Naming names: what's cool in terms of posting photos?

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Jack Beresford
Legend (Contribution King!)

Naming names: what's cool in terms of posting photos?

Post by Jack Beresford »

The photo gallery is my favorite part of this site - so much good stuff going on there these days - thanks contributors!

However, I'm curious what people think is proper etiquette in terms of naming the spots you posted pictures about? I'm sure arguments can be made at both ends of the spectrum. It could also be argued that it depends on the break - some are considered more "secret" or sensitive to crowds than others.

With all the information out there these days on the Web it's tough to argue that a few pics on this little site make much of a difference - but it's also about the principle of the thing too.

So what's cool?
Steeno
Legend (Contribution Guru)
Legend (Contribution Guru)

Post by Steeno »

Hey Jack
good point, some waves are really consistent and are very well known anyway. I guess these waves have been publicised for years....like Blacks for instance, pipe, snapper, aussie pipe and a million others that people all over the world have seen in magazines etc Then there are places like Jerry's, frencho's, Hosea, some of mine and some of robs from this site, with not too much name dropping going on there. To me this is where the etiquette is required. Some location details are OK to me, because 99% of people would not find them anyway or would have to be very lucky to fluk a turn up when it cranking.

its a fine line....and there are no waves here.....just ask Mike he drove straight past
:wink:
http://legless.tv/

dad
coach
godfather
DarcyM

Post by DarcyM »

I think a lot of people have gotten overly sensitive about this. I see the point though that if you post a name on the internet it can show up on a random Google search that would lead them here. Even by someone totally unfamiliar with KSUSA, for instance.

However, those who are familiar with the named breaks can pretty much recognize landmarks, break direction, location of the photographer, random people, or other clues so that if you post a picture of Swami's for instance, and call it "somewhere in Encinitas" or maybe even "North county reef" ... yeah, we'll know where it is. Does having another one of maybe ten million pictures of Swami's, Blacks, Windansea, Steamer Lane or ...? ... that are available on the internet really make a difference? Probably not.

Realistically as well, does posting a picture on the internet of a place that so rarely breaks or is so fickle as to be completely flat or unsurfable 90% of the time (ie, the "Gong") really increase the surfing traffic to the spot just because you were lucky enough to get a picture of it when it was totally on? Again, probably not. Still might cause the locals who are in tune and on it when it's on to be upset.

I sympathize with the locals, I do, but I don't share their sensitivity. I think that if someone really wants to they will find a place, search the 'net, ask their friends, camp out or maybe even luck into it when it's good. There's enough information out there on the 'Net that there really aren't very many secret spots anymore. The secret is to have enough information to know the right time of year, tide, swell, wind direction, etc. And to have the time and effort (or money) needed to find the place or gain access to it, via a boat, aircraft, dirigible, etc.

For most of us, most of the time, the best we can do is get down to our local on the weekend or rare holiday. And I'm stoked to see good pics of my local break. Even if I wasn't out that day.
dm

"Push the button, Max!"
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

The safe route for spots that aren't well known and identifiable is 'vague is vogue.'

This goes back to a few gatherings say... '04-'05. While ALL of the spots appear in Bank Wright's classic, folks are still sensitive.

Oh, and... and... and... BOLSACHICA!!!

(ga-zoooo-tight!) :wink:
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

The internet works both ways. There are locals around here who do
use Google regularly to keep track of what's being posted on the web
about certain sensitive spots.

It's a small world and getting smaller every day. No need to speed things
up if you ask me.
JohnS
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by JohnS »

Last edited by JohnS on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Beresford

naming names

Post by Jack Beresford »

These issues certain go back long before the Internet - when surf mags and surf movie producers had to decide what breaks to show and/or name. Even at the individual level, it was taboo to call your friends when the waves were really going off. In addition to being bad form I always thought it bad luck to tell everyone "hey Blacks was roping today - it's going to be good in the morning." Seems like it's never the same two days in a row anyway.

OK - maybe I'd tell my brother, but definitely not Greg and Wino!
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

The three breaks that are the bulk of the photos I've posted are known to all :evil: I won't name them, out of force of habit and respect to the locals ( which includes me ) We have been in all the major surf magazines as far back as the early 70's. Punch in the right words and we are all over google. While surfing in the Philippines I've met people from Australia, New Zealand and Japan who assumed I was from California :oops: When I told them I was from Oregon, on more than one occasion they have said: " Oh, you surf that left point " :?: :!: So much for this being a secret spot. It's a pretty good wave but hardly worth traveling half way around the world to surf. And while we get our fair share of Norcal guys ( and gals ), who would want to travel a thousand miles north from southern California when your chances for good waves would be so much better a thousand miles to the south :roll: And in the years since I've been posting a picture from time to time on this site, the place has not exactly become overrun with kneeboarders :wink: But I do look forward to the arrival of T.K. from S.F. this weekend. And I won't mention that as I type this, its snowing outside. And the surf forcast for this weekend is dismal :cry:
None rich, none poor. Everyone happy.
toofast3

Post by toofast3 »

This is a subject that I really disagree with. Naming spots. Especaily here.
So what, name the spot. What are the chances that someone is going to plan a trip to a "secret spot" and get there and there are waves. Very unlikely. If someone is going to plan something, it`s going to be a place that the chances of waves is good and there is something else to do just incase it`s flat. The chances of me seeing a pic on this site of a break and finding it, of coarse out of my local area, is pretty dam slim. I can hardly remember which foot goes in which shoe.
The other part of this is, if you aren`t willing to share, then why should I should I allow you to surf where I do ?? Just because the places I may surf are known or maybe they aren`t?? I don`t think so.
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

First of all, "secret spots" shouldn't be named at all out of respect to locals.
Then again, there aren't that many left nowadays. Named spots can be found way too easy on the internet these days. Fortunately, alot of locals that surf with me do not reveal the real names of surf spots. It's just like in the early 70's that may locals did not like photographers taking photos of the breaks. But when certain spots are posted you end up recognizing
landmarks, break direction, shape of the waves, etc. It comes down to "doing the time" to be there at the right time of year, tide, swell, wind direction, etc. And 'vague is vogue.'
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Hello Toofast,

I think the counterpoint scenario goes kinda like this...

Start with what Jerry said. A mention of a site that looks really good leads to a web search.

There, at the top of the list, is a reference to a wiki... or something like wannasurf.

All information about the break is there... when to go, where to stay, tides, winds, etc.

Information makes it too easy, and 'the search' goes from years of accumulation of knowledge to hours of desktime.

On the other hand, if the information is horded, and maybe shared via PMs... such as 'I want to go someplace South of the largest city Down Under where there are no waves,' I'd PM Steeno.

That argument seems like a losing battle with the rising population of surfers, accessibility and knowledge.

That's where Scotty's point comes in... maybe slow it down a bit.

Alvin Toeffler hit on this years ago... PowerShift, etc.

There are few, if any, secret spots in SoCal. The word got out! People, by nature, don't like that change. No coincidence it's the same people that seek and benefit from the same search...

Anyhow, the safe route is really a nod of respect to those that feel any step in that direction is a threat to the power of information gained through lots of hard work. They're protecting their profits. These are the same folks that will share with those that respect that.

And so it goes...
ScottMac

Post by ScottMac »

You're right Mark.

Anybody these days can Google the name of a spot and a list of hits
comes up. The thing is - if it's a hit on THIS site it reflects on all of us
as kneeboarders.

Most of us kneeboarders have been around long enough to have travelled
and know our way around this coastline. You shouldn't need to have a
roadmap drawn out for you on the web by this time. :roll:
SFKneelo

Post by SFKneelo »

Zoinks!

Missed Mark's post :oops:

8)
randiego

Post by randiego »

I liked Mark's take - 'Vague is Vogue', and I try to follow that - but I probably haven't been consistent.

And, as Scott said, I'd hate to have an internet search hit on some of my photos or whatever.

Sometimes though, it's just obvious. Kneelo Cove!

Last edited by randiego on Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Mark Ramirez

Post by Mark Ramirez »

SF, We were probably typing our posts at the same time! :o