Naming names: what's cool in terms of posting photos?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

a good discussion, with no crap... :lol: too cool
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
toofast3
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by toofast3 »

I think you guys are reading to much ito this. You really think there are that many people searching the interent looking for spots to surf ??.. If anything, I think it`s people doing road trips and stuble onto a break and happens to be breaking and remembering where it was for the next time. I think thats more realalistic.
kneelingBROTHA
Legend (Contribution King!)

Post by kneelingBROTHA »

There are two parties in secret-spot disclosure discussions on the internet, always, and it doesn't seem to change.
1) Locals only--don't share the name of the spot.
2) It's a public beach!--nobody owns the ocean, so tell me where it is.

Its a tough call. There are spots around the South Bay I definitely don't advertise. And in the end, while so many would call it "out of respect to the locals" and "keeping it secret", I honestly think its an issue of selfishness--for everyone. But is this really wrong? If I know of an uncrowded spot that has waves fairly consistently, and know that if I told many people where it was, it would be crowded, do you think I will tell everyone? No. And whether one likes to admit it or not, it boils down to self interest.

I agree that locals of a spot always deserve a certain amount of respect; some of the guys you see out there may have even pioneered the break you are surfing. That's a really amazing accomplishment, and it should be treated as such.

But let's be real people: when you hide the name and location of a spot, is it "out of respect for the locals", or is it to keep it private?

At least for me, its to keep it private. The spots I know of that I don't talk about are nice nooks in the world that one can find some peace--and heavy tubes--out at. And in the end, I don't think keeping a spot secret out of want for peace and quiet is really an issue.
dropkneeing is a sin...isn't it?
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

kneeling... I agree with you about "being selfish". I didn`t think of it that way. But I see that as being very true. Who doesn`t like having a break to them selfs or with only a couple other guys. We all do. If we are respectful, then I see no fowl in it.
alfredo zavala

Post by alfredo zavala »

Vague is vogue. That is my vote.

Lets face it, its pretty darn crowded now a days.

I'd say its almost out of control in some places.

Whenever I surf down in So Cal I think to myself that If I lived down there I probably would quit. it is so depressing.

There is the Kneelo brotherhood though. . .

I am a PM away to you kneelos out there.

Forget about it if you are a standup. Sorry :)

That being said, I have some secrets i keep to myself because they are too precious. Totally selfish I admit.

This is a public site so that is something to think about when naming spots.

My 2 cents
Shelfbreak

Post by Shelfbreak »

Kneeling Brotha

You hit the nail on the head, its all about self interest. I often sigh when a gaggle paddles out to a spot when it's good and relatively uncrowded. But having a false sense of entitlement cause I live near the break is another matter altogether.

Would you respect someone that pushed in in front of you at the store, or demanded preferential treatment for their children on the basis that they had lived there longer than you?. Courtesy is a two way street.

This doesn't mean I support naming places on the net. But we should never kowtow to those 'locals' who try an intimidate visitors who in many cases are happy just to pick up some waves on the margins.
Shelfbreak
gumby

Post by gumby »

This really boils down to how many times have you been to the spot. If you surf there alot and don't mind another wave rider knowing how good it can get. Cool. If it is your first time at a spot and some one else turned you on to it. You find it at best ever and get a few pictures. It's ok to keep your mouth shut.

Remember a picture is worth a 1000 words.
Those waves were so great I am going back tomorrow. :wink:
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Alfredo - interstingly on my trips to SB this winter it was way more crowded than it is here in the OC!!! Just ridiculous crowds! Today for example we got really fun waves at River Jetties (smack in the middle of the OC) with a really light crowd. Your area is a different story I believe but come to the OC and you'll get plenty!

Jimbo
southpeakbrad

Post by southpeakbrad »

I haven't been aware of anyone getting mad that spots aren't named. I think that if a spot's not named people are kind of used to it. I kind of like not knowing a name for a spot as much as I like seeing the name. Like others have said you often can recognize a spot from having surfed there or having seen it in a pic before. Also, you may know a spot based on who posted it. Adam took me to a spot that Rob's filmed, and shot, that is pretty special but it's for them to name if they want to. I was a bit suprised to see some pics actually show up of it last year, but also was stoked to see them 8)

I used to think that Geno's surf reports were cool. Places like Chingas, Stigmata and on and on were fun. I have a fun early morning spot I call Patrolman's. In case anyone was wondering, San Diego's favorite beach break is Blacks, a name I've used for some pics of my favorite. I guess it's fun to not just state the obvious.

