a businessman paying to take his 80lbs golf bag to the country club across country. OH the s*&^ would hit the fan on that one... I can just here it now, "I'll never fly this airline again."
A.K.A.
NIPPLES
Greg Little

Post by Greg Little »

I'm looking to go to Indo in June, and was checking out China airlines.
They charge $100.00 per board each way :shock: :shock:
F@%#ing communist :twisted:
A.K.A.
NIPPLES
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

scoop wrote:I have to say United got us (Baden, Mash. Jim, Stapo and me) home to Oz without charging for any of our coffins in Jan after the worlds ... at San Fran airport.
We did suck up the the girlz behind the counter though
Tony
It was the accent... OK, some charm and good looks, not that I'm a judge, mind you!

I'm practicing my accent now ahem! g'Day... g'day... G'DAY!

Nope. I'm screwed.