New Zealand advice.

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

farnzilla
Local (More than 25 post)

New Zealand advice.

Post by farnzilla »

Hi all.

My significant other has been talking about taking a fly/drive tour of New Zealand.

I wasn't overly keen at first, until I started thinking about the surf potential.

She has been talking about a two week trip in late October this year.

Destinations which combine the chance of a surf with sight-seeing activities would be great. Unfortunately, my knowledge of New Zealand is very limited, and any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
MF :arrow:
red
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by red »

NZ surf spots
http://www.surf.co.nz/regions/beachguid ... achKey=122

KSNZ http://www.ksnz.org.nz/

I visited Taranaki region (N Island) couple of months ago for a contest. Battled to find a wave with people on it (wasn't keen to hit 6'+ surf in a strange spot all alone). New Plymouth has a large surf population, and the spots south are within a couple of hours' drive. Check out cemetry and greenmeadows.

One thing that blew me away is the tidal range. It's 3m! You start off with a few m walk to the water in the morning - by low tide it's a 1/2km hike across the rocks! Of course this means that the wave changes every few minutes.

Water temp in Taranaki was similar to S NSW, even with snow on the volcano. Water's colder on the other side of the island. I highly recommend the Aukland to Taranaki road trip, but I'm sure your other half wants to go to the fiords and stuff on S Island.

O yeah, the electric fences are charged and a wet rubber suit is no protection - zzzt!. Also you may have to stop to let the milk herd by when you're trying to get to the surf breaks.
scoop

Post by scoop »

farnz

try contacting murray weir in New Zealand

weirdandm@infogen.net.nz

He's in the New Plymouth area

he should be able to help you out

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Hi Farnz
I have done 3 trips to NZ surfing, all on the north island, I am yet to experience to joys of the south island.

But, I hired and 8 birth camper van for three of us and cruised in and out of every dirt road I could find. An awesome way to travel NZ, find a good spot and stay there as long as you can. A definate stop on the north island is Raglan, I am sure you would have heard of it. Its like Byron Bay 20 years ago. There is waves all the way around, but definately hook up with Murray Weir down in the Taranaki region to score awesome waves with minimal people. Murray is da man
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
goat_cheeser
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

Post by goat_cheeser »

Farnz,

I agree with Red - this is a good site to start from http://www.ksnz.org.nz/

I went to both islands a few years ago and Craig MacDonald from that site hooked me up with a board. Way cool since I was coming all the way over from the states and did not want to bring my board for 2 days of surfing. I surfed Piha and had a great time. Raglan is a must if it is breaking for you. Definitely, check out the homestays if you do not have any lodging planned. It is a great way to enjoy the country.

Peace,
Jamie
farnzilla

Post by farnzilla »

Thanks gents.

At least I can sound half switched on when dealing with the travel agent.

Have there been any previous threads relating to travelling with
board(s) by air - specifically dealing with Australian carriers. ie how much extra does it cost etc...?

and

In October, how cold is the surf in N.Z? Being from Qld I only own a spring suit, which only gets used a couple of months a year.

Regards
Mark F.
Just one more wave!!!
scoop

New Zealand or bust

Post by scoop »

Farnz

Im told by Murray that Thai Airways doesnt charge for boards but not sure if they fly via Brisbane to NZ....Air NZ charged me $20 Sydney to San Fran so should'nt be worse....I have done air Vanuatu and Ansett no charge at all but not to NZ
It will all come down to the package deal you get....look on the internet for cheap flights
www.bestflights.com.au or
www.virginblue.com.au....I think they now fly to NZ
Hope this helps

Tony
Love that "greenroom" feeling...(don't panic I finally found it)..... good ole' winki on a good day
red

Post by red »

Farnz,
I got this cheap ticket from Air NZ last year. On the way back from Aukland to Melbourne they made me pay like $50 "handling charge" for my boards and wanted to charge me excess for being 2kg over 10kg (my wetsuits and stuff). I paid for the boards (very pissed off), complained about the fat fukker sitting next to me who had more than his fair share of excess weight, opened my suitcase and put on 2kg of clothes, then put it back on the scale.

Very unimpressed with Air NZ because of the crap they handed out and with the travel agent because they failed to mention that I had to limit my buggage to a hat and skimpy swimsuit.
scoop

Post by scoop »

red

its funny that each airline adopts different attitudes with weight
My daughter recently flew to Canada with air canada and could have 2 X 30kg bags plus her carry on bags

weird

tony
DavidW
Ripper (more than 100 posts)
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by DavidW »

Farnz, get the RV. Jack, Greg and I rented one in 99 and had a blast. We got the shorter version of what Steen rented. We offroaded the snot out of the thing and surfed many great waves in Raglan and the Taranaki coastline. One of my favorite trips, the nicest people you will meet anywhere.
fooj

Post by fooj »

May go to surf loooong lefts later this year.