While in AUS I meant to ask where some of the spots in Now and Then were shot at but forgot so I still have that wonderment. I mean, isn't it better to wonder, and to then ask around, where a spot is rather than have it announced across the screen at the start of each new section? That said, I liked it in Inside and Out..... oh well :roll: :D
Jack Beresford

shelf

Post by Jack Beresford »

Shelf - you hit the nail on the head when you said: "I often sigh when a gaggle paddles out to a spot when it's good and relatively uncrowded." In terms of surf etiquette, it strikes me as really bad form when like eight surfers all show up together - especially for the dawn patrol.

(Pardon another gripe) And doesn't it seem like every time you're the first one out at some wide open beach break and some guys show up - that they inevitably paddle out right where you're surfing?

OK - enough venting. Time to go surfing!

Jack
Jon Manss

Post by Jon Manss »

Sorry to hear that Jack. I can't remember the last time a paddle out in a crowd or have been crowded out where I was surfing. But then again I can't remember the last time I paddled out. :shock:
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

It's funny, Jack. I've often noticed that phenomenon when you show up at a spot that's iffy ... some folks may be checking it out, others show and leave because they can't see anyone getting waves. Someone like you paddles out and starts ripping the cr*p out of the waves, so everyone on the beach is going, "yowza! It's better than I thought!" Then all those dorks that were standing on the bluff decide they better paddle out and get some.

It's a purely situational perception thing. If you weren't such a talented surfer you'd spend more time surfing alone.

Kook Out! Image
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
Dunc

Post by Dunc »

I'm in the vague is vogue camp but think what Toofast say's is right. Generally surfers have a good knowledge of what conditions are needed to make different stretches of coastline work so know when it's going to be on. Also the longer you surf the more you here about this spot or that and know the general area they are in. If you put those two things together you can workout where to surf yourself if you want to check out some new spots.
The way I always work it is not by telling people where spots are or labelling pictures but having an open invite. If someone wants to surf my neck of the woods then they're welcome to give me a call and I'll take them to the best spot for the conditions on that day. Regardless of whether it's a secret or not.
Even if you've seen a picture of a named spot going off if you turn up on the wrong tide/wind direction/ swell direction then your going to be dissapointed. A name doesn't give it all away.
stemple

Post by stemple »

I like to know the names. I however do spend some time seeking out new spots and figuring out when to go get them. Its kinda like a hobby. Bird watchers seek out different birds i like to try and get rare spots going off. I am lucky that I work up and down the state so my schedule is somewhat flexible.

To a certain extent, the more info out there and somebody like me is going to find out about it. I never bring a crowd and its usually by myself. The real question is what you do with the information you have gathered; do you keep it for yourself, tell five of your friends, or do you write a new guide book.

Back country skiers are alot like surfers. One of my favorite ski spots was unknown for years. its less than 1 mile from my place. I only shared its location with a few friends for over 20 years. Three years ago you could still pull up to trailhead at 11:00 am on a Saturday and find maybe 2 cars. Just through word of mouth and a few new internet citations (this year). This year I have not skiied the spot with less than 10 cars in the lot and most yet has been over 20. Last time I went I met a group of six skiers, one recent local and five of his buddies from new york that he was showing around. You have to be vague to slow it down.

Its been a real reality check for me.
Smokin Rock

Post by Smokin Rock »

that pretty much summed it up for me as well Dunc. the only thing i'd add was... if i take you to those spots....i expect you to be vague as well when it comes to the internet. Steen and others made a good point in the uselessness of trying to be vague about hugely popular breaks. why bother? personally i'm stoked so many flock to these few breaks. on the N. Shore for instance, 90% of all the dickhead standups go to Sunset, Rockies or Pipe which leaves lots of other breaks lots less congested. 8)
here on the Big Isle we have many spots that are not only good on occassion but also in an area considered hugely sacred by the Hawaiians.
suffice to say it would not be a healthy move to splatter that all over the internet....if you ever wanted to come back. :shock:
be carefull of those internet forecasting and reporting sites. the best day of the year at Lighthouse, hawaiisurfnews.com told everyone not to bother with the north side because of blown out stormy conditions. the swell was 4-6' and the wind....straight offshore. who says you can't herd cats? :lol:
"This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before." Butt-head