United Airlines overpricing.

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Mike Fernandez
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Greg Little wrote:I'm looking to go to Indo in June, and was checking out China airlines.
They charge $100.00 per board each way :shock: :shock:
F@%#ing communist :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PS, I agree with everything you said on the other post too.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Scott

Post by Scott »

For those of you who have been victimized by lousy board handlers--no, let's call them sadistic board handlers--especially by United Airlines, I think you'll love this even though it's about a damaged guitar, not a damaged surfboard. Maybe you've already seen this and had a good laugh...

A musician named Dave Carroll recently had difficulty with United Airlines. United apparently damaged his treasured Taylor guitar ($3500) during a flight. Dave spent over 9 months trying to get United Airlines to pay for damages caused by their baggage handlers to his custom Taylor guitar.

During his final exchange with the United Customer Relations Manager, he stated that he was left with no other choice than to create a music video and posting it on YouTube exposing their lack of cooperation. The Manager responded: "Good luck with that one, pal".

So he posted a retaliatory video on YouTube. The video has since received over 6 million hits. United Airlines contacted the musician and attempted settlement in exchange for pulling the video. Naturally his response was: "Good luck with that one, pal".

Taylor Guitars sent the musician two new custom guitars in appreciation for the product recognition as the video has lead to a sharp increase in orders.

Here's the link to the video... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo&NR=1

BTW, I noticed there are over 23,000 posts below this video! I've never seen anything like that--just shows how excitable people get over feeling victimized by airlines.
evans
Local (More than 25 post)

Post by evans »

i flew korean air to indo last summer and it was 60 per board. the check-in guy asked how many boards i had in my bag and i lied "only one". they had me open my bag and found that it had reproduced and my response was that i thought they asked how many board bags i had. i guess i am a bad liar.

i wanted to know why it cost $120 for one board bag. got the manager and all and it came down to insurance. they insure each board. now, if this is the real reason for the random gouging then shouldn't we have the right to refuse the insurance?
Paul

small justification.

Post by Paul »

Those of us who lived in Puerto Rico during the 1980's onward know exactly why the airlines are gauging surfers. About that time there was a sudden dramatic surge in guys coming down from the east coast, especially from New York. These guys frequently would pay for their new sticks by dumping their bashed and broken boards into a bag and then complain that the airline monkeys did it. The reimbursements sky rocketed. I even heard about guys purposefully breaking boards just to file a claim so that they could help fund a trip. The airline, of course, got wise to it, and started a backlash that has no end in sight! Thanks guys!
randiego

Post by randiego »

Scott, that's an awesome story! I'm borrowing that one! :P
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Mike Fernandez

Re: small justification.

Post by Mike Fernandez »

Paul wrote:Those of us who lived in Puerto Rico during the 1980's onward know exactly why the airlines are gauging surfers. About that time there was a sudden dramatic surge in guys coming down from the east coast, especially from New York. These guys frequently would pay for their new sticks by dumping their bashed and broken boards into a bag and then complain that the airline monkeys did it. The reimbursements sky rocketed. I even heard about guys purposefully breaking boards just to file a claim so that they could help fund a trip. The airline, of course, got wise to it, and started a backlash that has no end in sight! Thanks guys!
Seems to me the airlines should have inspected the board bags, they get to inspect baggage. I have no pity for the airlines. Some like Air NZ will even lie right to your face.
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction