Baja Bandits

This forum is designed for you to post your travels, inquire about destinations or plan a trip.

Moderator: Moderator

Tom Linn
Legend (Contribution King!)

Baja Bandits

Post by Tom Linn »

Does any one have first hand information about the recent instances of theif and assualt on surfers in Baja?

There were several assualts that occurred in late 2007. Does anyone know if more have occurred since then? Have the authorities cracked down and made the area safer? Are these isolated events or does the visitor to Norhtern Baja have a legitimate reason to fear the area?

I have heard that business and crowds are way down in Baja as a result of the publicity arising from the Baja bandits. Is this true?

I have not been to Baja for a year or so and wanted some info in advance of a trip I'm planning with my kids down there.

Any honest info would be greatly appreciated.
randiego

Post by randiego »

Tom - the reports have been blown a bit out of proportion, but the ones that happened are serious. However, it's far more dangerous to be a be a Mexican businessman down there - there have been a lot of kidnappings.

Anecdotally, the stories about americans having problems seem to happen to people that are very visible - pickups with trailers and a bunch of toys in the back, surfboards on the roof, stuff like that.

Crowds are down, and the tourist-oriented businesses are really suffering. (I think Papas and Beer closed - not that you'd go there but as an indicator of how bad things are). The army is very visible these days and I think it's a good thing. I think you'll find you'll be treated very well, especially in the Rosarito area.

Are you talking about a day trip, or camping with the boys? Bob Gove and I go down just about every weekend - either saturday or sunday, and many weekends both days - it depends on the swell/weather. We can provide guidance on the places to park/surf/eat/camp... send either of us a PM with dates you're thinking about going down.

"Tomorrow is a promise to no one."
Jack Beresford

baja

Post by Jack Beresford »

Tom,

Several stories on this subject have run in the San Diego Union Tribune. The U-T's Web site/archive is at www.signonsandiego.com

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find actual crime stats. Just anecdotal stuff.

Personally, I wouldn't camp anywhere north of Ensenada. South of there will depend on the spot. I've heard of some problems at places like Pta. Cabras.

Jack
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

Thanks for the input Jack and Randy. I would like to take the groms down this summer but have to be sure its safe.
surfhorn

Post by surfhorn »

The Mexican gov't. has stepped up law enforcement considerably. This after stores and shops in Tijuana started closing their doors due to the lack of tourists.

Can't go wrong jumping on AeroMexico and flying to the tip.
kbing since plywood days
jim richardson
Ripper (more than 100 posts)

Post by jim richardson »

I always say Baja is way to Dangerous for travel!!

The truth is it is dangerous at times like these if you make yourself a target. Like Randy said if you head down with all your toys stacked on top of or towed behind your brand new car your asking for trouble. The law as well as the thieves see dollar signs when you put on this type of display. Every story about U.S. tourists being hassled start with a line that tells what type of vehicle they were driving and most of the time it is a new vehicle and they have had a trailer of some kind as well.

I have had a place in Baja for the past few years and it was recently burglarized for the first time. This is something that I have expected would happen down there. Eight places were burgled in one night. An unattended trailer left in Baja, even behind a locked gate is subject to thievery. I was more upset about having to fix the window they broke to get in than I was about what they took. Which wasn't much a 13" dvd player TV combo that cost me $69. Baja is a third world country the people are looking for a way to survive and sometimes they take the easy way. I figure I will be good for anther five years or so before the next break in. When I lived in Long Beach my next door neighbor was broken into four times in one year and we lived in a nice part of town.

The problems that have been happening down there with the drug cartels and the police are not new. Granted the stuff that has been publicized lately has been insane and I wouldn't want to be caught in the middle of a drug war with my kids and there friends in tow let alone by myself. I also believe a lot of what we have heard lately is media hype mixed up with some internet BS and some real BS. How many people were broken into shot or kidnapped in California yesterday? A buttload! But we didn't hear about it because it probably didn't involve the COLOMBIAN DRUG CARTEL in Mission Viejo. The media loves to hype the cartel.

The cops in Baja will grift you if you let them. If you are pulled over and you have done nothing wrong then stand your ground. Ask to go and see the captain or judge to discuss the issue and explain yourself. Sometimes this will take you to the police station but you wont go inside to see anyone and rarely will it end in you paying any kind of fine. They will have you fallow them there to try to scare you into opening your wallet. Most of the time they will just let you be on your way without any more hassle. Stay out of town and you will stay out of trouble in Baja.

I say make the trip Tom. The crowds are way down. It is like the 70's down there. If you are looking for a place to stay or local knowledge give me a pm or E-mail.
:D
KEL

Post by KEL »

After I had my last daughter (shes 5 now) I figured the liability too high. They also just posted a travel alert last week. (which is a grade below dont travel there at all.....so use caution)... KEL
gumby

Post by gumby »

Just hang out in Santa Ana for a while :P then go to your local break.
To do what I want to do
I have to do what have to do

Craig
kidrock

Post by kidrock »

I have lived near Mexican border towns nearly my entire life. It has ALWAYS had a certain danger factor. That factor has grown exponentially since 9/11. The 3 biggest factors for these changes are:

1) The subsequent closing of the borders, and the treatment of illegal Mexican aliens in the U.S. has changed the perceptions of Mexican citizens towards the U.S.;
2) The shutting down of U.S. manufacturing of methamphetamine, which has become almost the sole domain of Mexico, and
3) The huge growth of the Mexican drug trafficking trade, and the subsequent growth of violence, due to competition over drug routes into the U.S.

If certain tourists believe that Mexico is still safe due to the fact that nothing has yet happened to them, they are only biding their time before the inevitable occurs. It doesn't matter if you are driving a cherried-out F-350 diesel laden with toys and hot blonde women, or if you are driving a beater 1964 VW Van. Your number will eventually come up.

The only thing that will save Mexico is when the tourism dries up, and the government decides to take REAL action. Don't count on that happening anytime soon.

If you MUST go to Mex, I recommend going to lesser-known spots. But, there will always be a certain amount of risk involved.
"So if you want to kneeboard, find the hollowest waves you can, ride as short of a board as possible and go fast and deep. If you want to slip and slide, twist and jerk, go for air then stand up and do it. Let’s keep kneeboarding sacred."
-Bird Huffman
KAVA

Post by KAVA »

from the US state departments travel advisory site

Travel Alert
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Bureau of Consular Affairs
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This information is current as of today, Fri Apr 25 00:58:33 2008.

Mexico

April 14, 2008

This Travel Alert updates information for U.S. citizens on security situations in Mexico that may affect their activities while in that country. This supersedes the Travel Alert for Mexico dated October 24, 2007, and expires on October 15, 2008.

Violence Along The U.S.-Mexico Border
-------------------------------------

Violent criminal activity fueled by a war between criminal organizations struggling for control of the lucrative narcotics trade continues along the U.S.-Mexico border. Attacks are aimed primarily at members of drug trafficking organizations, Mexican police forces, criminal justice officials, and journalists. However, foreign visitors and residents, including Americans, have been among the victims of homicides and kidnappings in the border region. In its effort to combat violence, the government of Mexico has deployed military troops in various parts of the country. U.S. citizens are urged to cooperate with official checkpoints when traveling on Mexican highways.

Recent Mexican army and police force conflicts with heavily-armed narcotics cartels have escalated to levels equivalent to military small-unit combat and have included use of machine guns and fragmentation grenades. Confrontations have taken place in numerous towns and cities in northern Mexico, including Tijuana in the Mexican state of Baja California, and Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez in the state of Chihuahua. The situation in northern Mexico remains very fluid; the location and timing of future armed engagements there cannot be predicted.

Armed robberies and carjackings, apparently unconnected to the narcotics-related violence, have increased in Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez. Dozens of U.S. citizens were kidnapped and/or murdered in Tijuana in 2007. Public shootouts have occurred during daylight hours near shopping areas.

Criminals are armed with a wide array of sophisticated weapons. In some cases, assailants have worn full or partial police or military uniforms and have used vehicles that resemble police vehicles.

U.S. citizens are urged to be especially alert to safety and security concerns when visiting the border region. While Mexican citizens overwhelmingly are the victims of these crimes, this uncertain security situation poses risks for U.S. citizens as well. Thousands of U.S. citizens cross the border safely each day, exercising common-sense precautions such as visiting only legitimate business and tourist areas of border towns during daylight hours. It is strongly recommended that travelers avoid areas where prostitution and drug dealing occur.
Criminals have followed and harassed U.S. citizens traveling in their vehicles, particularly in border areas including Nuevo Laredo, Matamoros, and Tijuana. There is no evidence, however, that U.S. citizens are targeted because of their nationality.

U.S. citizen victims of crime in Mexico are urged to contact the consular section of the nearest U.S. consulate or Embassy for advice and assistance.
"Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air… "
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
6'1", dean cleary tri, 6'0 Flashpoint tri, 5'9 chuck dent (epoxy quad), 9' velzy (single fin triple stringer)
Mike Fernandez

Post by Mike Fernandez »

BREAKING NEWS!

Rival gangs battled in the streets of Tijuana Saturday April 26, 2008 with more than 12 people dead, assault rifles/AK-47's used. Reports still coming in. :cry:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexi ... shoot.html
I am a traveller of both time and space, a weaver in and out of dreams, I see worlds seldom seen.

www.michaelfernandezphoto.com
Rocky Point/Black Rock
http://www.youtube.com/user/kneelocoveproduction
Tom Linn

Post by Tom Linn »

1500 spent bullit cartridges at the crime scene! No surfers killed however.
jim richardson

Post by jim richardson »

Maybe next time? :shock:
balzig777
Grom (25 or less posts to site)
Grom (25 or less posts to site)

baja danger

Post by balzig777 »

Tom Linn wrote:Thanks for the input Jack and Randy. I would like to take the groms down this summer but have to be sure its safe.
Mex has always had the danger factor, that along with the waves, food, and lack of crowds where the main reason I traveled in mex extensivly in the 80's and 90's, surfed breaks that I never saw humans surf exept for who I came with. Mex goes in cycles as far as danger goes, its always there somtimes more than other times, when the danger is high the crowds are down. But one rule I always followed was no women or kids in isolated areas, two or three guys, no night driving, if theres rocks , treelimbs or a guy laying in the road back it up and go the other way. Don't call attention to yourself as much as possable, its like going to wisconson, you get in and get out. Later TOM
made on earth, if it aint you don't know where its made later..............balestar